Does anyone truly know the success rate of iui?

does anyone truly know the success rate of iui? is it any better than just having sex?

Timed intercourse is 20% for a normal healthy couple with NO infertility issues. IUI’s success depends on a lot of factors. For us since male factor is our only issue, i’ve been told our success is anywhere from 20-25%. My new RE told me we’re on the higher end of 25%. But every RE will have a different opinion.

But one thing to know is… if you have a nice follie or more than 1 and a normal sperm count with a well timed IUI. You’ve got a chance of a BFP.

Goodluck!

I don’t think there are any real stats on it because everyone uses it for different reasons and there are so many variables. The chances of a well timed IUI with two perfectly healthy and fertile people compared to the same situation with a low sperm count or PCOS or endo would have totally different chances. The difference between and IUi and regular sex is the sample is washed of seminal fluid, which some women’s bodies don’t like and it is placed directly into the uterus so the swimmers don’t have to travel as far. Also the vagina and cervix are not nice to sperm so the IUi gives them a major advantage that they wouldn’t otherwise have. So the circumstances will determine your chances of success. I’d definitely say it has a better chance than sex alone though simple because the sperm are closer with less obstacles. That only makes sense.

I had a phone consultation with an RE (who is apparently very reputable) and he said IUI’s dont increase chances that much. He said that if a women’s chance of getting pregnant through TI is x% then an IUI only increases the chance by 1%. For example 20% with TI and then 21% with IUI. I really don’t know if I agree with his logic for the reasons Amirasmommy and everyone else has pointed out, but I just thought I would add this information.

I find it odd that a person would become an RE and not have any faith in IUI’s. I’m wondering if this RE would be one of those that pushes for IVF right away.

We were ttc for 9 1/2 years with NO bfp’s. We got a bfp on our second IUI with major MFI. I definitely think it goes up with IUI/meds.

[QUOTE=amwyatt3]I had a phone consultation with an RE (who is apparently very reputable) and he said IUI’s dont increase chances that much. He said that if a women’s chance of getting pregnant through TI is x% then an IUI only increases the chance by 1%. For example 20% with TI and then 21% with IUI. I really don’t know if I agree with his logic for the reasons Amirasmommy and everyone else has pointed out, but I just thought I would add this information.[/QUOTE]

Leesh- I think you are absolutely correct about the RE. In our conversation he either talked about just doing TI or IVF. He seemed to ignore the fact that I’ve had two successful IUIs in the past. I just thought i would share my experience to see if anyone has heard something similar.

By that RE’s logic, I have a 1% chance of BFP with IUI since our chances with TI are 0%!! I’m only kidding, but this goes to show you really do have to factor individual situations into play. I’ve always been told that IUI gives you a slight edge over a fertile couple having TI…so I think that’s what the RE was saying, but it’s definitely not something that will apply to all.

I guess it’s all kind of relative. For some, IUI will increase your chances a lot (like in my case where it actually gives us a chance to get pregnant), but for others, the advantage is only slight. It just depends on the issues you’re dealing with. I do think though that the elimination of obstacles and the ability to time IUIs very accurately gives them at least a slight edge over TI for everyone for whom IUI is an option.

I was told by my RE that IUI would increase the chances of a BFP by 15%, ie in addition to whatever your success rate would be with TI; this of course is assuming that there are no other major factors involved.

This question could not have come at a better time. . .I just calculated when I will likely have an IUI and it would be on Thanksgiving or Black Friday- not good days for me. So now we are debating if we want to do an IUI or just TI.

My RE who only does iui and TI at his practice stated that my chances were just as good with Ti (we have no male factor) then they were with iui. He will do which I ever I choose per cycle, although this cycle he wouldn’t do iui due to 6 folicles as he stated the chance of multiples was higher with iui. I guess there really are no concrete stats.