Confused: Could you share your Follistim dosage for IUI?

I’ve finally decided to try injectables and this morning I went for my baseline CD2 blood work and u/s.

The center was crowded and I waited for more than two hours. Finally when I saw the RE (never met him before), he stayed with me for 2 minutes top. He said, “so, we’re trying Clomid this month?” Huh, wrong patient. I had called and asked for Follistim last month and already bought the medicine. My regular RE had faxed a prescription to my pharmacy: 10 days of [B]Follistim 225 iu[/B]. Then this morning’s RE said, “of sorry, the nurse will give you all the details after you get dressed.”

When I met with the nurse, she gave me my protocol: 5 days of [B]Follistim 75 iu[/B]! This seems like a really low dose for someone my age with a high FSH, no? How can my other RE prescribes a dosage 3 x higher?

I don’t want to waste this cycle and end up with a poor response. They asked me to come back for u/s and b/w next Friday after 5 days of injections. But now I’m wondering if I should go with 225 iu, or 75 iu, or something in between?

I’m worried that the RE this morning just had no idea who I was, my age, my past tries, and just wanted to be safe with a low starting dose.

Could you gals share your Follistim protocol to give me an idea? Thank you.

I see you responded well to 100mg clomid. I do also, so i was started out on 75IU follistim. So maybe they want to start you out low to see how you respond. Usually the first cycle of a new drug is more of a guess and see how you do. They can always up the meds after the first scan when they see how you are responding. Is there a way you can do the low dose tonight or whenever you start and then call and ask your regular RE?

2nd IUI was 100mg clomid, ended up not responding well so they adding 75IU follistim for 6 days - I had 5 follies with 4 mature almost 5.

3rd IUI was 8 days of 75IU follistim - 4 follies, 4 mature.

4th IUI with a new RE was 2.5mg femara and 2 days of 50IU follistim - 1 mature follie

5th IUI with another new RE after finding out i have elevated FSH was 6 days of 75IU follistim. Wasn’t responding as they would like so on CD9 they upped me to 100IU. It wasn’t doing much, so i upped it to 125IU on CD11 for the last day before bloodwork without the RE knowing. Wrong i know but i was needed to IUI before i flew out of state. I had 2 mature follies.

I think I did 7 days of 75 and then they upped it to 150… it’s in my siggy I think.

Well, it’s not but here’s what I did:

Thurs Nov 24-30
75 Follistim + 1 Menopur
Thurs Dec 1 & 2
150 Follistim + 1 Menopur
Sat Dec 3 & 4
150 Follistim + 1 Menopur + Ganirelix
Mon Dec 5
Ovidrel Shot

So basically I did 75IU’s for a week before they upped me, I was monitored every few days, too. And I’m 37 and this was my first time and I’m still in my 2ww. HTH’s!

Hopeful - I would start at 75 to be safe honestly…you responded well to clomid and the last thing you want is a cancelled cycle due to overstimming!!! 225 would be crazy to start at! I have never heard of a dose that high to begin. I started at 100 I believe (see sig) and then responded well so they downed me to 75 iu so I didn’t over stim. I had little to no response on clomid though so that is why I started at 100. I would actually feel better if I were starting lower and then going up versus starting high and having to cancel a cycle after all that time and money. Good luck!

[SIZE=3]First cycle which was a bust I was using 75. The second cycle, which was success, I started with 100 and then, the last two days of the cycle, I went down to 50. Hence, five follies and twins! :slight_smile:

GL!!! :babydust:[/SIZE]

I have an AMH of 0.27 and my Follistim dosage for IUI started off at 75iu. 225iu is what they might start you at for IVF.

thank you!

Thank you so much, all! You gals are seriously the best :clap::clap::cheer:It’s so useful to be able to share and compare with other women!

In the end, I decided to stay with 75 iu. You gals are right, it’s probably better to start with a lower dose. The center phoned my new baseline results: FSH: 8.8, LH: 5.5 and Estradiol: 43.4. The nurse said that the Estradiol level shows that I should respond well to stimulation, so we shall see. I will go Friday morning for u/s…hoping to have several follies growing. At my age, it’s a numbers’ game so I need many to be sure there is one good egg.

[quote=HopefulinNY]Thank you so much, all! You gals are seriously the best :clap::clap::cheer:It’s so useful to be able to share and compare with other women!

In the end, I decided to stay with 75 iu. You gals are right, it’s probably better to start with a lower dose. The center phoned my new baseline results: FSH: 8.8, LH: 5.5 and Estradiol: 43.4. The nurse said that the Estradiol level shows that I should respond well to stimulation, so we shall see. I will go Friday morning for u/s…hoping to have several follies growing. At my age, it’s a numbers’ game so I need many to be sure there is one good egg.[/quote]

hi hopeful gl with your procedure tomorrow! if i dont get pregnant this cycle i’ll be starting my first cycle ~ jan 27 with follistim/trigger and IUIx2 rounds in early february. pls. keep us posted

as you can see, i started at 150iu and stayed there the whole time. it seemed like a short cycle because i did the iui on cd11. so :pray: :pray: for a :bfp: …1 week down 1 more to go!