Continue IUI or move to IVF?


#1

Hi Ladies!

I’ve been on here all year. I’ve had 3 IUIs. First one I got pregnant but miscarried.

I’m curious as to why some of you do a lot of IUIs vs moving on to IVF. We can’t decide what to do. IVF is so expensive, but there is a clinic now here in Atlanta that is only 6500 (plus meds.)

But still, I can’t really afford that. My current RE said that with IUI I have an 18 to 20% chance each time to get pregnant. With IVF it would be between 20 - 30%. Not much better odds for so much money! (I’m 37, almost 38. Tick tock!)

So, I was just wondering if any one had advice. Are you sticking to IUI due to money, or is it because your drs think it will work just the same for you? I’m torn. But yet, I keep leaning towards IUIs because a) i’m used to it and b) less money, hopefully. (Three more IUIs and I will be hitting the costs of an IVF.)

But it did work one time. I just miscarried. What to do, what to do!

Also, if anyone knows where in Atlanta I can get an IUI done for less than $2700 - 3200 a pop (depending on number of u/s needed,) I would appreciate the info!


#2

i totally agree, not sure what to do and/or why either. we did 3 iuis all bfn then ivf and we have twins…now just finished 2nd iui and not sure if we should try agfain or move on. ivf is pricey!


#3

For us, IUI works. We are just hoping for the right sticky bean. My RE told us we could keep doing IUI’s since 4 out of our 5 IUI’s have gotten us BFP’s. But while we do IUI’s we are on the IVF waiting list with our military hospital. Military insurance doesn’t cover IUI or IVF, so paying 15k for one IVF cycle just isn’t something we’re willing to do. We’ll wait our year and pay $3000 including meds.

I’d say for you since your RE gave you 18-20% chance per IUI stick with that. That is what a normal healthy couple has with no infertility issues. I’d be a little worried that IVF only gives you 20-30% chance. IVF is suppose to give at least 50% chance. I know with the clinic we’ll be using we have a 55-60% chance of a bfp with IVF, but we have a 25-30% chance with IUI. Maybe check with sart.org and check that clinic’s success rates. If live birth is less than 40-50% look into another clinic.

Goodluck!


#4

Thanks ya’ll!


#5

I have no known fertility issues, dh has a low sperm count (while on meds, without meds he is azoo). We have had 2 natural pg’s one with ds and 1 blighted ovum.

So for us, it was just a matter of time to get the right combination of # of eggs vs. sperm count.

The only reason we did the 7th IUI (the one that worked) was that we had a schedule issue with IVF, and had to wait for the next cycle, so we decided to try one last ditch effort at IUI.


#6

[quote=momtonewfs]I have no known fertility issues, dh has a low sperm count (while on meds, without meds he is azoo). We have had 2 natural pg’s one with ds and 1 blighted ovum.

So for us, it was just a matter of time to get the right combination of # of eggs vs. sperm count.

The only reason we did the 7th IUI (the one that worked) was that we had a schedule issue with IVF, and had to wait for the next cycle, so we decided to try one last ditch effort at IUI.[/quote]

Congrats!! I’m so excited for you. As every keeps saying, just keep on trying. It worked for you! Yay!


#7

Hi,

We’ve had 3 IUI’s all BFN and we’re going for a 4th in Jan. For me it’s been that IUI’s are less invasive than IVF. We were fortunate enough that my health insurance has covered all costs with minimal co-pays. We would continue going the IUI route until we had 6 BFN’s before considering IVF, but we were thrown a curve ball. I work for the city and they are changing our health insurance as of July 1st. Now We’d have to pay $40 a visit and meet a $750 deductible before anything is covered. Not sure what percentage the insurance will cover after the deductible. If the Jan IUI doesn’t work we are going to try and get 1-2 IVF cycles in if possible before July. We hate that money becomes a factor… I’d say do what you feel comfortable with. If you’re comfortable with IVF my RE says she sees better results in a smaller number of attempts. Good Luck!

Me- 30 - Hypothyroid
DH - 35- Retrograde Ejaculation due to juvenile diabetes

Aug 2011 - IUI 1 - 100mg Clomid, 2 follicles, ovidrel shot - :bfn:
Sept 2011 - IUI 2 - 100mg Clomid, 1 follicle, ovidrel shot - :bfn:
Oct 2011 - IUI 3 - 100mg Clomid, 1 follicle, ovidrel shot - :bfn:
Nov - Dec - Took a break for the holidays
Jan. - Will start IUI 4 with 150mg of Clomid.


#8

For us it has been a Money issue. Insurance only covers 50% of treatment and NO medications. Numerous Failed cycles Natural and Oral meds, 4 failed IUI’s 2 Oral and 2 injectable cycles. We only have ever had 1 BFP and that was our first IUI but it turned into a chemical.

We’re going to try and move to IVF. If it turns out we have to save. It will be a VERY long time before we get to do IVF. If we get funding we will do it asap. Need to calle our RE and get a consult and see what is going to work for us and pray that 2012 give us our little miracle or 2 :slight_smile: