Crummy blighted ovum rollercoaster

I’ve been a long-time lurker on here, this is my first time posting.

As you can see from my sig, I got pregnant on my 1st and 3rd IUIs. First was a chemical pregnancy, and though disappointing, we always knew it wouldn’t work out since I got my period exactly 14dpiui. Anyway, got pregnant on the 3rd IUI. My first three betas were all normal. Fourth beta was not-so-normal, and our RE became concerned about an ectopic. She had us come in the next day for an ultrasound (when I was 5w5d). Long story short, we had a morning ultrasound, and then she wanted me to go to the high risk OB nearby because they have better ultrasound machines. So we went that same day, and ectopic was pretty much ruled out. I had a gestational sac in my uterus, but so far, it was empty. The OB said that wasn’t necessarily good or bad – that this was the earliest they would expect to see anything, and we’d just have to wait and see. My RE said the same thing, but did note that the sac was running small for where I was.

So after a terrible week in which I became completely convinced that this is a blighted ovum and I cried and eventually made peace with that, we went back at 6w5d. This time the RE saw a yolk sac within the gestational sac. Still no fetal pole. Both sacs measuring on time. I mentioned that I have a tilted uterus and my RE said that can impact how much she sees on the scan in early pregnancy. So, we have to go back on Monday, at 7w3d. I still fully expect that there won’t be a fetal pole, or if there is, there won’t be a heartbeat. I’m not sure what’s worse – how I felt in that intervening week when I was so sure it was a blighted ovum, or now having that tiny bit of hope and feeling like it’s going to feel so much worse on Monday if we get bad news.

This forum has been a tremendous source of comfort to me, and reading all your stories has made this process a little less lonely. Thanks. Any positive vibes you can send my way would be really appreciated.

Fatcheeks, that sounds like such a horrible rollercoaster.
Sending lots of positive vibes your way.

I started with a low beta (25) at 14dpiui. I know it’s not anywhere near as scary as what’s going on for you… but one of the nurses that would call with bloodwork results kept being so pessimistic… I went into my first ultrasound shaking. And left it still not knowing much, because the tech didn’t TELL me she found a heartbeat.

Today I’m choosing to believe they just can’t see things well because of your tilted uterus. I’m assuming that the results will get better and better.

Keep that in your heart - and if it doesn’t work out, it WILL happen again.

Lots of hugs.

Thanks, Poenym. Your words mean a lot. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is happy and healthy.

Good Luck, I’m Hoping For The Best!

Update

Unfortunately it didn’t work out for us. At the U/S yesterday, my RE found a fetal pole, but it was measuring well behind and there was no heartbeat. We went for a high resolution scan and a second opinion today and the OB confirmed my RE’s diagnosis - the pregnancy is not viable.

Obviously frustrating and sad. Thanks for your positive thoughts. I wish everyone luck with their coming cycles or pregnancies. Hopefully I’ll be joining you again in the near future.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I’m sorry to hear about the outcome of your u/s. Big hug! I hope to hear good news from you in the near future! Take care & don’t give up.[/SIZE][/FONT]

FatCheeks,

I completely understand how you feel. I’m so sorry for your bad news. In March, they could not find a fetal pole around 6w3days, but said don’t worry, let’s check again in a week. One week later ( I should have been 7w3d ) they saw a fetal pole and heartbeat but only measuring 6w2d! But 5 days later, I had heavy bleeding. Don’t let it get you down. Just know that there is a baby in your future!