Cervical Length Question

Hi ladies, at 17w5d i had a t/v u/s that showed my cervix to be at 3.15cm long i believe. i didn’t get a call back from the dr but the tech thought it was fine. it seems short though compared to what the other pregnant women are measuring right now and even ahead of me. (More like 4cm). i have an appointment in 7 days but just wanted to get a little advice. am i worrying about nothing or is this indeed a little short? Tia

Nope, not short. They usually pay attention or raise eyebrows at 2.5cm and admit at 2.0cm or less…

Unless you are funneling, dilated, or have a history of IC, I wouldn’t freak out. Just make sure you’re being monitored… Of course each individual will have something different to say and every doctor is different…

Hang in there.

:grouphug:
Bree

As well, if you’re constantly losing length, then that’s also cause for concern…

When in doubt have it checked out! Hope this helps.

Thank you. I called the nurse this morning because I’m a worrier that way lol. She said it was actually 3.7 and like you said, no worries till it gets to 2.5. I’m extra paranoid because of having a previous d&c and whatever other crap they did in our infertility history. But sounds good so… btw congrats on having your c-section scheduled! Looking forward to seeing pics of all your little vamps on the outside! :slight_smile: Best wishes!

I get measured on a weekly basis due to my cerclage. My doctor said the same, if it gets to 2.5, that’s bed rest. If I get closer to 2.0 that’s hospital bed rest. Some weeks I’ll measure around 4.3 and others it might be 3.6. He said it will vary depending on how active I was that day (standing, sitting, walking) and the time of day. It usually measures longer in the morning than in the afternoon. Also, as the weeks go on and the baby gets heavier, the length will be shorter. He said I will likely be measuring in the 3.5 range, give or take, for the next month or two, I’m 29 weeks now. I think you’ll be fine!

[QUOTE=journeyoffaith]Thank you. I called the nurse this morning because I’m a worrier that way lol. She said it was actually 3.7 and like you said, no worries till it gets to 2.5. I’m extra paranoid because of having a previous d&c and whatever other crap they did in our infertility history. But sounds good so… btw congrats on having your c-section scheduled! Looking forward to seeing pics of all your little vamps on the outside! :slight_smile: Best wishes![/QUOTE]

No problem! I understand your worries a little too well. My history is rather long, so I am constantly paying attention and if something doesn’t sound right, I grill away… :wink:

It’s important for you to remain vigilant and proactive, to which it seems you are doing. Another positive on your side. As long as you pay attention to your body, any changes in discharge, pressure, cramping, etc… you should be able to catch it before it becomes disastrous and potentially fatal to your baby.

Hang in there and definitely voice your concerns with your Doctor. While I respect the nurses that are in the middle, 9 times out of 10, their job is to calm you down. If you’re unsettled, speak on it.

As well, ask to be monitored more frequently. You history of D&C’s, amongst the others (like Hysteroscopy, & and any other invasive IVF procedure) warrants an extra look. Just my opinion…

Hang in there!

I can’t wait to meet the boys either. :slight_smile: I’ll definitely post some newborn pics on my blog…you do still follow me right??? :wink:

:flower:
Bree

[QUOTE=erinraye517]I get measured on a weekly basis due to my cerclage. My doctor said the same, if it gets to 2.5, that’s bed rest. If I get closer to 2.0 that’s hospital bed rest. Some weeks I’ll measure around 4.3 and others it might be 3.6. He said it will vary depending on how active I was that day (standing, sitting, walking) and the time of day. It usually measures longer in the morning than in the afternoon. Also, as the weeks go on and the baby gets heavier, the length will be shorter. He said I will likely be measuring in the 3.5 range, give or take, for the next month or two, I’m 29 weeks now. I think you’ll be fine![/QUOTE]

Very true indeed. Your length has alot of factors to consider… The individual doing the ultrasound, the pressure, how full the bladder is at the time of measurement, baby(ies) position, and so forth.

Either way, just stay on top of it, because it can change at a moments notice and without warning.

Congrats on getting to 29 weeks!! Here’s to hoping for the next few to be without hiccups…

:flower:
Bree

[QUOTE=erinraye517]I get measured on a weekly basis due to my cerclage. My doctor said the same, if it gets to 2.5, that’s bed rest. If I get closer to 2.0 that’s hospital bed rest. Some weeks I’ll measure around 4.3 and others it might be 3.6. He said it will vary depending on how active I was that day (standing, sitting, walking) and the time of day. It usually measures longer in the morning than in the afternoon. Also, as the weeks go on and the baby gets heavier, the length will be shorter. He said I will likely be measuring in the 3.5 range, give or take, for the next month or two, I’m 29 weeks now. I think you’ll be fine![/QUOTE]

Thank you. i requested to have it measured again at my last appointment 19w6d. They said no change since 2 weeks before. I’m glad ur pregnancy is going so well. God bless!

Kapp- i do still follow ur blog. Just a few more days till u meet those precious boys! :wink:

[QUOTE=journeyoffaith]

Kapp- i do still follow ur blog. Just a few more days till u meet those precious boys! ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed!!! I’m super anxious, nervous, scared, tired…lol

Hang in there, you’re doing fine. I’m still praying forms cooperative cervix on ur behalf!! :grouphug:

Bree

[QUOTE=kappocheno]Yes indeed!!! I’m super anxious, nervous, scared, tired…lol

Hang in there, you’re doing fine. I’m still praying forms cooperative cervix on ur behalf!! :grouphug:

Bree[/QUOTE]
Aww thank u! Me too!
I bet u r all those things and more! Its so exciting to think they r real and finally yours after all these years.

[QUOTE=journeyoffaith]Aww thank u! Me too!
I bet u r all those things and more! Its so exciting to think they r real and finally yours after all these years.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail right on the head!!! It’s exciting, yet so surreal that it’s finally happening. It has been a VERY long road and hard to believe that a new phase/path is about to begin…

You’ll be there really soon mama! :grouphug:

My cervical length concern

Dear all,
I’m a pretty newbie out here,but I’m here to seek some cervical length support.Ive had two surgeries to fix my septum in the uterus and one d&c.I got pregnant through my ivf after few failed Iui’s.Because I’ve had surgeries,my RE when discharging wrote a note to my Maternal fetal medicine team asking to put me in high risk and monitor my cervical length.Not that there was a history of incompetent cervix.
So at 13 wks-4.3cm
16w1d-3.2cm,
But the doctor said she wasn’t alarmed.I requested her to repeat a scan in week to give me peace cuz I was shocked by 1cm reduction.She said she won’t fit me before two weeks.So I decided to take a second opinion and the new doctor did it in my empty bladder and transvaginally(saying that it was the accurate way) so turns out
16w3D I was -3.7 cm and the new doctor sent me home saying with that measurement there was no way they could do a cerclage.
Now my anatomy scan is due on Tuesday 25th at the first doctors office.I am worried as to which doctor I should proceed too as well I’m concerned if they are following the right protocol for me.

Ladies,thank you for taking time to read my story,but please share some real stories for me to hold on to faith.I am so scared to death.I want my boy and I already can’t live without him.

[quote=bbluesky]Dear all,
I’m a pretty newbie out here,but I’m here to seek some cervical length support.Ive had two surgeries to fix my septum in the uterus and one d&c.I got pregnant through my ivf after few failed Iui’s.Because I’ve had surgeries,my RE when discharging wrote a note to my Maternal fetal medicine team asking to put me in high risk and monitor my cervical length.Not that there was a history of incompetent cervix.
So at 13 wks-4.3cm
16w1d-3.2cm,
But the doctor said she wasn’t alarmed.I requested her to repeat a scan in week to give me peace cuz I was shocked by 1cm reduction.She said she won’t fit me before two weeks.So I decided to take a second opinion and the new doctor did it in my empty bladder and transvaginally(saying that it was the accurate way) so turns out
16w3D I was -3.7 cm and the new doctor sent me home saying with that measurement there was no way they could do a cerclage.
Now my anatomy scan is due on Tuesday 25th at the first doctors office.I am worried as to which doctor I should proceed too as well I’m concerned if they are following the right protocol for me.

Ladies,thank you for taking time to read my story,but please share some real stories for me to hold on to faith.I am so scared to death.I want my boy and I already can’t live without him.[/quote]

I’m shocked they told you they couldn’t do a cerclage with 3.7! My initial measurement was 1.4 and I was able to receive a vaginal cerclage at 11 weeks. I’ve been holding strong between 3.6 and 4.2 ever since. You also have the option of an internal vaginal cerclage. They are a bit more risky since they require abdominal surgery though. At this point, with your measurements, I wouldn’t be concerned in the least. I would just take it easy. No exercising period, no long walks, sit down or lay down every chance you get. My doctor has had me on that track every since my cerclage was put in. If I go on long shopping trips, I use those wheelchairs that some stores have if possible. It’s a little embarrassing, but totally worth it. If you don’t feel comfortable with the answers you’re receiving, I’d ask for a 3rd and 4th opinion from high risk doctors. I had 3 doctors talk to me about my options before I felt ok with the decision.

[QUOTE=bbluesky]Dear all,
So at 13 wks-4.3cm
16w1d-3.2cm,

Ladies,thank you for taking time to read my story,but please share some real stories for me to hold on to faith.I am so scared to death.I want my boy and I already can’t live without him.[/QUOTE]

Hi there. My cervix measured 3.7 at 17w5d and I requested they measure it at my anatomy scan at 19w6d even though they didn’t plan to measure it again. It had grown to 4.3 so the dr was very happy with that. I however, have not stopped worrying for the last 2 weeks even knowing it measured great. I have a lot of fullness / pressure feeling “down there” and a lot of cramps. Its a very scary time for me and I’m just holding my breath waiting for viability. It sounds to me that your cervix is long enough BUT I would still absolutely get it measured again. Better to be safe. Obviously your cervix hasn’t shortened to the needing a cerclage stage but I too would be alarmed by any shortening so quickly and why not just keep an eye on it every few weeks?! I frankly don’t understand some drs hesitation to be proactive. Best of luck to you and let us know what it measures at your anatomy scan. (I wasn’t leaving that office until they measured mine again.) :wink:

Thank you both of you kind hearted ladies.

The second opinion doctor was better but he’s more located in Detroit downtown location where the hubby and I aren’t super comfortable.No complaints with second doctor tho,he ordered the necessary tests for me.

My first doctor is more from a high rated hospital and their NICU is one of the best 10 facilities in USA(which kind of makes me to lean towards them).Anyways I will give that rude team another chance in my anatomy scan to see how are they responding.

Plus as my own precaution after hearing golden advices from you ladies:
1)I try to lay on the bed for 14 hours including my sleeping time
2)No lifting or bending or walking…showering just 4 days once(yikes for summer tho)
3)the rest hours are sitting on the couch to watch tv keeping my feet off on a stool or chair…

Do you think in your opinion,I will survive?Ofcourse I was on many sites and forums to find some buddies to empathize…over last one week found none but luckily found you all now.,that I wish to follow you guys till the end.

Thanks and thanks and thanks for telling me nice and encouraging things.

All the stuff u r doing sounds great! I’ve been trying to take it really easy myself. My cervix did go from 4.3 @ 19w6d to 3.6 at 23w. Still very well within normal lengths but that’s 3/4cm in 3 weeks. I haven’t talked to the dr yet. I think they r sick of me being worried about everything but they don’t go through what we do to get our babies. I’m not willing to take chances just because the dr thinks I’m fine. Why not reassure me? Its no skin off their noses!! :wink: I hope u r still holding up well. Let me know how things look at 20w.

Journeyoffaith-Well good news is you’re very safe.Lemme tell you,Cervix size keeps changing dynamically.The tech would arrive at atleast 4 different measurements each time and all they tell us is that average.

Plus two things you wanna ask your doctor is about:
1)Doing a stress test(that is by stabbing your stomach or fundal height in decent pressure)and then take the measurement
2)repeat the stabbing one more final time and again take the measurement.
The reason is sometimes uterus at its mouth is compressed enough to be mistaken as cervical length.So unless they press your abdomen hard and watch it again for measurement,that will only be reliable.

Plus according to me your cervical length is 3.7 only and it hasn’t changed in last 6 weeks for you…the 4.3 I’m not sure if it was done under fundal pressure…but cervix is dynamic and I hope they take more than two to arrive at average.You are good to go,don’t worry Pls.

About me:At my 18W4 days of my anatomy scan,the tech pressed/stabbed my abdomen really hard for four times…max measurement was 3.7 and then it was 3.2…so I’m realistically at 3.1 and above is my thought.and that if after so much pressure…so according to my doctor my measurement of 3.2 hasn’t changed.Dont know if that’s a good sign or not.

I’ve been wondering how u r doing. I hope you are still hanging in there not stressing too much. All my measurements were taken under fundal pressure and are averages of about 5 measurements within a couple minutes. It was wearing me out to worry so much. My dr was happy with my last measurement and even though the thought still crosses my mind, I just hope for the best. I had a dream lastnight of all things that I measured 2cm. In my dream that was just dandy. lol. Let me know how you are getting along if you get a chance.