Confused about cycle lengths

Need help. Does anyone know if stim cycles are still considered to be 28 days whether or not you trigger earlier or later in the cycle? When not TTC, I have pretty much clock work 28 day cycles. I started getting worried today when at 11 dpiui, I’m still BFN.

Then I realized something. When we had the successful IUI four years ago, the IUI was done on cd18. The first beta was then on cd32. So I never did an hpt until cd31.

This time, the IUI was done on cd13. And my beta is scheduled for cd27. My RE always does betas 2 weeks after IUI.

So, I was thinking last time my first beta was 147. I was figuring based on that, by now I would at least have a faint line. But the whole cycle length has me messed up. I was further along in the cycle last time. So technically not realizing, I never tested until I was “late.”

Bottom line, does it go by your normal cycle or when you ovulated (IUI day)?

Thank you all in advance for any input. I know I shouldn’t be testing but…:pray::cross::pray::cross:

My normal cycle is always off when I trigger so I go by when my IUI is and so does my RE.

Thank you. That’s what I thought, but was trying to convince myself otherwise. :frowning:

Cycle length can vary – your follicular phase (the time between day 1 of AF and when you ovulate) can be wildly different, especially in the case of medicated cycles. What stays constant is your luteal phase (the time between ovulation and AF) - this rarely changes by more than a day no matter what cycle day you ovulated.

On non-medicated cycles for me i always have 26-28 day cycles with ovulation being CD12 or 14, with a 14 day LP after ovulation. When i am on medicated cycles i don’t worry about the cycle length or ovulation day. What i look at is the days from ovulation to AF. Mine are also always 14 days.

But if you trigger early and have IUI earlier than your normal ovulation time, then AF is going to show up earlier than on a non-medicated cycle. One IUI i had my IUI on CD9, so my cycle would have been “shorter” than my normal.

That all makes sense. I do believe since I stopped the birth control pills in August, I’ve been ovulating earlier in the cycle. Which is probably why the IUI was done earlier this time. So if my lp is longer, it may still be too early for a +hpt?

[quote=littleitalian]That all makes sense. I do believe since I stopped the birth control pills in August, I’ve been ovulating earlier in the cycle. Which is probably why the IUI was done earlier this time. So if my lp is longer, it may still be too early for a +hpt?[/quote]If my math is correct, it’s been 11 days since your IUI - for convenience sake (and because it’s no doubt true) we’ll call IUI day your ovulation date. That can certainly be too early. Implantation takes place somewhere between 6 and 12 days past ovulation (with 8-10 days being the most common) and then it takes a few days for hcg to build up in your system sufficiently to shed in your urine in quantities high enough to trip an hpt. Although some people get early positives, I think it’s generally safest to wait to test until 14dpo.

But I’m also a big fat chicken. :smiley:

[quote=essemkay]If my math is correct, it’s been 11 days since your IUI - for convenience sake (and because it’s no doubt true) we’ll call IUI day your ovulation date. That can certainly be too early. Implantation takes place somewhere between 6 and 12 days past ovulation (with 8-10 days being the most common) and then it takes a few days for hcg to build up in your system sufficiently to shed in your urine in quantities high enough to trip an hpt. Although some people get early positives, I think it’s generally safest to wait to test until 14dpo.

But I’m also a big fat chicken. :D[/quote]

You know what? I thought it would be easier to just test out the trigger and then test every day b/c once I tested out the trigger I knew I wouldn’t get a “false positive” b/c of the trigger. And of course I spent way too much time looking at people’s pics on that one site that were getting them from 9dpo.

I think I learned my lesson and will skip tomorrow and just wait until Sunday (13dpiui).