Chemical Pregnancies

My beta today was an abysmal 8.67. Whoever thought seeing two lines could be worse than a negative? I’m suppose to continue my PIO and estrogen patches on the off-chance that a miracle occurs until my re-check.

As you can see from my signature this was our 2nd IVF effort. We had better quality embies a 3AA and an early blast. We had 2 other blasts but their quality was not good enough to freeze. For the second round my RE switched me to a long-lupron protocol this time and the nurses and my RE were much happier with my stimulation because it was more even…Just to give you a little more history.

Anyway, have any of you suffered with embryo quality and had success after a chemical pregnancy? Do you have any advice? Should we try with my own eggs again? Should we move on to donor eggs? Anything you think I should know and are willing to share, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much!
MK

I’m so sorry to hear you had a chemical. I haven’t experienced this so I don’t know what it is like to be in your shoes. However, you seem really young to be throwing in the towel and moving on to donor eggs. I think there’s a lot out there that can be done to help stim you to produce optimal quality and quantity of eggs and it takes time for an RE to refine your protocol with each attempt. I wouldn’t throw the towel in but regroup with your RE and find out what they’d do different if there was another attempt as well as it is best to also seek out another opinion/consult with another RE of your choice. But please don’t count yourself out. Your RE just hasn’t found the right protocol for you and if egg quality is an issue there’s things typically that can be done to enhance things during the stim phase. I’m sorry again about your chemical.

I too have experienced a chemical pregnancy this week. My first beta on Monday was 12 and today it was negative. I don’t think you should throw in the towel with your own eggs either, I think it is a numbers game. I found an article during a Google search that said that chemical pregnancies are a good indication of a future IVF cycle working, so that is the hope that I’m holding on to right now. It’s heartbreaking!

Good luck!

I am so sorry. I am dealing with my third chemical pregnancy. In my case I really think that it is immune issues (elevated NK cells), but of course I can’t know that for sure without trying again. Which I can’t do. I was already on lovenox and had had a complete D&C to remove a polyp and force a new, fresh lining. I have read that sometimes women can have undiagnosed endo which causes implantation and embryo quality issues. It is recommended to have an exploratory lap to check and clear it up.

Obviously, I don’t have any answers for you, but I have researched this quite a bit.

So sorry. :grouphug:

I know easier said then done but please don’t beat yourself up over it. Chemical pregnancies are very common. I have had every kind of miscarriage and the chemical takes the least toll on your body since af arrives a few days late and you can cycle again. You are still young. Good luck!

I had 2 chemicals before my successful pregnancy. Don’t count yourself or your eggs out yet. You may want to ask your RE about tests for recurrent miscarriage/implantation failure. It may be something else going on other than, or in addition to, embryo quality.

On my third round we discovered I had clotting issues that could have been a problem with implantation. I also changed REs (the quality of the lab can make a big difference) and did a completely different protocol. I think the combination of blood thinners & a better protocol for me is what worked. In my first 2 cycles combined I only had 3 good quality embryos and in my third I had 4 (2 advanced blasts & 2 early blasts on day 5).

I would definitely talk to your RE about what they think about your egg quality and possible issues with implantation failure. Good luck!

I am very sorry about your chemical pregnancy. I also had my first chemical pregnancy earlier this month. My beta was 7.8. From what I’ve read, chemical pregnancies are very common with IVF and while they are discouraging, there is a lot of research to say that many women who have chemical pregnancies go on to have healthy pregnancies. My RE did chromosome testing after chemical pregnancy because I had a m/c 10 months ago at 10 weeks. My RE is also changing the protocol for IVF #2. I had chemical prengnacy with long lupron protocol and now doing the flare, which I feel happier about because it’s a fresh start. I had a lot of eggs but only 2 fertilized.

I know it’s discouraging and you have every right to be frustrated, but instead of jumping to donor eggs, I would get consult with another RE and maybe take a cycle off to just de-stress. I’m afraid of having another chemical pregnancy, but I’m trying to just let that fear go, trust the protocol, trust my RE and pray for the best. I wish you the best and completely understand your frustration.

Thanks

This was my first positive anything to do with a pregnancy, so it’s harder than a negative in many ways.

Thanks for the encouragement. I’ve been on baby aspirin the whole time and I think I was tested for clotting factors. The only think I don’t know about is Natural Killer Cells, so I will definitely ask about that. It’s hard waiting through a holiday to get answers. It really sucks that I still feel pregnant. My boobs are bigger than they’ve ever been in my life and seem dense. I’ve quit having cramps. And OMG the mood swings. I cried watching the Macy’s Day Parade for goodness sakes…I’m effing crazy.

I’m just discouraged because they say the most common reason is congenital factors, and these were my best embies yet…It’s a real kick in the face.

[QUOTE=UCMKFlip]This was my first positive anything to do with a pregnancy, so it’s harder than a negative in many ways.

Thanks for the encouragement. I’ve been on baby aspirin the whole time and I think I was tested for clotting factors. The only think I don’t know about is Natural Killer Cells, so I will definitely ask about that. It’s hard waiting through a holiday to get answers. It really sucks that I still feel pregnant. My boobs are bigger than they’ve ever been in my life and seem dense. I’ve quit having cramps. And OMG the mood swings. I cried watching the Macy’s Day Parade for goodness sakes…I’m effing crazy.

I’m just discouraged because they say the most common reason is congenital factors, and these were my best embies yet…It’s a real kick in the face.[/QUOTE]

Hang in there girl I know how u feel I just went through the same thing as u the first really pregnancy thing we have had and we were in heaven and it was takin from us way to soon. We have no idea of our next step just so upset and it really sucks its Thanksgiving I could care less cause ill I can think about is all of this. I am sorry :grouphug: I will pray for u too!

Sorry to hear what you are going through. We went through 3 miscarriages before finally having our little one; so… yes you can go on to have a healthy baby after going through miscarriages or chemical pregnancies. We moved on to donor embryos after our second miscarriage, it was the best thing we did because it resulted in our little boy. Don’t have any great advice for you, just wanted to let you know that you can go on to have a healthy baby!

[QUOTE=Hopefully37]I too have experienced a chemical pregnancy this week. My first beta on Monday was 12 and today it was negative. I don’t think you should throw in the towel with your own eggs either, I think it is a numbers game. I found an article during a Google search that said that chemical pregnancies are a good indication of a future IVF cycle working, so that is the hope that I’m holding on to right now. It’s heartbreaking!

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Me too. This is my first chemical, and was actually researching when I could expect my period and found this thread. This is heartbreaking, and I agree about almost being worse than the negative.

I agree ladies, it is worse than a negative! I have experienced both…multiple times. But I can say that it is all worth it in the end. Don’t give up!

How are you doing? I’m waiting for my second beta results as I type this. I’m overwhelmed. It seems to me that everyone who says, “that means you can get pregnant,” has much better embryo quality than I do. I just wish I could talk to my doctor. I know I would feel better…and to have a plan always helps…

Hope you are doing better and that you have a plan for the next steps yourself. Good luck and I’m thinking about you!

MK

I have been there. It took me 3 times to get my positive and I am having twins. I am older than you and was going to move on to DE after this cycle. You are lucky… I didn’t even get to day 5 transfer. I had such few eggs and they were not growing well that I had to transfer all I had on day 3. You are getting to day 5 which is great. Don’t give up. IVF is also a numbers game. On average you have a 50-50 chance it works each time. So it is possible it can take 3 times to get it right.

I have had 3 chemicals and they hurt so much. You feel so close yet so far away from your end goal. What helped me this last time was upping the dose and getting the most eggs out possible to have more to choose from. I got 9 eggs (i know so sad) but only 3 fertilized so we put them all back. One was over dividing on day 3 so it died. The other two are my little babies.

Keep up hope that it will happen for you. I took some time off to focus on me and enjoyed my summer and lost some weight and that seemed to help my mental attitude also. I think it also gave my hormones some time to go back to normal so the shots didn’t effect me as much as the two cycles back to back. Might be something to think about.

Good luck, don’t give up and this positive. This third cycle is your cycle!!!

Hi. I just wanted to say I’m sorry this cycle didn’t work out for you. I, too, had a chemical this time around with my beta at 9 and AF showed up 2 days before my beta.

It’s heartbreaking! My first IVF I m/c at 10 weeks. Each time I’ve done IVF I’ve gotten pregnant, but only one carried to term. It really sucks. I’m still crying too. I find myself not talking or seeing anyone. I’m in constant fog and cry at the stupidest things.

I’m hoping 2012 is successful for you! You are young. Don’t give up! Maybe we will by cycle buddies in the near future!