Clomid Side effects

Ok so I finally looked up the side effects of clomid and I am really freaked out. I pasted it below…
[B]Side effects[/B]

Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual  people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects  that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side  effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this  medicine will experience that or any side effect.
	 [LIST]

[]Enlargement of the ovaries
[
]Pain in the lower abdomen in the middle of the menstrual cycle (mittelschmerz)
[]Over stimulation of the ovaries causing production of many eggs
[
]Hot flushes
[]Abdominal discomfort (swelling or bloating)
[
]Nausea and vomiting
[]Breast discomfort
[
]Visual disturbances
[]Headache
[
]Spotting of blood between menstrual periods
[]Heavy or painful menstrual periods
[
]Endometriosis
[]Dizziness
[
]Nervous tension
[]Insomnia
[
]Fatigue
[]Skin reactions such as rash and itch
[
]Loss of contact with reality (psychosis)
[]Stroke (cerebrovascular accident)
[
]Depression
[*]Seizures (convulsions)[/LIST]So I highlighted all the ones I have had, some more than others. I guess all my symptoms of pregnancy last month were due to the clomid. My main concern is that I have endometriosis, and that is one of the side effects! Now I am really stressed out and worried. Should I even start clomid again this cycle? What am I going to do now??? :grr:

What other medications are you ladies on and do you have any side effects from the medications?

[quote=essemkay]Well, of COURSE your ovaries are going to be a bit enlarged, you’re growing follicles. And of course you’re going to have mittelschmerz, because that’s ovulation pain.

I didn’t have any other symptoms or side effects from clomid. The majority of people seem to have none or few side effects, with a minority having headaches. I think you may be working yourself up needlessly, but for sure if you’re that concerned, discuss these issues with your RE.
[/quote]

If it was just a couple of these side effects and they were not severe I wouldnt be worried. My biggest concern is making the endometriosis come back and the severe AF cramping. Luckily it landed this weekend because I seriously doubt I would have been able to go to work like that. I do have a call into the nurse, but I havent heard back yet.

I’ve heard a lot of bad things about Clomid too, and talked about it with my RE. I almost pushed him to use Femara instead bc of the reduced s/e.

He said he would perscribe Femara if I was THAT concerned about Clomid, but he did say that historically he has gotten great results with Clomid. He also said that of course you will hear all the negatives about Clomid, much more than feedback from people with NO s/e. I went with my gut - trust my RE.

I started doing yoga yesterday and will also be taking my meds at night to hopefully help. I start 100mg of Clomid TONIGHT.

GL knopduch!

I am in the same boat as OCWife2010. I had read some bad things about clomid, and I asked my RE about it. He said about exactly that same thing as OCWIFE2010’s RE, more people post with negative side effects.

He said if I wanted to Femera he would give me that, but that he has much better success with Clomid. He said Femera is better for women that don’t ovulate and that generally it produces fewer follies than clomid. He said in his experience Femera generally produces 1 good sized follie.

I too am going to go with my gut and trust my RE. He did say that if I had any problems on the clomid or if I wasn’t producing follies well on it that we would try something different.

To anyone that has been on Clomid:

How many follies did you produce?
What was your worst side effect?
What mg size were you on?

What mg size were you on?

Silverelining to answer your questions:

This is my 3rd month doing clomid. Experience so far:
First time: 50mgs, 1 follicle, no side effects - miscarriage
Second time: 100mgs, 1 follicle, only side effect was some night sweats and hot flashes - chemical pregnancy
Third time: 100mgs, 2 (!!) follicles, only side effect was some night sweats/hot flashes, but not as bad as the other month - I have my IUI in the next few days so hoping 3rd time’s the charm :slight_smile:

I was terrified about taking clomid the first time due to the horror stories I’d heard, but my experience with it has been fine, with minimal side effects. This is the first month I’ve had more than one follicle, so I can’t say clomid’s had a super response doing what it’s supposed to do (I ovulate on my own without it), but on the other hand I did conceive on both of my completed clomid cycles.

Knpoduch - I would be most concerned about any side effects that you’re having that directly impact fertility. So, since you already have endo, make sure you understand how it can/will affect you. Also, anything like thinning your lining would make me run the other way from clomid. As to the other stuff, you have to decide how much of an impact the other side effects you felt had on you. If they’re in the “nuisance but livable” category, stick with it. But if you find you can’t function, well there’s probably something else that would work better for you.

I take any list of “potential side effects” with a huge grain of salt. This is a list of every possible side effect that anyone has reported, it never tells you how common these actually are (and most are rare). Any medication you take will have such a list if you look…the drug companies have to cover their butts. So be informed about potential side effects, but don’t let it scare you away from a medication.

[QUOTE=SilvereLyning]

What mg size were you on?[/QUOTE]

I was on 100mg one month and on 150mg this month. You can see in my signature how many follies I had.

The side effects I experienced on Clomid were hot flashes and headaches. I didnt realize it was Clomid until I was almost done using it. I also had some abdominal discomfort during ovulation due to the enlarged ovaries, but thats normal since your hyperstimulating them with Clomid. They will go back to normal after ovulation.

I heard that no one should take more than 150 mg of Clomid at any given time. More than 150mg can be toxic to the cervical mucus and actually have the opposite effect, it can kill the sperm. So if you’re doctor recommends more than 150 mg. I suggest you do some research.

Thanks ladies, I feel a lot better now. I spoke to the doctor and he isn’t concerned at all with side effects. To me almost anything is livable if it means getting pregnant. I’m used to the severe cramps because of the endo anyway. I’m really glad to learn the s/e actually, it’s a heck of a lot better than being crazy! I thought for sure that I was imaging all those pregnancy symptoms. Ha ha!

In response to sassygurl. What are your concerns with my lining just because I have endo? I technically was treated for endo so I wasn’t too worried. I’m wondering why my lining would be more of an issue than someone without endo.

Knopduch,

Oh, I think I probably wasn’t clear in my original message :slight_smile:

I don’t think you should be concerned about your lining MORE because you have endo. The only reason I mentioned it at all is that one of the more common side effects of clomid seems to be that it can thin your lining (which is counterproductive as then you can’t have implanation, or will suffer a very early loss). So, I think that most side effects would be bearable, but if I had a side effect that was directly impacting my chances of getting pregnant, like thinner lining I would not want to be on the medication. Clomid can also dry out your CM, which is also counterproductive to getting pregnant, but if you’re doing IUI anyways, then it’s not so much a concern as you’re bypassing the cervix anyways.

Hope that’s clearer, and good luck!

[quote=SassyGurl]Knopduch,

Oh, I think I probably wasn’t clear in my original message :slight_smile:

I don’t think you should be concerned about your lining MORE because you have endo. The only reason I mentioned it at all is that one of the more common side effects of clomid seems to be that it can thin your lining (which is counterproductive as then you can’t have implanation, or will suffer a very early loss). So, I think that most side effects would be bearable, but if I had a side effect that was directly impacting my chances of getting pregnant, like thinner lining I would not want to be on the medication. Clomid can also dry out your CM, which is also counterproductive to getting pregnant, but if you’re doing IUI anyways, then it’s not so much a concern as you’re bypassing the cervix anyways.

Hope that’s clearer, and good luck![/quote]

Ok yeah that makes more sense. The doc said my CM looked fine so maybe my lining is fine too? I need to ask him about that, but we dont do an U/S before the IUI. I am not sure if that is the only way to check the lining.

Just wanted to share my experience on 50mg Clomid: I had almost every side effect possible. I had cold-like symptoms, UTI symptoms, dizziness, lightheadedness, hot flashes, abdominal pain, fatigue, anxiety, depression…completely out of control emotions…it was AWFUL…and the stomach issues and UTI issues lasted until AF came…nasty stuff Clomid!

This month, I have had very minor side effects. A day or two of depression, a little bit emotional and some stomach issues.

So maybe my body reacted very strongly and the second time it was a little more used to it. Hopefully we all don’t have to take it for more than a month or two!!

[quote=fak673]Just wanted to share my experience on 50mg Clomid: I had almost every side effect possible. I had cold-like symptoms, UTI symptoms, dizziness, lightheadedness, hot flashes, abdominal pain, fatigue, anxiety, depression…completely out of control emotions…it was AWFUL…and the stomach issues and UTI issues lasted until AF came…nasty stuff Clomid!

This month, I have had very minor side effects. A day or two of depression, a little bit emotional and some stomach issues.

So maybe my body reacted very strongly and the second time it was a little more used to it. Hopefully we all don’t have to take it for more than a month or two!![/quote]

Well that makes me feel a lot better. Hopefully this month isnt so bad then. I am on day 3 of taking clomid and I have been having headaches and slight hot flashes. Last month around this time, I was having severe hot flashes. And then I started having the ovulation pain, which is fine with me, that way I know around when I ovulate. The only time it got really bad was during the 2 ww. I was having every early pregnancy symptom that you could have! I was so excited… nothing really bothered me about that. But the worst one was really the painful AF. That was just awful honestly. Maybe I wont have to worry about that this time! :cross: :pray::pray::pray::pray:

My fingers are crossed for you! Good luck!

Hi I’m new here. Just started my first IUI cycle on Clomid 100 mg for 5 days. I guess the only major complain I had with Clomid is it did thin my uterine lining, as I started with a pretty nice lining on my cycle day 2 but on my cycle day 10 the RE had to prescribe me Estrace 2mg for vaginal use to thicken the lining. Also I did not respond well to Clomid because I only had one 1 follicle, even though the doctor suggested we proceed with this cycle so I’m scheduled for insemination tomorrow.

Also I was acting like a walking zombie on the first 3 days of taking clomid. I felt sleepy all day long and almost dozed off on my driving wheel one day. But on the 4th day the drowsiness kinda went away and I was back to my old self.

I guess everybody is different and responds differently to Clomid. I even challenged my RE yesterday that if Clomid thinned my uterine and did not produce more eggs for me why started it the first time. He told me Clomid is the easiest and painless way to start infertility treatment and some women have no problem all at with lining and stuff. So I guess I’ll just go with it with my one and precious egg!:pray:

Clomid Side effects

I took 50 mg of Clomid w/ IUI for three months. I had horrible side effects. Headaches, hot flashes, depression, digestion problems, blurry vision and I was not a nice person to live with! Also, it thinned my lining (from 10 to 5). After the Clomid my periods have been HORRIBLE. I have severe cramping and bleed for only 1-2 days. The cramping starts 24hrs before the bleeding. My body is still recovering (its been 6 mons). My RE and acupuncturist said some women have this reaction. My periods have always been regular and I ovulate on my own. Since, stopping Clomid I ovulate every other month.