Diagnosed with hypothyroid and low AMH

Hi All,

After TTC for more than a year, when we consulted our doctor, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and low AMH. Husband’s SA was perfect. We have done 3 Ovulation induction cycles with clomid without any success. Now we have relocated to other city (Because of DH’s work) ,I am consulting a new RE. When we had the first consultation, after the ultrasound, she said I had very mild PCOS. I was very much shocked to hear that. My former RE never mentioned that and the new RE is saying that I do have the PCOS symptoms… I never had any problem with my periods. They are always on time. And I am not overweight also (BMI 21). I don’t have excess facial hair either.
My new RE wants me to get the laparoscopy to get rid of the PCOS. It’s really confusing.
So here are my doubts.

1. Can we get the PCOS at any stage?
  2. What is the treatment plan? Is surgery necessary? Is there any natural treatment?
  3. If the surgery is necessary, what is the recovery time?

Thanks in advance…

Regards
CyberHope

Hey there!
I am confused? Your doctor wants to do a laproscopy to get rid of the pcos? Polycystic ovarian syndrome is when your ovaries produce cysts. Usually to decrease the cysts you are put on BCP. Someone I know has it since she was sixteen and has been on bcp to control it as well as the severe pain. She recently had a laporoscopy to remove her ovary due to a large cyst from her pcos. So I guess I am a little confused unless there is one large cyst at which they are planning on reducing.
Has your RE put you on metformin yet? I do know the same person was put on clomid and metformin and got pregnant her second cycle.

Good luck wih everything… :babydust: headed your way!

Kalika,
Thanks for the reply…
I am also confused…There isn’t any cyst in ovary. I am planning to ask my RE to prescribe metformin. Because of my low AMH (0.4), RE wants to take drastic measures.
I am meeting her tomorrow. We will see what to do…

Regards
CyberHope

[QUOTE=Cyberhope]Hi All,

After TTC for more than a year, when we consulted our doctor, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and low AMH. Husband’s SA was perfect. We have done 3 Ovulation induction cycles with clomid without any success. Now we have relocated to other city (Because of DH’s work) ,I am consulting a new RE. When we had the first consultation, after the ultrasound, she said I had very mild PCOS. I was very much shocked to hear that. My former RE never mentioned that and the new RE is saying that I do have the PCOS symptoms… I never had any problem with my periods. They are always on time. And I am not overweight also (BMI 21). I don’t have excess facial hair either.
My new RE wants me to get the laparoscopy to get rid of the PCOS. It’s really confusing.
So here are my doubts.

1. Can we get the PCOS at any stage?
  2. What is the treatment plan? Is surgery necessary? Is there any natural treatment?
  3. If the surgery is necessary, what is the recovery time?

Thanks in advance…

Regards
CyberHope[/QUOTE]

I agree with the other response… you typically do not have surgery to “remove” pcos; unless maybe she wanted to perform ovarian drilling? But I’ve read that only lasts a few months. Plus, I thought the only way to confirm pcos was by bloodwork? I know they can probably see cysts on the ultrasound but I would think your RE would perform the CD3 bloodwork to check your hormone levels just to be sure. There is no cure for pcos but management and usually fertility meds. Also, you should get a glucose test done to make sure your sugar levels are good. If you do end up having laproscopic surgery for any reason, the recovery time is very minimal. I had laproscopic surgery to make sure I didn’t have endometriosis. The worst part of the surgery was my throat hurting from the tube they inserted.

Wishing you the best of luck!! :grouphug:

Hi All,
New Update…
I had a consultation with my RE on Saturday. When I asked about the PCOS, she just said she will prescribe some medicine. But she wants me to have diagnostic laparoscopy for further process. From first consultation, she is advising me to get laparoscopy. I so much worried.

Just have few doubts.

1. My LH to FSH ratio is very low (0.3). If I have PCOS, shouldn’t the ratio more? (>1)
  2. My random glucose level is normal. Does that mean I am not insulin resistant?

Thanks in Advance
CyberHope

[QUOTE=Cyberhope]Hi All,
New Update…
I had a consultation with my RE on Saturday. When I asked about the PCOS, she just said she will prescribe some medicine. But she wants me to have diagnostic laparoscopy for further process. From first consultation, she is advising me to get laparoscopy. I so much worried.

Just have few doubts.

1. My LH to FSH ratio is very low (0.3). If I have PCOS, shouldn’t the ratio more? (>1)
  2. My random glucose level is normal. Does that mean I am not insulin resistant?

Thanks in Advance
CyberHope[/QUOTE]

I can’t remember what my LH to FSH levels were so hopefully someone else could answer for you. A random glucose level- does that mean just standard bloodwork? Or did you go thru the 2 hr glucose test where you fast and in the morning you drink a very sugary drink and then take bloodwork after the 2 hr waiting period? The glucose test is the best way to tell how your body processes sugar and if you are insulin resistant or not. With that said, I was diagnosed with pcos through the CD3 bloodwork and my male hormone was elevated; which gave me the diagnosis. Before I went to treatment I lost about 20lbs… So when I had my glucose test my sugar was normal; not even borderline. So it is possible to have pcos without sugar issues. I hope that helps

Wishing you luck!! :grouphug:

[QUOTE=Cyberhope;n2349064]Hi All,
New Update…

Just have few doubts.

Thanks in Advance
CyberHope[/QUOTE]

1. Maybe
  2. yes