Decreased Ovarian Reserve-starting IUI with Injectables

Hi,

After almost 7 years of TTC and diagnostic testing, I JUST got my diagnosis. I have Decreased Ovarian Reserve. I finally decided to do IUI and my doc ordered bloodwork to learn what my AMH levels are and mine turned out to be .95, which is very low for my age since I am still in my twenties. He said that I am less likely to get pregnant, may have poor quality eggs, be resistant to fertility meds and have a high chance of miscarriage.
I am supposed to begin IUI with injectable meds this cycle. I get all of the details on Tuesday, but I’m worried about the financial aspect. I found out that my insurance does cover most of the medications, but I would still need to spend a couple grand for IUI, which for me and my hubby is a lot. I applied for medical financing today and am stressing that I might not be approved. Does anyone know how likely you are to be approved? If I’m not, I don’t think my doctors office will do the procedure. From what I understand, they require the money up front rather than allowing any sort of payment plan. Is this common with fertility docs? This is my second doctor, but my first only did diagnostic tests.
Any advice on these matters is appreciated.

First of all, I’m so sorry this is happening to you. I don’t have a diagnosis of DOR, but I have a condition that generally leads to it and I’ve been worried about these numbers my whole life. It is a huge shock to the system to suddenly discover that your best fertility years are behind you, especially in your 20s!

I wouldn’t despair too much, yet. .95 might be a little low, but it certainly isn’t terrible. And from what I understand, this isn’t an indicator of quality so much as it is quantity…I’ve never heard of low AMH leading to miscarriage. For my clinic 1.0 is the cutoff (where they start to encourage more rapid/invasive methods), so you are right there. Please don’t stress about this too much, and remember it’s “just a number.” (My number is 1.3 and it was 6.7 three years ago…that made me freak out and we did jump to IVF sooner, but got pregnant on the first try. And my number isn’t that much higher than yours! I’m 34.)

You sound like you are in a similar boat to me. My meds are covered (which is HUGE…that is very rare and they are thousands of dollars a month, so YAY for having your meds covered!!), but the procedures themselves are not. For us, IUI cost $800 and IVF is around $8000. My doctor recommended we skip IUI and go straight to IVF. He said IUI would only increase our chances by a few % points, but IVF lets them control the situation much better. We did decide to do this, and I’m glad we did because it worked the first try. From what I understand, IUI is often used when male factor is an issue because it gets the sperm closer to the egg. If they really have major concerns about your eggs, I’m surprised they didn’t at least talk to you about IVF.

Is it possible for you to do a few cycles of medication and timed intercourse? Since your meds are covered, that may end up being FREE for you! That’s how we conceived our first child. Are your ultrasounds covered by insurance? Might be worth doing one or two tries of that…then you can see how your body responds to the medication and what’s going on in there before you jump to something more expensive. Injections are supposed to give you better quality eggs, and will ensure that you ovulate if you’ve had an issue in the past (that’s my problem). Just a thought.

I think you are correct about financing. We had to pay $8000 on the day of transfer for our IVF cycle. I know it’s different if you are approved for financing, but don’t know how strict they are. It does sound like your clinic is pretty typical. I sure hope it works out for you and whatever you choose is both successful and not too expensive!

Best wishes, and hang in there. This is a long, frustrating, and heartbreaking road, but for many of us, completely worth it. Hope you are on the “other side” of all of this soon!!

It’s unfortunate that all states don’t require 100% coverage. Unfortunately we had to pay for everything out of pocket. We bought 3 cycles of IVF because my husband has poor motility and low counts. I thought this was our best shot. I am glad that I made the decision to go straight to IVF. I had a feeling that I had DOR despite normal AMH and FSH. It appears that I was right because my first cycle I was cancelled for poor response, in other words probably DOR. If your husband is normal, go for the IUIs but I would not recommend it if he has abnormal parameters. You will waste a lot of money. It may be better to save for IVF.

IVF is too expensive for us. :frowning: Luckily, my husband’s tests all came back perfect, but that only makes me feel more guilty. I feel like I’m letting him down, as well as myself. I’ve been trying everything to raise money and I am soooo close! I couldn’t afford it this month, but I might next. I’ve been doing sales on my cover art, which helps a tiny bit. I finally reached out to some of the people I know and created a crowd funding profile. Some people have donated, which really gives me faith.
Aside from the obvious, there is something else that’s been worrying me. My husband doesn’t want his side of the family knowing that we are doing fertility treatments at all. It really bothers me. I’m not even allowed to tell most of my family because they might spill the beans. Is this normal? He’s been supportive in every other way, but he doesn’t want his family judging him over it. I somewhat get where he is coming from, but I had to defriend every family member on Facebook today to avoid them possibly learning anything. His Dad’s side of the family have never been supportive of anything and tend to be very judgy, but still. My husband is 29 years old, it’s not like it’s abnormal to want kids… Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

What do you do when people are positively caustic about the situation? Don’t they realize that my hubby and I are going through enough without people being jerks? Sorry for the venting.