Cloth Diapering Support Thread

Hi Ladies,

I know there are a number of us who either have cloth diapered in the past or are interested in/planning to cloth diaper our babies. I thought it might be nice to have some support buddies to go through the process or share tips.

Also we’ve had a bunch of babies that have been born over the last couple of months. How is the cloth diapering experience going for the new moms? do you have any advice to share?

So far I have ordered and prepped most of my diapering supplies (prefolds, covers, pocket diapers, etc) I’ve found some good deals on craigslist as well. I also plan to use cloth wipes.

Oh so glad you started this thread…I kind of got initiated all on my own without much of an idea as to what to expect…it isn’t so bad or too much work…well except for the 3 am poopy diapers! Wish I knew when they were going to poo so I could throw a disposable diaper on them before, lol!

Hi Sarah, I hope others will join in too.

Have you tried using those flushable liners? I havent tried them yet but they’re supposed to help catch most of the poop. I dont know how well they work with newborn poop but once the baby starts on solids it might be worth a shot. I know I am not up to the spraying or the dunk/swish route :slight_smile:

I’ve also heard that poop washes off fleece well so maybe putting a fleece liner for overnight would be another option.

I’m in the transition from disposables to cloth! It’s all new to me! What brands do you recommend? I have some fuzzier buns AIO. I’m not to sure if I like them cuz they are so huge on my 2 month old. So today I ordered some small ones. Anyways how many do you think I will need in total once I figure out which ones I like? Any advice will be very helpful!

Hi nevaehbrandonkim,

I’ve never cloth diapered before but what I did was get a variety of covers so that I could try them out and see which ones I like best. I plan to use primarily prefolds/covers and pocket diapers. I also have some organic disposable diapers or the first few days since the meconium can stain the diapers.

I’ve read the prowraps and the kissaluvs are nice for newborns. The one size pockets are better once they are a little older. I bought a few fuzzi bunz pocket diapers, thirsties covers, bummies covers, prowraps covers, kissaluvs fitted diapers. like the thirsties duo covers because they have these extra rings around the leg and are said to prevent leaks better

As for how many you would need it would depend on how often you want to do laundry. I have about 24-36 prefolds. Some in newborn size some in infant size. I plan to do laundry every other day or every 2 days at the most.

I dont remember how many covers I have. Will let you know. but on average I’ve read that newborns have about 12 diaper changes a day, you can reuse the covers for wet diapers but will need to change for poopy diapers.

I also ordered some hemp liners and doublers for overnight.

Hope this helps.

btw this is one of the cloth diaper blogs that I’ve referred to a lot:

Cloth Diaper Systems Links All About Cloth Diapers | Cloth Diaper Answers All About Cloth Diapers

Thanks for the advice! I’m looking online and also going to a cloth diaper class in November. So hopefully I can get a better idea! Lol
I just don’t want to buy stuff I wont use. My dh isn’t very supportive on going to cloth, but it will save us tons of money. And its better for baby and the environment!

I havent cloth diapered yet but ive been reseaching like crazy lol. I think i may do cloth during the day and disposable at night, i cant see getting up in the middle of night and going thru all that. But i wanted to say there is a great website that sells the cutest cloth diapers, (much like fuzzibunz) but for the half the price!!! its LuvYourBaby.com

[LEFT]Thanks for sharing that link Carol. I will have to order a few to try. Looks like they make some that are similar to the thirsties velcro ones and some that a combination of snaps/velcro.

There a lots of nice videos on youtube that show how to change cloth diapers or fold prefolds. You should have your dh watch them to see that its not as complicated as it seems.

I also ordered some grovia bio soaker disposable pads to use as a back up or if we are traveling or something.

[/LEFT]

We’re planning on cloth diapering…we’re still using disposables for our baby (she’s a week old), mainly because breast feeding has been stressful and I feel like I need to tackle one thing at a time!
I did try out one of our fitted cloth diapers with a cover yesterday. She definately let me know right away when she was wet, whereas the disposables stay much drier, obviously. I know this is a good thing for future potty training though. I think as we transition into cloth we’ll probably continue to do disposables at night…I feel like I wake up enough as it is to feed her, I’d rather not wake up additional times to do diaper changes as well.
We’re starting out mainly with fitted cloth and prefolds and covers…we have a fuzzibunz AIO, a flips diaper and inserts, and a few thirsties covers. Hopefully it goes well, I was really looking forward to saving some money with doing cloth (we only spent about 100$ on everything).

Hi kellbell,

I too have disposables as a back up esp since I am new to the whole cloth diapering thing.

Let us know how it goes and which diapering system you like best.

I’m still on the fence on whether to cloth diaper this baby or not. I used disposables on my twins, and they never had problems with rashes etc., but we sure did use alot of them. I do like the idea of disposables at night.

Oh and just a tip, I’ve heard others say not to use cloth right in the beginning because that first poop (black tar) that babies get will stain cloth diapers and never come out.

I look forward to hearing what kind you all decide on. I myself have been looking at the Bum Genius 4.0.

I’m definitely going to join this thread sometime soon! We’re going with a cloth diaper service in our town for our baby who is due in early December. :slight_smile:

[quote=FurBaby]I’m still on the fence on whether to cloth diaper this baby or not. I used disposables on my twins, and they never had problems with rashes etc., but we sure did use alot of them. I do like the idea of disposables at night.

Oh and just a tip, I’ve heard others say not to use cloth right in the beginning because that first poop (black tar) that babies get will stain cloth diapers and never come out.

I look forward to hearing what kind you all decide on. I myself have been looking at the Bum Genius 4.0.[/quote]

yeah, we knew we weren’t going to use them right away because of the meconium, but that was pretty much out of her system within 4-5 days (and if you are successfully feeding sooner than that you might find that the meconium passes through even faster)
I can definately say that laundering BF poop is no big deal though! It is so watery, just do a rinse cycle prior to washing and you’re all good.

Hi all-

Just found a great deal on Fuzzibunz cloth diapers…on sale for $11.99 each.

http://www.zulily.com/fuzzibunz120110.html

~Kate

[quote=charlie’smom]Hi all-

Just found a great deal on Fuzzibunz cloth diapers…on sale for $11.99 each.

http://www.zulily.com/fuzzibunz120110.html

~Kate[/quote]

woah that is cheap!! Those are usually almost 20$!

What diaper rash cream do you guys use? I’ve been using Aveeno and using a liner to protect the diaper, but I’m kind of getting sick of using the liner…any good diaper rash creams that are CD safe that you guys like? California baby is so expensive!!
I also heard that diaper rash cream only ruins synthetic fibers…not natural ones like cotton? So do you think the Aveeno stuff we have would be ok to use on plain old cotton prefolds?

Hi ladies, this thread is quiet. Just wondering if you new moms that were planning on CD have started yet?

I haven’t but been doing research again. YouTube is great. Tons of videos on different Diapers. My little guy is tiny so I still have some time before starting. Been looking at the BG 4.0, but now also I’ve heard of the flip and katydid brands. The flip is by the same people that make the BG.

Anyone using these? Oh and I’m wondering for those using Fuzzi bunz, why did you choose them over the others?

i love flip, but we only do pockets for daycare…love BG and fuzzibunz but they’re way too expensive, so most of our pockets are gogreen brand, they’re $8-10 a piece and they have cuter prints

Ordered my first set of Cloth Diapers. I’m trying a few Kawaii right now, as they are inexpensive and have great reviews. Thanks for the review Sarah :slight_smile:

I just noticed this thread…what a great thread! I’ve been using bum genius 3.0’s since my little one was 2 weeks old (and she is and was tiny) and we did okay. I also have a bunch of chinese prefolds with bummis covers and about 6 fuzzibunz (every once in a while there is a good sale of outdated colors and they are so worth it!). For the last 11 months, I’ve used mostly the bum genius and the fuzzibunz (both one size) and I am torn. I love the convenience of the velcro on the bumgenius but I like how the fuzzibunz cleans up (wayyyy better) and they seem to be more adaptable to growth (There are a lot more ways to adjust them to larger sizes). I love cloth diapering and think her huge tushy is the most adorable thing:-) But, there are some kinks to work out, so be aware, the laundry detergent choices, clean up, storage, whether or not you need to “strip” the diapers (I Have an HE laundry and the diapers tend to get a little build up and stinky after a few weeks so once a month I have to use a tiny bit of bleach). Its a learning curve but I was surprised at how easy it is once you get used to it. And, they are so much softer and cuter than disposables (plus, the ecological benefits!). Good luck!

Hi Ladies,

Sorry I forgot about my own thread!

I wasnt able to start with the cloth diapering right away, I had lactation issues and my parents were here and it was just easier to use the disposables in the beginning however once I started it was a lot easier than I anticipated. I have the Thirsties duo covers which I love (they have an extra leg gusset) no leaks so far! and a few Bummis and Fuzzi Bunz and those work good too.The prefolds are fine and so far I’ve not had any issues with smells or stains.

The poopy diapers are a bit more work to clean (I am pumping some and supplementing with formula) but not too bad. I just rinse off the excess on the prefolds , spray it with some Bac Out stain remover and/or soak it in a little oxy baby. Then throw it in the wash.

I use the bum genius detergent for cloth diapers and sometimes Bio Kleen…both are working good so far.

I have a dry diaper pail with 2 liners. I have noticed that I have to do laundry every 2-3 days max otherwise the urine smell gets too overwhelming. I have some baking soda inserts in the pail to deal with the smell and that helps some.

We still use disposables for overnight or going out but otherwise I am really happy that I decided to cloth diaper and I love the big diaper booty too!

Yogagirl: try using a little oxy baby either in the wash or as a presoak. I’ve read that a little vinegar in the final rinse also helps.

Has anyone else started else started cd-ing? Hope all the new mommies are all doing well!