Causes of recurrent pregnancy loss?

[FONT=Times]I had 2 healthy children and then 5 miscarriages of 6 children. I’ve started the IVF journey to preserve whatever fertility I have left (I have already been diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve) while we search for answers. One interesting thing we’ve noted is that all my cycles have low fertilization rate, but everything that fertilizes makes it to the blastocyst stage. For instance:

Cycle 1: 9 eggs retrieved, 6 were mature, 3 fertilized, 3 high quality blasts
Cycle 2: 10 eggs retrieved, 8 were mature, 4 fertilized, 4 high quality blasts

These were all freeze all cycles. I wonder if I don’t just make high quality embryos even of the chromosomally abnormal ones and then they fail. Any ideas? [/FONT]

Did you complete Chromosome testing of the embryos? RPL is caused by many different factors. We have a group for RPL on this forum but most of us now are on a private FB group. For my RPL my RE suggested chromosome testing, baby aspirin, heparin & prednisone.

We have thought about chromosome testing, but it is very expensive. (As I’m sure you know). Right now we’re lucky enough to have our IVFs covered by insurance, but since PGD is “experimental” it is not covered. I have also thought that with only 7 blasts we’ll end up putting them all back eventually anyways and either they’ll work or not. PGD would give us answers, but wouldn’t actually bring us any closer to a baby, KWIM?

I heard of a lady getting pgd testing coverage due to rpl. Its worth looking into. Even though its costly it saves you the heart aches & disappointment. You will know you are teansfering normal embryos. Heparin & Intralipids also sounds like a great treatment plan. Best wishes.

You should must go for the Chromosome testing of Embyros. There are so many reasons behind the PRL problems. So just go for the the examination for better treatment.

[QUOTE=“Xerxella, post: 1768209, member: 78657”]We have thought about chromosome testing, but it is very expensive. (As I’m sure you know). Right now we’re lucky enough to have our IVFs covered by insurance, but since PGD is “experimental” it is not covered. I have also thought that with only 7 blasts we’ll end up putting them all back eventually anyways and either they’ll work or not. PGD would give us answers, but wouldn’t actually bring us any closer to a baby, KWIM?[/QUOTE]
I know the thread is old and Xerxella may have found all of the information she was looking for but in case someone else comes across it - if you need PGD/PGD NGS think on fertility clinics in Poland or/and in Czech, cause of really pocket friendly prices. If you need more info, you can visit this site to compare prices.

Now a day’s many of the fertilized oocytes are ending with miscarriages and they are mostly occurring at the time prior to menses. If the woman is experiencing three or more losses at the time of the first trimester, then it is regarded as the recurrent pregnancy loss. It is highly recommended to evaluate the reasons for the losses if continuous two miscarriages occur. Etiologies of RPL consist of genetic, anatomic, endocrinology, immunologic and unexplained. Advanced maternal age, cigarette smoking, alcohol and heavy coffee use have all been associated with RPL. Recently, cocaine and tobacco use have been implicated. No study has established a definite role for infections in RPL.
Genetic etiologies are most common in secondary pregnancy loss and this can be caused due to inheritance. Anatomic factors consist of congenital and acquired uterine anomalies. The former involves mullerian malformations, most commonly a septate uterus, as well as in-utero DES exposure and incompetent cervix. Acquired include leiomyomas, endometrial polyps and Asherman’s syndrome (intrauterine adhesions). Asherman’s syndrome most likely results if a D&C is preformed 2-4 weeks post partum.
Hyperprolactinemia, antithyroid antibodies, polycystic ovarian syndrome, luteal phase insufficiency and uncontrolled diabetes and other types of hormonal causes RPL. During the period of evaluation, the patients should use contraception and also avoid intercourse at the time of early pregnancy. Since patients with RPL exhibit major stress, affirmative feedback with a caring staff and sequential ultrasound may advance the result during the first trimester.