Cycling in the snowy, winter months?

For my 1st IVF, I cycled during the second half of October last year. I live on the East Coast and had to contend with Hurricane Sandy the day of my ER. We decided to stay in a hotel near the clinic the night before since I was worried about driving up there (45 min via highway) that morning when the hurricane was approaching, since it’s such a timed event. Then we ended up staying the next night because highways were shutting down during my retrieval! So stressful! Now, if I had my retrieval the following day, my entire cycle would have been canceled because the clinic was forced to close by the state! (they were able to have embryologists, etc. on site, but no patients)

So… I’m about to start my 2nd IVF cycle this coming week and I should have my retrieval/transfer towards the end of the month. Prior to baseline, I will need to start Ganirelix 3-4 days before I expect my period. I technically should have started this once daily shot last night, but because of the blizzard I got freaked out that another weather situation could happen this cycle too and decided not to cycle this month and wait for March/Spring.

Today I began doubting my decision… I feel like I’m so ready to start IVF again and don’t want to put it off yet another month. I need to make my final decision tonight since there’s still time for me start my Ganirelix this evening.

I know none of us have a crystal ball and I need to make my own decision that I can live with, but I was wondering if anyone had any words of advice for me. Thank you :slight_smile:

Well, I decided to go forward with starting my cycle this month. :slight_smile: I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the weather won’t be an issue, but if so, we can stay at the hotel again.

I cycled in mid feb … I live in Pittsburgh and we had snowmagedan towards the end of my cycle 28 inches of snow over night … It was horrible the city was shut down for days luckily I only missed a few blood draws which probably led to my OHSS and we also stayed in a hotel from the day before retrieval to transfer I think you’ll e ok my dear good luck :slight_smile:

I think you should be fine. I live in western MA, and cycled in Boston in January and February (different years) with no problems. I just cycled this past January in Springfield so it was closer, but still not a problem. I wish you luck with your cycle. During the hurricane we were in ME for a job interview for my hubby and luckily the company put us up in the hotel an extra night

[QUOTE=holdingmybreath]I think you should be fine. I live in western MA, and cycled in Boston in January and February (different years) with no problems. I just cycled this past January in Springfield so it was closer, but still not a problem. I wish you luck with your cycle. During the hurricane we were in ME for a job interview for my hubby and luckily the company put us up in the hotel an extra night[/QUOTE]
I just noticed your signature holding, congratulations !!!:clap:

Thanks, it still seems surreal a couple of days ago i took another hpt just for reassurance. You’d think the morning sickness would be enough of a reassurance.

We live in North Carolina and it rarely snows. So, of course, there was an ice storm the day before our ER. We live about 30 minutes away from the doctor but because the appointment was at 7:15 a.m., we also did the hotel-thing the night before. It was actually kinda nice. The pup went to deluxe doggie resort for the night and we enjoyed a night at the new Hampton Inn. The only sucky thing was that I couldn’t eat breakfast that morning. :grr:

There was no stress the morning of the ER and all of the doctors and nurses were there on time!

Thanks, ladies!

Sorcet- Wow, that’s a ton of snow in one night! Glad you were able to relax in a hotel from transfer to retrieval…comfy and stress-free! Sorry to hear about your OHSS, though.

Holdingmybreath- Thanks. :slight_smile: So good to hear that you had no weather issues cycling in the winter months. Congrats on your :bfp:!!!

AppGirl82- Wow, an ice storm in NC! Great idea to stay in a hotel so you could have a stress-free ER. It definitely helped to relax me when we stayed in a hotel the evening before and after. That impending hurricane really stressed me out! I agree, not being about to have a delicious hotel b’fast the morning of ET really sucks! Thanks for sharing, it helps to know I’m not the only one dealing with weather and cycling. :slight_smile:

My11:11wish- A fellow Sandy-IVFer! :woohoo: Yes, I hear you about trying to keep those meds cold! It is definitely amazing what we all go through, weather-related or not. Thank you so much! Good luck to you on your cycle! :babydust::babydust::babydust: