Do we terminate pregnancy after all we will go through?

I just found out i have an extra chromosone (xyy). There is a chance that i could pass this extra chromosone on to the child; and have an xyy child which isn’t so severe, or also a xxy child which is special needs. unfortunaly natural selection of weeding out the bad sperm doesnt play a factor cuz we have to go ivf. so a spem that might not make it to an egg naturally will get injected into an egg. now we could proceed with my sperm pay the 15,000$ it will cost us; but at the 2 month mark in the pregnancy we would take a genetics test of the baby and if the baby is xxy - and here is the kicker- maybe have to chose to terminate the pregnancy. is it worth it to go through all this for the chance at a healthy child of our own or should we just use a doner. me and my wife are at odds on the sensitive issues we must face. please send us any comments to help us?

Have you thought about CCS testing at CCRM? I think they would be able to figure out the chromosomal makeup of the embryos prior to implantation. Maybe you could do a phone consult with one of their docs and ask them. Depending on what state you live in, the consult may be free.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but there is hope!!!

CCS or PGD testing can identify the embryos with the extra chromosome prior to implantation. I believe there is a PGD/ FET thread here. You should check it out.

There are a lot of clinics throughout the world that offer PGD or CCS testing (as the previous poster said CCRM is one of the big ones). Also there are genetic labs that will test your embyros no matter what clinic you are doing IVF with.

This is one of the pioneers: Genesis Genetics | Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) | Home

Wishing you much luck on your IVF journey. It is a bumpy ride but worth it.

You should REALLY look into CCS/PGD testing. My husband and I carry CF mutations, which means we have a 25% chance of having a baby affected with cystic fibrosis. We went into IVF specifically for the PGD. If you have any questions, you can check out the thread called er, pgd, fet girls on this site. It is SOOOO helpful. It sounds as if you carry a balance translocation? There a few girls with the same problem on that thread.

I agree with the other ladies. You should look into PGD. It could solve the issue of finding out into a pregnancy; sorry to hear you are having to go through all these issues. Infertility is hard enough on it’s own. Good luck to you!