DNA fragmentation

Does anyone know the difference in a DNA fragmentation and DNA damage test?

Does anyone know the cost of a DNA fragmentation test?

I’m not sure what the differences are between the DNA fragmentation test and damage. My DH did a SDI/Halo test in January. It was $380. My DH’s results returned borderline at 27% fragmentation. As a result, we used a PICSI dish for most recent IVF cycle. DH also took Coast science vitamins, he didn’t drink, only exercised moderately, ate better and we had 7 consecutive days of intercourse stopping 2 days prior to our last ER. We had excellent embryos despite the fact my body evidently doesn’t want to be pregnant. I thought I would share.

[QUOTE=houston]Does anyone know the difference in a DNA fragmentation and DNA damage test?

Does anyone know the cost of a DNA fragmentation test?[/QUOTE]
I don’t know the difference. My DH did the DNA Fragmentation. We had it done through SCSA Diagnostics & it was $450. (I think??)

Thank you so much for all the information. Do you by any chance know the normal fragmentation rates? I have always worried about my own issues so much I haven’t really paid attention to sperm issues. We are looking at it know b/c I am thinking about moving on to DE.

Thanks for the info. I sure hope I can get it cheaper! I doubt it, though. I called my doctor to see if he will tell me the difference in the two test. The DNA damage test seems to be cheaper ($150).

I teach biology, and from the sounds of it, DNA fragmentation is a [I]kind[/I]of DNA damage. As it pertains to sperm quality, when sperm DNA fragments, all of the base pairs (or letters) are still intact but some of the structural proteins that maintain a DNA molecule’s shape erode. Because of this, the mechanisms that would read the DNA’s “story” can have a high error rate. It is kind of like trying to read a book where the spine has fallen apart and you have a hard time reading the book, thus you might skip a page, read the same page by twice on accident, etc.

DNA damage sounds like a more general term that could refer to damage to the actual letters, so perhaps its a testing that is looking for mutations?

I guess there’s one big important question I forgot to ask. Are both of these tests examining sperm or is one of them examining a person’s?

[quote=Demian]I teach biology, and from the sounds of it, DNA fragmentation is a [I]kind[/I]of DNA damage. As it pertains to sperm quality, when sperm DNA fragments, all of the base pairs (or letters) are still intact but some of the structural proteins that maintain a DNA molecule’s shape erode. Because of this, the mechanisms that would read the DNA’s “story” can have a high error rate. It is kind of like trying to read a book where the spine has fallen apart and you have a hard time reading the book, thus you might skip a page, read the same page by twice on accident, etc.

DNA damage sounds like a more general term that could refer to damage to the actual letters, so perhaps its a testing that is looking for mutations?

I guess there’s one big important question I forgot to ask. Are both of these tests examining sperm or is one of them examining a person’s?[/quote]

Thanks. They are both examining sperm.

These terms are referring to the same thing in the context of infertility. There are different types of assays used to assess sperm DNA fragmentation - different companies offer distinct assays as others have posted. I found this link with some helpful explanation (biased to their test, though, I have no idea which is really best):

Fertility Clinic: Testing for Sperm DNA Fragmentation: SCSA Test

Good luck with your decision and next pregnancy!

[quote=Bethany541]These terms are referring to the same thing in the context of infertility. There are different types of assays used to assess sperm DNA fragmentation - different companies offer distinct assays as others have posted. I found this link with some helpful explanation (biased to their test, though, I have no idea which is really best):

Fertility Clinic: Testing for Sperm DNA Fragmentation: SCSA Test

Good luck with your decision and next pregnancy![/quote]

Thank you! The article was really helpful.