Differences in meds?

who can explain the difference betweenthese meds?femara, repronex, follistim, gonaf??

I would love to know the answer to that myself. I have heard that Follistim & Gonal-F seems the drugs of choice for most doctors. They are “supposed” to be more cost effective. But they all have simular side effects and the way the work. At least this is what I have been told. So I’m seeking clarity as well.

I’m not a doctor and this is just my understanding of this stuff and could be totally wrong.

Femara is an estrogen blocker, so it tricks the body into thinking it’s at a different point in the cycle than it is and so it grows follicles. Repronex contains both FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and LH (luteinizing hormone), the FSH works directly on the follicles to make them grow and the LH makes the follicles mature. Follistim and Gonal-F are just FSH, again working directly on the follicles to make them grow.

EDIT: I just looked up Femara and I’m a bit off there – but the basic idea seems fairly close. :slight_smile:

I just found this run down on the medications. I hope it is helpful.

[B]Human Menopausal Gonadotropin (hMG)[/B], such as Menopur®, is often used to stimulate ovulation in women who don’t ovulate due to problems with their pituitary gland, as well as ovary stimulation for IUI or IVF treatment.
[B]Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)[/B] - such as Follistim®, Bravelle®, and Gonal-F® – works much like hMG. It causes the ovaries to begin the process of ovulation, or enhances this process for ovulation induction.
[B]Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)[/B], with brand names such as Pregnyl®, Novarel®, and Ovidrel®, are usually used with other fertility drugs to trigger ovulation.
[B]Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Agonist (GnRH agonist[/B]), such as Lupron®, regulates the secretion of luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). It initially has a stimulating effect on the ovaries and can be used to “flare” the ovarian response. If given in a long protocol it suppresses the ovaries, and helps coordinate the follicles for stimulation. Later in the cycle, it helps prevent premature LH surges, and the follicles maintain their healthy state until HCG trigger is given.
[B]Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Antagonist (GnRH antagonist)[/B], such as Antagon®, Ganirelix®, and Cetrotide®, is used to control ovulation by blocking the action of GnRH upon the pituitary, thus suppressing the production and action of LH. This is an alternative way to keep the follicles healthy in preparation for IUI or IVF.
[B]Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone (Gn-RH)[/B], such as Factrel® and Lutrepulse®, stimulates the release of follicle stimulation hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) from the pituitary gland, and is rarely prescribed.
All these drugs are given by injection in varying doses depending on how they are being used. Injectable hormones have a high rate of success in stimulating women to ovulate.
Side effects include infection, swelling, or bruising at the injection site. Headaches, irritability, breast tenderness and a number of other less common side effects may occur. There is also a risk of ovarian hyperstimulation, when the ovaries become enlarged and tender. Ovulation-stimulating drugs also increase the chances of multiple pregnancy, which can raise health risks for both mother and child. Women who are pregnant with multiple fetuses have more problems during pregnancy and delivery. Multiple fetuses have a high risk of being born too early (prematurely). Premature babies are at a higher risk of health and developmental problems.