Cycle Weirdness - Help! Anyone Experienced This?

Two periods in two weeks?! Are you kidding me, body?!

As my signature shows, I had my DD on 1/24/13. My first period after pregnancy started on 4/25. To my astonishment, my second period started yesterday, 5/9. That’s barely 15 days! Is this just my body trying to settle itself out after pregnancy? Or are my hormones and cycles totally out of whack? I’m on your typical low estrogen BCP that I started in early April. My first period on 4/25 was 10 days “early” based on when I started the first pack of BCP. I was very regular when I was on BCP before TTC, and while I figured it would take a bit to get my first period and for things to level out, I did NOT expect this BS.

(Additional info: I was not successful breastfeeding, tried pumping, and finally gave up about the 3 week mark. Within a couple of weeks after that my meager milk supply had dried up to nothing. While going through testing before I got my :bfp: we saw several cycles where my progesterone was very low - too low for me to have ovulated. We watched that very closely in the early weeks of pregnancy, but the levels seemed to be fine and I didn’t need any supplements.)

Given the time that it took us to conceive #1, we were hoping to start TTC #2 around my birthday (in September). I was going to watch my cycle carefully through the holidays and if we didn’t get another :bfp: we would skip the testing with my OB and go straight to an RE.

I just want to know if this is something that anyone else has experienced, and if so how long did it take for your cycles to normalize, if it did. I’m worried my body is really messed up now and what that might mean for having another child. My OB’s office is closed until Monday, but I do plan to call them.

It can take a while after you first get your period back for it to be like what it was before. Of course, some women also find that it changes somehow, but it sounds like what you’re experiencing is just the normal craziness of postpartum periods. Some women don’t get that, but a lot do. They might get one but it’s unusually light and then they don’t get another one for months, or like you, they get some really close together. I will say, though, that if you keep getting really close periods more than, like, one or two more times, I’d get checked out by your OB just to see what’s going on. If nothing else, that could be really annoying and disruptive. Especially if you’re not BFing, maybe even just going on birth control for a few months could help regulate things.

[QUOTE=kashiruvana]It can take a while after you first get your period back for it to be like what it was before. Of course, some women also find that it changes somehow, but it sounds like what you’re experiencing is just the normal craziness of postpartum periods. Some women don’t get that, but a lot do. They might get one but it’s unusually light and then they don’t get another one for months, or like you, they get some really close together. I will say, though, that if you keep getting really close periods more than, like, one or two more times, I’d get checked out by your OB just to see what’s going on. If nothing else, that could be really annoying and disruptive. Especially if you’re not BFing, maybe even just going on birth control for a few months could help regulate things.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I planned on some weirdness but this just seemed so extreme to me. Very annoying to be sure, but I’ll give it until my next exam. I’m due for the usual OB/GYN routine in July, and that will give me at least 1 if not 2 more cycles to see how it’s going.

Happy Mother’s Day!