Did you have a boy or a girl with an IUI?

I’m just wondering the odds with an iui so if you would like to share what gender you got with each iui please do so :slight_smile: thanks

one of each:cheer:

I’m guessing they’re still 50/50

I was watching a show on tv that said IUIs tend to favor boys. I have no knowledge to back that up with, and I really don’t know why it wouldn’t be 50/50.

I had a boy.

Hoping for a girl next time:pray:

I’ve never been pregnant from an IUI, but two of my friends have - 1) boy and 2) boy/girl twins. :slight_smile:

I also heard that IUI’s favor boys because after the sperm is washed there are more boys since they are stronger and last longer! Not sure how accurate that is though

IUI favors boy due to the spinning

We got triplets, but never got to find out the gender of the 2 that we lost early on’s gender. But 1 of the 3 was a boy.

We had a boy!:cheer:

The crappy RE I saw back in Sept told me that IUI’s favor boys. But he didn’t give me any reasoning. I thought he just said that to make me upset. b/c he had asked if I preferred a boy or girl. I told him that I just wanted a healthy baby, but he said “If you had to choose, which would it be?” I said probably a girl, and that is when he told me about the IUI’s favoring boys.

SilvereLyning- Man that RE really did sound bad! Sorry bout that.

When “washing” sperm (as most patients opt to do-but not all) they are spun. Literally. Imagine a washing machine in the spin cycle. Centrifugal force naturally pushes the heavier/fatter/bigger “girl” swimmers to the outside.
Hence, your washed sample may contain a higher amount of boy swimmers.

With my first IUI I had a boy. With this pregnancy I don’t know yet.

Don’t quote me on this one, but I do believe it’s true that IUI’s favor boys. I believe it has something to do with not having to fight their way through the cerivical mucous, which is supposedly where the boy sperm run into trouble. I think the boy sperms are the ones that are weaker but faster, which is why they have trouble getting through cervical mucous, and if you skip that part and put them right into the uterus, then they have retained their energy and their speed and beat out the girl sperm (the stronger but slower sperm) to the egg. Bottom line, skipping the cervical mucous favors the boy sperm. Hope that makes sense.

Babydust to all!!!

This is an interesting conversation! I had no idea the spinning had anything to do with it…funny…

We had a girl the first time, but we used gender sorted sperm for a girl. We don’t know yet what this one will be and we’re not finding out til birth, but I had a boy hunch since the pregnancy is so different this time. We didn’t use gender sorted this time…we’ll see…

[quote=infertilitynovice]This is an interesting conversation! I had no idea the spinning had anything to do with it…funny…

We had a girl the first time, but we used gender sorted sperm for a girl. We don’t know yet what this one will be and we’re not finding out til birth, but I had a boy hunch since the pregnancy is so different this time. We didn’t use gender sorted this time…we’ll see…[/quote]

Thats awesome that girl spinning worked for you I heard its alot harder to spin for a girl. I didnt have a preferrence so whatever we get will be fine with me!! =) I am not finding out till birth this time neither =)

My first child was boy but he was all natural creation lol =)

I had a boy with IUI.

Interesting. My doctor told me that her office has more girls with the IUI so maybe it is how they wash the sperm or something?

This is what I was told. That male sperm swims faster, so IUI would be ideal because the best swimmers have to get to the egg. Which is why male babies are born. Girl sperm is able to withstand the more harsh treatment for IVF, which is why more girls are born during IVF. I don’t know if that is true. One thing I will say, is that as soon as I knew I was pregnant, I felt it was going to be a boy.