Cloth Diapers - Burp Cloths

Hi Ladies,

I wasn’t sure where to post this question so I’m posting it in here. I plan to use cloth diapers as burp cloths as I’ve read from many of the mommy blogs that cloth diapers work so well for this.

I am having trouble figuring out which size would be sufficient. The cloth diapers I’m looking at comes in 3 different sizes. Initially, I had the smallest ones picked out but on second thought, I’m worried it might be a tad too small after shrinkage and washing. I’m tempted to go with the largest size but worried that it would be too large.

Here are the sizes:
9.5" x 13"
12" x 16"
14.5"x22"

Please advise! Thanks!!

[QUOTE=Lilacs80]Hi Ladies,

I wasn’t sure where to post this question so I’m posting it in here. I plan to use cloth diapers as burp cloths as I’ve read from many of the mommy blogs that cloth diapers work so well for this.

I am having trouble figuring out which size would be sufficient. The cloth diapers I’m looking at comes in 3 different sizes. Initially, I had the smallest ones picked out but on second thought, I’m worried it might be a tad too small after shrinkage and washing. I’m tempted to go with the largest size but worried that it would be too large.

Here are the sizes:
9.5" x 13"
12" x 16"
14.5"x22"

Please advise! Thanks!![/QUOTE]

Hey Liliacs,

We’re looking at cloth also but haven’t made a decision yet.

You might want to look at the “one size” adjustable cloth diapers with snaps so you do not have to keep buying new ones each time your baby outgrows a size. Here’s one example:
FuzziBunz® One Size Pocket Diapers can Adjust to Withstand Three Years of Use!

Others, such as Charlie Banana, also have a one size. The one sized diapers fit 7-35 pounds or so but it varies based on brand. Do an Internet search for “cloth diapers one size”

The ones I used most (not cloth diapers but ones my mom made from flannel) were about 6 x 10, and I thought that was a pretty good size, so I think you’d be fine with the smallest cloth diaper. Granted, Rachel wasn’t a terribly spitty baby, but I would think that if you go too large, it’ll take a while to “fill up” and if it’s sitting around it might get a bit smelly. On the other hand, if you plan to wash them relatively quickly after they’re soiled, you’ll probably find that the large are much bigger than you need. And you have to save all the room you can in that diaper bag!

Maybe someone with a spittier baby can give some advice?

[QUOTE=HopefulinCO]The ones I used most (not cloth diapers but ones my mom made from flannel) were about 6 x 10, and I thought that was a pretty good size, so I think you’d be fine with the smallest cloth diaper. Granted, Rachel wasn’t a terribly spitty baby, but I would think that if you go too large, it’ll take a while to “fill up” and if it’s sitting around it might get a bit smelly. On the other hand, if you plan to wash them relatively quickly after they’re soiled, you’ll probably find that the large are much bigger than you need. And you have to save all the room you can in that diaper bag!

Maybe someone with a spittier baby can give some advice?[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That’s a good point! I didn’t even think about that diaper bag!

I never used actual burp cloths. They were so small it seemed rediculous. I always just kept lots of recieving blankets on hand…you can use them for burping, for cathcing messes, for diaper changing mats, for covering yourself and baby when breastfeeding, for wrapping baby in…etc…etc…

With my last baby I did try out the cloth diapers and they worked just fine. It was a smaller cloth but it worked. I would still go with receieving blankets though, they are so pretty and you can use them for so many different things.

My baby spits up a TON, and I use the largest gerber cloth diapers I could find. Of course he still gets my clothes half the time as he likes to turn his head at the last minute and get my arm or chest or wherever isn’t covered by the diaper… =)

I also like using the recieving blankets. They fold up super small and are great for many things! I find that the burp clothes that I do have are too stiff and never end up in the spot where I need them.

I use the smallest cloth diaper. My baby is also not terribly spitty, but they’re so soft and absorbent, I use them for any kind of baby mess. And they’re really cheap and can be bleached – win-win! Now that she’s teething, she loves to chew on them and they work great for wiping up the buckets of drool or wetting them and putting them in the fridge for a bit to make nice soothing teethers.

as you can see from the other posts, it all depends on whether your babe spits. our daughter had terrible reflux and everything came out of her mouth, i was a cloth diaper haven. it was funny because got a present of burb clothes from a nonspitter and they were pretty but not very helpful, bottom line, get a few and see what happens after the baby is born.

Thanks ladies! I think I’ll just get a few packs in each size and extra in the biggest size.