Cats okay with newborns?

For the past couple of years our 3 cats have been our “babies”. But now that we surprisingly have 3 babies on the way to join them, I just wanted to make sure that there aren’t any issues that we aren’t aware of with cats. They only have back claws and are pretty chill. But they can totally jump over any fence we put up, so maybe for the first few weeks that the babies are in the cribs, we keep the door closed at the monitor on. Is cat litter bad for babies or just a pregnant mom?

It just stinks that our two best potential helpers are allergic to cats.

We have 3 cats and it’s not a problem if you use common sense, like with any animal, or even person.

I’d keep them out of any room that has the babies in it if you are not in there and awake. Only allow them to be around when you can see what is going on first hand. You don’t want them snuggling with the baby, or thinking a flopping arm in an invitation to play. Get to know each one’s reactions, and then still of course monitor the situation at all times - but you are because it’s a baby anyway.

Also, litter isn’t bad for anyone but cat feces (and even dirt) can have bacteria in it that you want to do your best to avoid always. Keep your litter boxes clean. Keep all you baby linens and any play/hangout areas clean. Etc… but this just stuff you’ll be doing anyway.

Just keep things clean and tidy, and keep an extra close eye on everyone until you’re sure how they will behave and you’ll be fine.

Congrats!

Well, the dust of the litter can be bad if you inhale it or ingest it, but it’s not a concern if you’re not actively changing it, I think, so the babies will be fine.

We were a little unsure how the changes would affect our cats and dogs, but we were actually surprised how well it went over. You might find the animals get a little parental once they get used to the babies.

Sounds good! Thanks for the info you two!

We’ve got five cats, and I’m beginning to try to figure out what to do and when… We have one cat who is not going to like “losing” his territory (the spare bedroom that will become the kid’s room)… not sure where we’re going to put his litter box now. Hmmmm.

The funny thing I’m enjoying now is all the attention the cats are paying me… I must smell really maternal or something. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=RangersFan4Life]For the past couple of years our 3 cats have been our “babies”. But now that we surprisingly have 3 babies on the way to join them, I just wanted to make sure that there aren’t any issues that we aren’t aware of with cats. They only have back claws and are pretty chill. But they can totally jump over any fence we put up, so maybe for the first few weeks that the babies are in the cribs, we keep the door closed at the monitor on. Is cat litter bad for babies or just a pregnant mom?

It just stinks that our two best potential helpers are allergic to cats.[/QUOTE]

We have 2 cats. They pretty much ignored the baby until she started to crawl. And then they started peeing on her stuff - so they now have their part of the house and baby has her part of the house and they can look at each other and have visitation on neutral ground. Stinks, but so does cat pee.

They still run like the dickens from her, but she’s getting faster!

[QUOTE=Cannady]We’ve got five cats, and I’m beginning to try to figure out what to do and when… We have one cat who is not going to like “losing” his territory (the spare bedroom that will become the kid’s room)… not sure where we’re going to put his litter box now. Hmmmm.

The funny thing I’m enjoying now is all the attention the cats are paying me… I must smell really maternal or something. :)[/QUOTE]

Wow, and I thought we had a lot of cats! I know what you mean about “smell(ing) maternal”. Our cats are constantly sniffing my wife’s belly and starting to sleep on top of it, lol. It’s like they know what’s going on. Good luck with the cat dilemma and pregnancy!

[QUOTE=essemkay]We have 2 cats. They pretty much ignored the baby until she started to crawl. And then they started peeing on her stuff - so they now have their part of the house and baby has her part of the house and they can look at each other and have visitation on neutral ground. Stinks, but so does cat pee.

They still run like the dickens from her, but she’s getting faster![/QUOTE]

Sooo, did your cats ever pee on anything else b/c they were upset? I don’t know of our cats ever doing that; well not that I’m aware of. We’ve had some friends bring over toddlers a few times and they walk up and sniff them. So maybe all will be okay? I guess we’ll know when the triplets are waking up every couple of hours throughout the night.

[quote=RangersFan4Life]
Sooo, did your cats ever pee on anything else b/c they were upset? I don’t know of our cats ever doing that; well not that I’m aware of. We’ve had some friends bring over toddlers a few times and they walk up and sniff them. So maybe all will be okay? I guess we’ll know when the triplets are waking up every couple of hours throughout the night.[/quote]Nope. Just on baby stuff and toys. I think once she started moving, she became a threat to their territory, so they felt they needed to mark it. A lot. We tried putting feliway diffusers all around, but that didn’t help. The only thing that has is physically separating them.

But maybe your cats are less insane than mine. :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, life with cats and babies is great!

We have 2 cats, one of which especially does NOT do well with change. She has peed on stuff when upset as mentioned above. She just now stopped hissing at my husband (we’ve lived together for over 7 years). So I was super nervous when I got pregnant, not knowing how they would react. They both have adjusted just fine. We prepared by getting the pheromone diffuser before I gave birth. It took a couple of weeks, I think, but both would sit on my lap while I was nursing and interact with me while I had the babies on my lap playing. And it’s been great, especially for my daughter who’s now 3. She learned early on how to do gentle touches by practicing on the cat (the calmer one of course) and we talk a lot about giving the cats space and reading their cues and then generalized that to people as well. We haven’t spent much time working with my almost 1 year old, just because we haven’t had as much opportunity.

If your cats have problems, there’s also a prescription cat food by Royal Canin called “Calm” that has special amino acids found in mother cats’ milk that made a HUGE difference in our fussier cat. My husband is a vet and brought it home to try on Niki and that’s when she stopped hissing at him. He even called up to me one night to come look at something, and it was him with her on his lap, letting him pet her! So I’m not trying to sound like I’m advertising anything, but if you have problems, think about it!

We’re reasonably cautious about the litter. I change the littler boxes after the kids are in bed and of course wash my hands well after. The litter boxes are in our bedroom (one in the closet, one in the unused master bath) and I try not to let the kids in the immediate vicinity, but honestly the litter gets tracked throughout the upstairs and I don’t freak out much about it. If your cats solely live indoors they are also MUCH less likely to have any toxoplasmosis in their stool (which is what everyone worries about with pregnant women and the immunosuppressed)

Congratulations!

The risk with cats and toxoplasmosis is from mice. If you have mice, regardless of whether your cats are indoors or not, you’re at risk for contracting toxoplasmosis. We have 5 cats, and we have mice (we live in a 200-year old house). The cats shed the toxoplasmosis in their feces after they eat mice (shudder), but you can also contract it from mouse feces, too (ugh ugh ugh!)… So, be careful about all of that stuff. It’s why pregnant women should also wear protection when we garden, too… since there can be cat/ mouse feces in the soil.

You can always do the toxoplasmosis blood test! I keep forgetting to call for my results, but I guess they would have let me know if I had it. :slight_smile: I’m hoping that my former life as a vet tech and animal rescuer exposed me to it a long time ago.

Hopeful - my one “kidney cat” loves Royal Canin! I’m totally going to try the “calm” recipe for our two other “more nervous” cats. I bet it will be a big help after the birth, too.

Still have NO idea where we’re going to put the extra litter box that is currently in the “feral cat’s” bedroom, aka the nursery…

[QUOTE=HopefulinCO]Don’t worry, life with cats and babies is great!

If your cats solely live indoors they are also MUCH less likely to have any toxoplasmosis in their stool (which is what everyone worries about with pregnant women and the immunosuppressed)

Congratulations![/QUOTE]

FYI ESSEMKAY: Different issue, but we used a collar with those pheromones and it worked WONDERS for our cat that has always had issues dealing with things. The diffusers never helped at all. Might be worth a try.
NurtureCALM 24/7 Feline Calming Pheromone Collar

[quote=Finch12]FYI ESSEMKAY: Different issue, but we used a collar with those pheromones and it worked WONDERS for our cat that has always had issues dealing with things. The diffusers never helped at all. Might be worth a try.
NurtureCALM 24/7 Feline Calming Pheromone Collar[/quote]Thanks! We’ll give it a try - I’m desperate!