Clomid/IUI, Femara/IUI - what's next??

Hello ladies!!

I’m relatively new to this site and just wanted to see if anyone has any advice. Here’s a little background on my and DH. I have a DS who is 2 and a half. When he was 6 months, January 09 - we started trying for another. He was our surprise child, I went off B/C pills the month we got married and was PG the next.

So, 2009 and our TTC were all complete failures. Nothing the whole year. In November, I was feeling like I knew something wasn’t right. So, I went to the Dr. and he started running tests. This was in November 2009. Because of where I’m from, the closest OBGYN is 2 hours away, and we don’t (or didn’t) have any RE’s in less than 5 hours from us. After the tests coming back all normal, the Dr. wouldn’t listen when he went to run a progesterone test and I told him I hadn’t even O’d yet. He didn’t trust my charts as he said they weren’t accurate and they don’t rely on them.

At the bottom is my history so you can see the past months. I had a M/C in april and have been sort of out because of waiting 2 months, cysts and lack of Dr.'s putting me on B/C and developing more.

My first cycle back in the saddle - last month - I had a chemical PG. No cysts so I’m on Femara and IUI scheduled next week. This month Dr. put me on 20 mg of Femara all on day 3 - this sound normal to anyone?

I know I’ve only been at this 2 years in January, but I’m getting tired and money is getting thin. I feel like I’ve had good success with the IUI, but I’m wondering if injectibles are waranted - I don’t normally have more than 1 follie (did have 2 on my clomid cycle). And if I do injectibles, how much will it increase my chances? IS it smarter to take 6 months off and save for IVF? Any help is appreciated. I’m just lost. Plus I just found out my best friend is PG and is devestated - he has a 2 and a half year old son and 8 month old girl. It’s so hard. I want to be there for her but am so sad to hear about it… and especially knowing how badly they DIDN"T want it. Thanks for listening and any advice would help. My biggest concern/problem is there is not an RE around here. A clinic just opened as a satellite office 2 hours from here, but still not close.

Charting – regularly ovulate on D22 – 12 day LP. Seem to have less CM but no other noted problems
Saw OB for first consult about problems. Late ovulation, less CM, pain during sex (Dryness) and low progesterone with DS.

November 2009 – SA, FSH, TSH, THEAS, LH, Estradiol all normal. Dr. Diehl scheduled to have Progesterone checked but failed to listen to me when I told him I did not ovulate because of my chart (December 2009 Cycle) (temps never went up like they always do) :bfn: – switched Dr.’s after he told me they don’t pay attention to charting as they aren’t accurate.
January 2010, New OB – HSG – normal. Normal Cycle – BFN
February 21, 2010 – First clomid cycle, IUI, Progesterone scheduled for March 8,2010 – BFP!!! :bfp: 13dpo - 3/14/10 EDD - Beta 1 15 dpo = 30 Beta 2 - 17dpo = 67 Beta 3 - 24dpo = 573
1st Apt scheduled for April 20th with U/S - M/C diagnosed 4/20/10 – M/C 4/20/10

Dr. wanted me on Birth control pills for 2 months following M/C (April & May)
June 14th Cycle - Clomid D 3-7. (No IUI – DH had new job and couldn’t) Didn’t ovulate until Day 25. :bfn: Could feel a cyst and lots of pressure. Confirmed on Baseline of next cycle. Short LP – 9 days.
July 18th, 2010 – Dr. felt cyst was small enough to continue on Clomid D3-7 {Still no IUI}. BFN :bfn: – another cyst on other side. Dr. didn’t put on B/C pills {grr}
August 16th – no clomid from cyst – long cycle 40 days. U/S showed another cyst
September 25th, 2010 – BC 1 month to get rid of cysts.
October 24th, First cycle IUI/Femara and Progesterone. Asked Polk for Femara to hopefully help with CM being dry. BFP :bfp: – Chemical
November 24th, - Femara/IUI - waiting

First off I just wanted to :welcome: you! It sounds like you have been through a tough journey. I don’t know what to tell you about moving to injectables vs IVF. I know several women here have gotten pregnant on their first cycle with injectables. Also, I have never heard of anyone taking 20mg Femera on day.

I am really new to all of this as well. I just had my first IUI on 11/27.

Good luck to you! I hope you get your BFP soon!

Tfosh - wow, it sounds like we’re in a similar place with all this stuff, give or take a few details (see my siggy).

So far I’ve only done clomid with my IUIs, but am hoping to switch it up for this next cycle. Actually waiting for my RE’s office to call me back sometime today to discuss that. So I don’t know if they’ll suggest femara or injectables, but I definitely feel like it’s time to try something new. In any case I’ll let you know what my next step will be!

My thought for you is that IUIs have gotten you pregnant, and you’ve conceived naturally, so no reason to rush into IVF, especially as $ is a factor for you. Injectables seem to be superior to clomid/femara in getting people pregnant (not sure why exactly, but I think you get more and better quality follicles). I also didn’t have great response with the clomid - just one follicle both times I did conceive and 2 this most recent cycle. So, I figure it doesn’t hurt to try something new.

While IVF has higher chances of a BFP than IUI would, you can still miscarry or have a chemical on IVF. So, for me, after having the chemical in Sept I wanted to give IUIs two more goes to see if I would have another chemical (or god forbid another mc), in which case I would want additional testing done. And if both the IUIs were negative, at least I could say that IUI is no longer “working” for me and it’s time to move on. Does that make sense?

Anyways, just wanted to share that as it may help you think about your situation too.

Good luck with everything!