DHEA users, please share your experience!

I would love to hear from anyone taking DHEA for their IVF cycles. I’ve been taking 75 mg of DHEA for 4 months now and will be starting my IVF cycle in July.

Fertility–I got my first natural pregnancy that didn’t stick after being on DHEA. Even though my pregnancy wasn’t viable, I wonder if DHEA was the reason for just getting pregnant (w/o IVF). A year and a half ago, I conceived my DD with IVF after being on DHEA for 3 months. I’d been trying for 2 years–was it the DHEA that did the trick?

Side effects–The longer I’m on DHEA, the worse the negative side effects. I’m breaking out around my neck, back and scalp and my hair is more greasy. The symptoms are really bad now and I wonder how much worse they will get :grr:

My questions:

Has the DHEA changed your IVF cycles or resulted in a BFP? What does your RE say about DHEA?

How long have you been on DHEA? What are your side effects? Does your RE say anything about how long you can be on DHEA?

Also, if you aren’t taking it and not taking it because your RE has said not to, I’d love to hear about that too!

Hi, I am so sorry for your loss! I think it is a positive sign that you got pregnant naturally so congrats on that!
I was 26 when I did IVF due to my DOR but I was being treated as if I was in my forties. After my first IVF I did research and decided to try DHEA too. I only was on it about a month but I was also having those side effects. I was asking my new RE about it and he told me to stop taking it immediately. DHEA is a form of male hormone (androgen) and he said that “too much androgen/DHEA can have the negative impact on egg quality. From an IVF standpoint, some studies have shown a modest improvement in number of eggs obtained in an IVF cycle with DHEA use; however, there is no difference in likelihood of pregnancy even with the modest improvement in the number of eggs obtained and many studies suggest worsening of embryo quality (again thought to be due to elevated androgen exposure).” So while you may get more eggs their quality suffers. I wasn’t going to take the chance so I did stop and after being treated for my nk cells as well I finally got my little girl :slight_smile:

Good luck to you!

I took DHEA for several months after my 3rd IVF. Personally I feel like it made a difference in number of eggs and quality of embryos. My first three cycles were flat out bfn’s, and the second three were ectopic (quite possibly a healthy albeit unlucky embryo), then a trisomy m/c, then my DS. So who knows. The only side effect I have is oily skin. When I did my first IVF I was diagnosed with DOR and only got 6 eggs, and 5 on the second. After taking DHEA for a few months I was getting 10 eggs… I would have expected to get less and less eggs as I got older, instead I got more.

I am trying for another child and started at a new clinic (RMA CT) because they offer CCS testing. They actually were happy I am taking DHEA and gave me a prescription to get a compounded form. For some reason I feel like the presciption version makes my skin less oily then the OTC.

DHEA may be something that helps some and not others. there need to be much larger studies to really know for sure.

Thanks for your replies! It’s really good to hear your different stance’s on DHEA. I’m still trying to figure out if its the right thing for me. I’ve seen a change in my cycles with DHEA like you, familyhopes, but I’m scared somehow in the long run, it may be doing mare harm than good (like you said, mammainwaiting).

@ivfjourney3 Here is a link that might help you.

http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/herbs-alternative-medicine/2020204624-dhea.html

[QUOTE=ivfjourney3]I would love to hear from anyone taking DHEA for their IVF cycles. I’ve been taking 75 mg of DHEA for 4 months now and will be starting my IVF cycle in July.

Fertility–I got my first natural pregnancy that didn’t stick after being on DHEA. Even though my pregnancy wasn’t viable, I wonder if DHEA was the reason for just getting pregnant (w/o IVF). A year and a half ago, I conceived my DD with IVF after being on DHEA for 3 months. I’d been trying for 2 years–was it the DHEA that did the trick?

Side effects–The longer I’m on DHEA, the worse the negative side effects. I’m breaking out around my neck, back and scalp and my hair is more greasy. The symptoms are really bad now and I wonder how much worse they will get :grr:

My questions:

Has the DHEA changed your IVF cycles or resulted in a BFP? What does your RE say about DHEA?

How long have you been on DHEA? What are your side effects? Does your RE say anything about how long you can be on DHEA?[/QUOTE]

I was on dhea for months, had absolutely no side effects. Do not take the stuff they sell in pharmacies over the counter or on Internet. Get a prescription and go to compound pharmacy. That’s the only way to get quality dhea.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=Zipper]@ivfjourney3 Here is a link that might help you.

http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/herbs-alternative-medicine/2020204624-dhea.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks Zipper! This is helpful. I have reduced my dosage to 50mg a day in hope my side effects won’t be so bad.