Cold Medicine Be Keeping You From Getting Pregnant?

Have you ever wondered about the effects of your over the counter medicines on fertility? If you are actively TTC (trying to conceive), here are a couple of medicines to try and avoid.[B]

1. Laxatives[/B] Among many things, laxatives can keep the body from absorbing calcium. Calcium is important when it comes to the production of eggs and sperm.

[B]2. Aspirin [/B]Since aspirin thins the blood, it can keep implantation from occurring. However, baby aspirin is sometimes prescribed by doctors during the TTC journey if a woman has specific blood disorders.

[B]3. Ibuprofen[/B] You should definitely try to stay away from Ibuprofen if you are trying to get pregnant. Not only does it mess with ovulation and implantation, there are numerous studies linking miscarriage to frequent use of the drug.

[B]4. Antacids such as Gaviscon [/B]If you take significant quantities of this drug, it can keep the body from successfully absorbing iron. A loss of iron can trigger anemia, which is not good for fertility.

[B]5. Antihistamines like Benadryl and Sudafed[/B] Antihistamines do crazy things to the body while trying to conceive. They have been known to interfere with implantation and to mess with cervical mucus. Cervical mucus may change in terms of its thickness and quantity.

If you are currently taking any of the above medicines, you will want to talk with your doctor about its effects on your chances of pregnancy.

I also have a feeling it plays a part in how your test results come back. The first time all my levels were tested, I had a horrendus cold and was on antibiotics and OTC meds. All my #'s ended up in the gutter and I was told my only chance of conceiving was an ED. I went for a second opinion 2 months later, and my numbers all look in normal range except for my AMH, which still resides in the gutter.