DHEA with Diminished Ovarian Reserve

Hello everyone, I was curious what everyone’s take on DHEA used with patients who have diminished ovarian reserve. I’ve gotten some mixed signals, with some physicians believing that DHEA should not be considered for women with DOR.

Opinions and experiences?

The REs I have talked to have all said not to use DHEA for DOR. I have heard great things about it though through people on this forum - esp to improve quality. but REs have been against it.

I literally just got back from Wholefoods and bought DHEA…i am hoping it will improve egg quality. i also sent an email to my Dr asking her about it but haven’t heard back yet.

[QUOTE=brrenda]I literally just got back from Wholefoods and bought DHEA…i am hoping it will improve egg quality. i also sent an email to my Dr asking her about it but haven’t heard back yet.[/QUOTE]

Well, I’ve read a lot about the biochemistry of DHEA but I’m getting a lot of mixed messages involving its use from REs. Really, the whole point of DHEA to begin with is to improve egg quality, but women who don’t have egg quality issues don’t really need it because they already have an abundance of high quality eggs. However, some RE’s think that it shouldn’t be used at all for women with diminished ovarian reserve because it could actually hurt their chances, even though its these particular patients who need it most.

As of yet, I haven’t actually heard any hard evidence, aka peer reviewed studies, that suggest that DHEA could further hurt the egg supply of women with low ovarian reserve.

I’m concerned, naturally, because my wife has diminished ovarian reserve and is on DHEA.

While I don’t know how DHEA would effect women with diagnosed DOR, I do know that it was the only thing different I have done for both of my successful cycles. I did take the DHEA for 3 months prior to the successfull cycle. I took one 25 mg pill three times a day. I suppose you could take a 75 mg time release capsul but they were more expensive. Anyway, in both instances, a greater number of eggs were retrieved with marked difference in egg quality. My first successful cycle with DHEA I even have two embryos make it to day six to freeze - my RE hadn’t even discussed freezing with me as he did not believe it would be an option. This most recent cycle, I got twins. It’s still very early but is a significant differance than the preceeding cycle which resulted in only 3 bad eggs.

Good luck. I’ve seen that your journey has been long already.

My RE suggested I start taking DHEA after 3 failed IUI cycles and on my 4th cycle I had success. He said the studies are a bit controversial, but that he’d seen success with it in his patients. I don’t know if that’s what helped me, but I did get BFP after taking it.

[QUOTE=EmmaL]While I don’t know how DHEA would effect women with diagnosed DOR, I do know that it was the only thing different I have done for both of my successful cycles. I did take the DHEA for 3 months prior to the successfull cycle. I took one 25 mg pill three times a day. I suppose you could take a 75 mg time release capsul but they were more expensive. Anyway, in both instances, a greater number of eggs were retrieved with marked difference in egg quality. My first successful cycle with DHEA I even have two embryos make it to day six to freeze - my RE hadn’t even discussed freezing with me as he did not believe it would be an option. This most recent cycle, I got twins. It’s still very early but is a significant differance than the preceeding cycle which resulted in only 3 bad eggs.

Good luck. I’ve seen that your journey has been long already.[/QUOTE]

Of course, this is the “fantasy” scenario for us: the the DHEA will change everything. I’m just not sure, though. As soon as my wife started taking it, her AMH tanked from 2.3 to 0.9. It could just be a coincidence, or perhaps DHEA influences different women in different ways.

Either way, what you’ve said is certainly encouragement!

[quote=Demian]Hello everyone, I was curious what everyone’s take on DHEA used with patients who have diminished ovarian reserve. I’ve gotten some mixed signals, with some physicians believing that DHEA should not be considered for women with DOR.

Opinions and experiences?[/quote]

It’s been tried for many years, and thus far the evidence (that I have seen) for a benefit is still weak. Needs a properly designed study.

I tried it with my 3rd attempt and the side effects were not worth it for me. I ended up decreasing the dose and didn’t see any improvement with that cycle. I decided not to try it with my current cycle