Co-q10, DHEA, royal jelly, wheat grass??

Hello,
I am a poor responder.
My doctor put me on DHEA 15 mg twice daily.
I have also read about Co-q10, bee pollen, and wheat grass.
I read on some forums that some people recommend DHEA 25 mg three times a day.
I read that some people take 800 mg Co-q10 a day. The gel caps are only 100 mg, so I just started 100 mg per day yesterday, but I am wondering what dose I should take.
Has anyone had luck with these supplements?
If so, what dosage?
Thanks!
Lang

Hi-
I’ve read there’s a difference between prescription DHEA and the DHEA in the vitamin store. Maybe that accounts for the different dose, I’ve heard that poor responders should be on 75 mg DHEA.

I did Baby Asprin, 2Tb Royal Jelly with Bee Pollen in Honey, CoQ10, prenatal, and Fish Oil daily for my IVF cycle.

I had DH on the RJ also to help with #'s.

I’ve also heard wheatgrass can help with FSH.

Good luck!!

I took 75mg DHEA, 800mg CoQ10, 1000mg royal jelly (in a softgel), an omega 3-6-9 and 1000mg of L-Arginine for the 3 months before the IVF I am currently in the 2ww with. Compared to the cycle I did 2.5 years ago, I produced 5 more mature eggs (last time 7, this time 12) and 3 more embryos (last time 4, this time 7). Who can really be sure if it was the supplements, but I am happy so far with this cycle! I definitely found in my research that the CoQ10 should be at 800mg, which kind of stinks since it was pretty expensive, and my RE recommends 75 mg of DHEA. Good luck!

Thanks ladies! I was only taking 100 mg of the Co-q10, so I will have to change that. Did you take it all at once?
Thanks!
Lang

For my 3rd and finally successful cycle I took:

1 baby asprin every day
1 pre-natal
1 Omega-3 Fish Oil (I think it was 1000mg - I don’t remember but can check if needed)
1 teaspoon of royal jelly in organic honey 2x/day
1 teaspoon of wheat grass (just mixed with water) 2x/day
75mg of DHEA
Acupunture 2x/week

I was considered a poor responder, my 2nd cycle was canceled for poor response. I did all of the above for 3 months. The diference between by cycles was significant. I went from 7 eggs, of which only 3 fertilized that resulted in poor quality embryos to 9 eggs, not a huge increase BUT - 8 fertilized w/o ICSI. We transfered 3, day 3 8-celled embyros and froze 2 blasts on day 6. HUGE difference. Now, what from the above list actually caused the difference…who knows - most science based evidence points to the DHEA. Also, according to my RE the OTC DHEA has the same results as compounded (prescription) DHEA.

Good luck!

Thanks Everyone!
THis is really helpful.
Best wishes,
Lang

taking supplements works

For my 3rd IVF I took the exact same stuff as Emma L and added 200mg of Coq10 and 5mg melatonin liquid (at night)
However, I only took 50mg of DHEA for about 5 weeks before the IVF process and the rest i took for 2 months.

My 2nd IVF I had 3 follies, I had only 2 mature eggs (I’m 40) and only one fertilized and transferred on Day 3 and was only 3 cells.

Then I took all those pills and supplements for the 3rd IVF and I had 6 follies, 6 eggs, all six fertilized, 3 transferred on Day 3 and all were 8 cell (2 of them with very little fragmentation!). I am pregnant and 1st beta (17dpo) was 406, 2nd beta (19dpo) is 1142 !
I might have twins but not sure, I will know next week.
Absolutely convinced that the DHEA was key as well as the other supplements.

Also, the DHEA was “micronized” which means it would absorb better, I bought it at Vitamin Shoppe. I also bought the Royal Jelly/Bee Pollen at Vitamin Shoppe. I bought everything else at the local pharmacy except for the Organic wheatgrass powder, I bought that at Amazon.com.

I hope this convinces you to try this stuff. Don’t take DHEA for more than 3 months and don’t take during any of the IVF because it interferes with b/c pills and shots. I did a lot of research first and then did it and so glad that I did.

By the way, the DHEA lowered my FSH from a 12 to a 10.

Good luck to you and I really hope this helps! I wish someone had told me all this a year ago!!! :wink:

Thanks everyone.
I switched to Dr. Sher at SIRM- Las Vegas. He wanted me to stop the DHEA immediately, said that the testosterone could influence the quality of the eggs in a bad way. I really have no idea what any of this stuff does!
I looked at l-arginine at the store, and is advertised for body builders! Does anyone know what it actually does? Or what the melatonin and Inositol do?
Thanks and happy holidays!
Lang

Murphy, do you know why you shouldn’t take the DHEA for more than 3 months? I took it for 4 1/2. It seemed like it really helped me for my 3 IUIs but didn’t do much this IVF cycle. :frowning: If this cycle fails, we’re going to go to a new RE. How long should I be off of it before trying it again?

Thanks!

[quote=murphy]For my 3rd IVF I took the exact same stuff as Emma L and added 200mg of Coq10 and 5mg melatonin liquid (at night)
However, I only took 50mg of DHEA for about 5 weeks before the IVF process and the rest i took for 2 months.

My 2nd IVF I had 3 follies, I had only 2 mature eggs (I’m 40) and only one fertilized and transferred on Day 3 and was only 3 cells.

Then I took all those pills and supplements for the 3rd IVF and I had 6 follies, 6 eggs, all six fertilized, 3 transferred on Day 3 and all were 8 cell (2 of them with very little fragmentation!). I am pregnant and 1st beta (17dpo) was 406, 2nd beta (19dpo) is 1142 !
I might have twins but not sure, I will know next week.
Absolutely convinced that the DHEA was key as well as the other supplements.

Also, the DHEA was “micronized” which means it would absorb better, I bought it at Vitamin Shoppe. I also bought the Royal Jelly/Bee Pollen at Vitamin Shoppe. I bought everything else at the local pharmacy except for the Organic wheatgrass powder, I bought that at Amazon.com.

I hope this convinces you to try this stuff. Don’t take DHEA for more than 3 months and don’t take during any of the IVF because it interferes with b/c pills and shots. I did a lot of research first and then did it and so glad that I did.

By the way, the DHEA lowered my FSH from a 12 to a 10.

Good luck to you and I really hope this helps! I wish someone had told me all this a year ago!!! ;)[/quote]

[QUOTE=Lang]Thanks everyone.
I switched to Dr. Sher at SIRM- Las Vegas. He wanted me to stop the DHEA immediately, said that the testosterone could influence the quality of the eggs in a bad way. I really have no idea what any of this stuff does!
I looked at l-arginine at the store, and is advertised for body builders! Does anyone know what it actually does? Or what the melatonin and Inositol do?
Thanks and happy holidays!
Lang[/QUOTE]

That’s strange… Both UCSF and CCRM said it doesn’t hurt anything to be on DHEA and gave me an RX for a compounded prescription of it… I get so confused with all of this, especially since everyone’s cycles are different and we really don’t know WHAT makes one cycle better than the other… I was told Estrogen Prime wouldn’t effect my stims… yet it did… I was told Clomid Flair wouldn’t give me better results, and it did.

I wish it was more straight forward…

Dhea

I was on DHEA for about 3 months before IVF. I took 25 mg, twice a day, and it was the micronized version. It definitely help my numbers. My RE had me stop the DHEA when I started stims.