Cancelled IUI

OK. So I am very confused. Hubby had his SA done a year ago. Everything came back better than normal. Since then, I had a lap that revealed stage III endometriosis. Removed it all… Then, we naturally for a bit.

We ultimately opted for an IUI this month. Everything was coming up roses, 2 awesome follicles, trigger shot, and we were all ready to go. We go in for the IUI last week, and hubby’s counts were way low, the RE cancelled. We were devastated.

So hubby goes in for another analysis this week, and the count came back high again. Wait. What?! So confused!

Anyone else experience extreme fluctuations in count like this? So close together? Makes no sense!

[QUOTE=UberFoodie]OK. So I am very confused. Hubby had his SA done a year ago. Everything came back better than normal. Since then, I had a lap that revealed stage III endometriosis. Removed it all… Then, we naturally for a bit.

We ultimately opted for an IUI this month. Everything was coming up roses, 2 awesome follicles, trigger shot, and we were all ready to go. We go in for the IUI last week, and hubby’s counts were way low, the RE cancelled. We were devastated.

So hubby goes in for another analysis this week, and the count came back high again. Wait. What?! So confused!

Anyone else experience extreme fluctuations in count like this? So close together? Makes no sense![/QUOTE]

Could be the number of days between when you bd. The more days between, the worse the count is.

In me and my husband case he needs to wait about 4 days in between to get good numbers. But there was one time that we had a low count it was a fluke. The next month everything was fine. it could have been an off day?

[QUOTE=prinny]Could be the number of days between when you bd. The more days between, the worse the count is.[/QUOTE]

Yeah… But varying from 5 million to 137 million? With no discernible differences in BD spacing? So weird!

[QUOTE=UberFoodie]Yeah… But varying from 5 million to 137 million? With no discernible differences in BD spacing? So weird![/QUOTE]

They cancelled it because you only had 5 million. 5 mil should still be good. When we had our it was like 1.2 and we still did it. they just didn’t charge us for the iui.

[QUOTE=rach007]They cancelled it because you only had 5 million. 5 mil should still be good. When we had our it was like 1.2 and we still did it. they just didn’t charge us for the iui.[/QUOTE]

We were going to be out at least 1000 for it because insurance pays nothing. Doc left the choice up to us but recommended against it. That was pre wash. She charged us nothing because we were so upset. She was very cool about it. No hard feelings about the cancellation. Just very confused about the huge swing in #s.

Sorry to hear about the cancelled IUI. I think maybe it’s just a fluke. My RE did tell me to make sure it was no more than 3 days old when doing IUI. Also, she recommended BDing no sooner than 24 hours before the scheduled IUI. Those things may affect the #s =(

Sperm can fluctuate alot. It all depends on if he’s been sick, if he’s released more/less often, or just wasn’t into giving a sample or was scared. I am sorry they cancelled you, but i’d say get to BDing since he can have a high count. You just never know.

Goodluck!

Do flukes like this happen?

[QUOTE=UberFoodie]Do flukes like this happen?[/QUOTE]

Yep. He could of had a fever or something that caused it to be lower. He could have released to close to IUI. He could have taken a hot shower before IUI. All kinds of things effect a mans sperm.

AWESOME. Thanks for making me feel better. Hadn’t spoken to RE yet as they just emailed over results. Here’s to the old fashioned way with 2 perfect follicles! We shall see!

I agree with the others, if you’ve done the trigger shot and your follies are nice and ready then BD as much as you can. I’m sorry the IUI didn’t happen though.

I am about to do my third IUI and I always get so paranoid about the sperm count portion. I am worried that we don’t BD enough or sometimes too much. I talked to my clinic this morning and my IUI could likely be on Saturday and my hubby and I BD’d last night, so I asked what we should do. She said no more until the IUI.

My hubby has always had good to very good samples, but this time he had to take antibiotics about 3 weeks ago to a month ago (just broad range ones) Does anyone know if antibiotics can affect counts?

Thanks so much!!