CD3 U/S - how many follicles?

So I just got back from my 1st RE appt. He did a CD3 U/S and blood work. After they U/S he said that he is concerned about my biological clock b/c I only had 3 follicles on the right and the 1 on the left was much bigger (he said likely why I have a short cycle - usually 24 days). Oh … and I am 33 years old.

For any of you other ladies that had CD3 U/S’s - do you remember how many follicles? Is it even reasonable to continue with plan for IUI? Would injectables give me more eggs?

He thinks based upon the size I will be ready to trigger on CD9 (my Gyn has been triggering CD11-CD13).

Any advise? :grr:

On CD3 they are looking at the AFC (Antral Follicle Counts, Testing Ovarian Reserve Predicts IVF Response) the resting follies. I’ve always had an AFC of 27-35. Usually on meds (oral and injections) i get 3-5 mature follies out of the deal. Even though that link talks about IVF. A AFC is important for any cycle.

Did your RE only look at ones over a certain size?

I am not sure what it is called. He measured the #of follies in both ovaries 3 days into :af: to see how many are developing. Just didn’t seem good. I took clomid about 35 days ago but nothing since so assuming this count is without meds.

Hmmmm…I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 3 follies in CD3 is not good. I typically have 30-40. Do you have any abnormal bloodwork?

Well, the cycle that we were successful, on CD3, I had six follicles, three on each side.

I was told that I had 3 follicles as well, but only 2 grew to a “good” size. Our first round with Femara resulted in a :bfn: and we are now on a round of Clomid 150mg. Hoping for good results with this round. And my RE didn’t mention a number of follicles on my CD3 U/S. He only told me about the ones that “grew” after taking the Femara.

Me:35 annonvulation
DH:34 better than perfect

2010: son conceived naturally

05/2013: Femara 7.5 mg, followed by Menopur and hCG trigger with IUI. :bfn:

06/2013: Clomid 150mg (currently on Day 6 of 8)

Thanks ladies. I was figuring it was not good news. :frowning:
I don’t get all the blood work results until 7/2/13.

Are there any medications that can increase the amt of CD 3 follies? Each cycle that I have done so far while on clomid I had 2 follicles ready to go between CD11-13… Maybe even though I have 2 they are bad quality?

[QUOTE=ashaz]Thanks ladies. I was figuring it was not good news. :frowning:

Are there any medications that can increase the amt of CD 3 follies? Each cycle that I have done so far while on clomid I had 2 follicles ready to go between CD11-13… Maybe even though I have 2 they are bad quality?[/QUOTE]

Have you had your FSH and AMH levels tested? That would be the first thing that needs to get done. If you are on the lower end of Ovarian Reserve, its time to move past clomid.

Day 3 FSH Fertility Test of Ovarian Reserve

I know I only had 4 mature follicles at time of IUI and then several immature. Did they say how many mature you have? I would think that’s what would matter…:cross: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust:

[QUOTE=ashaz]Thanks ladies. I was figuring it was not good news. :frowning:

Are there any medications that can increase the amt of CD 3 follies? Each cycle that I have done so far while on clomid I had 2 follicles ready to go between CD11-13… Maybe even though I have 2 they are bad quality?[/QUOTE]

Ask your doc about DHEA supplmentation. It’s proving to possibly be quite the game-changer for egg quality and number of eggs. Studies are profound! I had been taking it since late January, and I’m convinced it made all the difference with my dismal AMH of 0.89 and advanced maternal age.

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) supplementation in diminished ovarian reserve (DOR)

[QUOTE=sweet_pea]I know I only had 4 mature follicles at time of IUI and then several immature. Did they say how many mature you have? I would think that’s what would matter…:cross: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust:[/QUOTE]

Since she’s talking about her resting follie count (done on CD3) its totally different than a mid cycle scan. If you don’t have very many at the resting scan it shows that you could be running out of eggs.