Clomid and Cysts

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone here gotten cysts after taking a round of Clomid? For my second IUI I had done a Clomid cycle, 50mg and got a really good response, 4 nice follies on my left ovary if I remember correctly. The IUI failed unfortunately and when I went in for baseline ultrasound to start my third IUI cycle, the doc found three cysts on my left ovary. We had to cancel the cycle and he told me to call him when I got my period. This was back on September 23rd. So far, :af: has yet to rear her ugly head. Not that I miss her, but I would really like to get moving on my next cycle :slight_smile: So here’s my question: I know that cysts can mess with your cycle, so I’m not too concerned that I’ve missed my period. Took a HPT last week and it was :bfn: , I figured it would be. But at what point should I be concerned? I’ve been having strong menstrual cramps the last week, the kind where I’m certain AF is here…yet no bleeding at all. Other than that, there’s no pain. Is it normal to have strong menstrual cramps with ovarian cysts, but no bleeding? I’m so confused! Guess I should just call the doctor’s office but thought I would check here first, to see if anyone has experienced something similar. Thanks!

[quote=kbbaby]Hi Everyone,

Has anyone here gotten cysts after taking a round of Clomid? For my second IUI I had done a Clomid cycle, 50mg and got a really good response, 4 nice follies on my left ovary if I remember correctly. The IUI failed unfortunately and when I went in for baseline ultrasound to start my third IUI cycle, the doc found three cysts on my left ovary. We had to cancel the cycle and he told me to call him when I got my period. This was back on September 23rd. So far, :af: has yet to rear her ugly head. Not that I miss her, but I would really like to get moving on my next cycle :slight_smile: So here’s my question: I know that cysts can mess with your cycle, so I’m not too concerned that I’ve missed my period. Took a HPT last week and it was :bfn: , I figured it would be. But at what point should I be concerned? I’ve been having strong menstrual cramps the last week, the kind where I’m certain AF is here…yet no bleeding at all. Other than that, there’s no pain. Is it normal to have strong menstrual cramps with ovarian cysts, but no bleeding? I’m so confused! Guess I should just call the doctor’s office but thought I would check here first, to see if anyone has experienced something similar. Thanks![/quote]

Hi there!
I did 4 cycles of Clomid and was not monitored at all during the cycles (I went through my OBGYN). I developed 2 large cysts on my right ovary. Not sure when they started, but they were quite large and causing me a lot of pain. The pain started like regular menstrual cramps, except they started on Day 3 which was unusual for me. By day 5, I ended up in the emergency room in the middle of the night because I was in such excruciating pain. I never had any bleeding (besides my normal period), but I did have very irregular cycles ranging from 20 days to 38 days! I would give the MD a call… maybe they would have you do an ultrasound to check the cysts??? At any rate, it may just ease your mind to check in with the MD. Good luck with everything! Hope it all turns out OK!

I second that. I overstimulated on Clomid in May and had 3 cysts. I just had some bloating and achiness at first, but it quickly developed to cramps similar to menstrual cramps and my lower back was really achy.
I would check with your dr - he could do an u/s to make sure they aren’t growing. He could also prescribe birth control pills to possibly help shrink them. My dr didn’t want to put me back on an ovulation inducing drug until the cysts shrunk because he was afraid it would make them grow like crazy.

I hope that helps! Hopefully things will resolve on their own.

Yeah, I would definitely check with your doc!

I agree with the others and would go in. Cysts and hyperstimulation are nothing to mess around with, esp. when TTC. Keep us posted!

Thank you all for your responses, it’s very much appreciated! Well, :af: finally came yesterday so now I can relax a bit and look forward to trying again, yay!! Maybe the third time’s the charm!

Thanks again!