Didn't make it to day 5 transfer?

I am not sure if I am looking for reassurance or reality or what, but I wanted to post the following question for feedback! :slight_smile:

If you were planning a 5 day transfer and didn’t make it (i.e. didn’t end up with anything to transfer) what were the circumstances?

We are planning a 5 day transfer for this Wednesday. I get my day 3 report today. I am so afraid that we won’t have anything on day 5 even if I get great news today which I am preparing myself to not get good news. We had 11 eggs retrieved, 6 mature and all 6 fertilized with ICSI.

So here are my questions:

1. How many eggs did you have retrieved?
  2. How many fertilized?
  3. What did your day 3 report look like?
  4. What did your RE attribute the lack of blasts to?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. While I realize everyone is different I am just curious about the above. Thanks!

1. 16 retrieved

2. 13 fertilized via icsi

3. @3 day- all 13 still growing

4. I ended up transferring 2 blast with 5 frosties= so 7 blasts at 5 day.

From what I have read, the lack of blast could be due to 1. quality of eggs or 2. the embryologist and lab do not have a lot of experience with growing blasts in the correct medium and conditions. When choosing a clinic, the RE is important but the embryologist and lab are equally important if not more.

I wish you luck.

Did you already get your day 3 report?? If not, I hope it goes well. We never had the option to go to day 5. My RE only allows you to go to day 5 if you have 8 or more embryos growing on day 2. Since we never had many, we always transferred on day 3. But just because you don’t have a lot does not mean you won’t get pregnant. We never had but a few embryos and got pregnant twice. We ended up miscarrying on both of these cycles, but that did not have anything to do with how many embryos we had.

Good luck to you!!! Sorry I did not really answer your questions.

This is so interesting - yet another part of this whole IVF mystery that seems to vary WILDLY from clinic to clinic.

We met with the embryologist during our consultation at our new clinic, and she told us that if we had more than 3 good embryos at day three they would wait to do a day 5 transfer. I specifically asked her how often they ended up with nothing to transfer with that policy, and she firmly said “Never”. I found that pretty comforting - I was a little nervous about having them all arrest between day 3 and 5 and ending up with nothing.

Pinkandstrong - it sounds like you are doing awesome so far with 6 fertilized - I think it would be completely reasonable to ask when you get the call today to ask the embryologist if they ever end up with nothing to transfer if they push it out to day 5. Hoping that you get a great report today and a BFP in 2 weeks!

Brit: I did get my day 3 report. I thought I posted it on here but I don’t see that post.

8 cell grade 2. GES 95
7 cell grade 2. GES 65
6 cell grade 2 GES 45
6 cell grade 2 GES 20

The GES score is SIRM’s Graduated Embryo Score. They want 70 or above. 70 or above have a 40% chance of implantation all others around 20% if I remember correctly.

I actually did email my coordinator and ask how often patients don’t end up with anything to transfer and she said “you will have something to transfer.”

Yogaandshoes: I would think if your RE said no one ever ends up with nothing on day 5 that they are only letting patients that have excellent day 3 embryos go to day 5 and that maybe they aren’t dealing with older patients or DOR patients. You are right this topic and the differences from one RE to another is very I interesting.

So today is our day 5. Our clinic is four hours away so we just got up and left first thing this morning. They don’t check the embryos on day 4 and we couldn’t wait to leave until they checked them this morning. So we are on the road praying without ceasing! I will let you know what we end up with.

we are all rooting for you pink!!! Let us know how it goes!

Good luck today!! It sounds like you have two that are very good quality. Atleast your RE gives you a detailed report, ours only told us how many cells each had.

Yoga- If your clinic said they “never” don’t make it to transfer, I would have to wonder if I trust them. Either they are exagerating or they are really picky about who they choose to treat and who they let go to day 5. Either way, good luck to you!!!

Good luck!!

Pink - thinking of you today. Fingers crossed that all is well today. Please update us on how things go.

Saying prayers for you pink! We had 16 eggs, 13 fertilized with ICSI, 2 perfect 8 cells transferred, 10 made it through freezing. Not sure about the 5 day thing. We did it earlier and I’ve had many :bfp: . Get beta tomorrow so we shall see.

Can’t wait to hear how it went!

For my IVF cycle using my own eggs I had two eggs retrieved and one fertilized. My RE at that time doesn’t believe in transferring 3-day embies, his line of philosophy being that if they don’t survive in the lab then they aren’t going to make it if they’re transferred anyway. My one embryo arrested on day 3 and I didn’t have anything to transfer. It was then that we started really considering using donor eggs. I was pretty unhappy with that whole IVF cycle and especially unhappy with the fact that he chooses not to transfer 3-day embies but offers no reimbursement or credit if no transfer is performed, so I wasn’t heartbroken when I had to change RE’s for third party reproduction.

Hope your 5-day report is outstanding! It certainly sounds like your chances of transfer are far greater than mine for my first cycle.

[quote=yogaandshoes]This is so interesting - yet another part of this whole IVF mystery that seems to vary WILDLY from clinic to clinic.

We met with the embryologist during our consultation at our new clinic, and she told us that if we had more than 3 good embryos at day three they would wait to do a day 5 transfer. I specifically asked her how often they ended up with nothing to transfer with that policy, and she firmly said “Never”. I found that pretty comforting - I was a little nervous about having them all arrest between day 3 and 5 and ending up with nothing.

Pinkandstrong - it sounds like you are doing awesome so far with 6 fertilized - I think it would be completely reasonable to ask when you get the call today to ask the embryologist if they ever end up with nothing to transfer if they push it out to day 5. Hoping that you get a great report today and a BFP in 2 weeks![/quote]I am really surprised your embryologist told you that. Maybe it is true that she has never seen it, but that would mean she is inexperienced and/or very lucky. Typically 35-40% of good quality 3-day embryos make it to the blastocyst stage. That means that if you have three embryos on day 3 and you are average, you will only have one on day 5. If you are less lucky than average, you will have none. It cannot be that uncommon. For some reason, my embryos do not develop well after day 3 - I have only averaged about 20% making it to day 5. I am sure that in my case, there would be no question that we would transfer all three on day 3, as there is a real risk that we would have nothing to transfer on day 5.

That said, I did a lot of reading on this subject, and I did find the advocates of day 5 transfers to be pretty convincing. One example, for anyone interested: IVF Authority: Blastocyst vs. Early Embryo Transfer: Pros and Cons

Pinkandstrong - Hope things went great today!

It’s not uncommon.

Hope all went well for you today!

Thanks Brit! Unfortunately literally as we entered the city (after our 4 hour drive) they called and told me we had nothing to transfer. :(. The nurse said none of the embryos had “changed since day 3.”. But she kept referring to my 2 6 cell embryos. So I asked about my 8 and 7 cells and she said they hadn’t changed either. BUT they would recheck them tomorrow morning for a possible day 6 transfer. I was upset of course so I didn’t ask anything else. My DH and I got lunch and talked about next steps (I.e. Donor eggs, adoption, another cycle or nothing). I commented to my DH that I find it odd that just ALL of them died on day 3??? Especially my 8 cell with the 95 GES.

On the SIRM board someone asked me if they me mentioned a day 6 transfer. So I searched the board and found stories of other woman who were told their embryos hadn’t changed and then on day 6 they called to transfer!!!

So my DH and I were talking and he wonders if I misinterpreted what the nurse said. He thinks maybe she could have meant they hadn’t changed enough or to the blast stage? Whereas I took it that they arrested, but if they had arrested why recheck?

I am not holding my breathe or anything, but she also didn’t say she was sorry or anything either. Who knows!!!

[QUOTE=Pinkandstrong]Thanks Brit! Unfortunately literally as we entered the city (after our 4 hour drive) they called and told me we had nothing to transfer. :(. The nurse said none of the embryos had “changed since day 3.”. But she kept referring to my 2 6 cell embryos. So I asked about my 8 and 7 cells and she said they hadn’t changed either. BUT they would recheck them tomorrow morning for a possible day 6 transfer. I was upset of course so I didn’t ask anything else. My DH and I got lunch and talked about next steps (I.e. Donor eggs, adoption, another cycle or nothing). I commented to my DH that I find it odd that just ALL of them died on day 3??? Especially my 8 cell with the 95 GES.

On the SIRM board someone asked me if they me mentioned a day 6 transfer. So I searched the board and found stories of other woman who were told their embryos hadn’t changed and then on day 6 they called to transfer!!!

So my DH and I were talking and he wonders if I misinterpreted what the nurse said. He thinks maybe she could have meant they hadn’t changed enough or to the blast stage? Whereas I took it that they arrested, but if they had arrested why recheck?

I am not holding my breathe or anything, but she also didn’t say she was sorry or anything either. Who knows!!![/QUOTE]

I am so sorry. Maybe it is time to think of another clinic for you. My RE plans for a 3 day transfer if you don’t have enough embryos to chance on a 5 day. Their theory is it is better to transfer something and hope for the best vs. transfer nothing. Hugs.

Did you go to SIRM Las Vegas? If so who was the RE Fisch or Sher?

Pink, so sorry to hear this news. You are I have talked about how similar we are and unfortunatley, this is the problem I have as well. :frowning:
As you know, I made the decision to go to DE becuase the writing was on the wall for me. For whatever reason, my eggs just don’t advance to the blast stage. One RE thinks age, the other thinks poor quality eggs. Whatever, I don’t really care why, I just want the fix! LOL!

My manta these days is that everyone has a different journey to get to motherhood - for some of us it’s more difficult than others. But we will get there. I know it.

Have you thought about what your next steps will be?
Hugs to you.

Kibble&Carrotts: I completely trust my current RE. He highly recommends a day 5 transfer but gave me the option of doing day 3. I do not question the day 5. If I had my two good embryos transferred on day 3 I truly do not believe they would have progressed in differently in my body.

b&a72: I go to SIRM St. Louis with Dr. Ahlering

Coastal: Yep it stinks! I have my follow up scheduled for December. Next steps…we might consider doing another cycle, but I am really worn out. We have actively been trying for 5 years now and I have a son and it just might be time to move on! I feel completely different after this failed IVF. After the first one I was angry and defiant that I would not give up. This time I feel like we have given this the best shots we can. My gosh 5 years, several medicated trying on our own cycles, 5 medicated IUIs and now 2 IVF’s. It is not like we haven’t done almost everything possible. At some point I have to accept our family as it is and move on with life and just live life and not be striving for something else.

So my day 6 embryology report lists the embryos as dead, cleaved, expanded or compacted. I emailed my RE to please explain all these to me in greater detail. The nurse couldn’t explain it and didn’t know if any of them were morulas or not.

[quote=Pinkandstrong]Kibble&Carrotts: I completely trust my current RE. He highly recommends a day 5 transfer but gave me the option of doing day 3. I do not question the day 5. If I had my two good embryos transferred on day 3 I truly do not believe they would have progressed in differently in my body.

b&a72: I go to SIRM St. Louis with Dr. Ahlering

Coastal: Yep it stinks! I have my follow up scheduled for December. Next steps…we might consider doing another cycle, but I am really worn out. We have actively been trying for 5 years now and I have a son and it just might be time to move on! I feel completely different after this failed IVF. After the first one I was angry and defiant that I would not give up. This time I feel like we have given this the best shots we can. My gosh 5 years, several medicated trying on our own cycles, 5 medicated IUIs and now 2 IVF’s. It is not like we haven’t done almost everything possible. At some point I have to accept our family as it is and move on with life and just live life and not be striving for something else.

So my day 6 embryology report lists the embryos as dead, cleaved, expanded or compacted. I emailed my RE to please explain all these to me in greater detail. The nurse couldn’t explain it and didn’t know if any of them were morulas or not.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I have been thinking alot about accepting my family the way it is and moving on myself. I am sure it is still sad though - it feels sad to me. :grouphug:

I didn’t think anything other than a blast was labeled expanded and compacting is the stage before morula I think??

have you checked the advanced fertility website?