Dominant follie


#1

Has anyone had a positive experience with a dominant follicle with low AMH? I went in today for my first u/s and I had 5- 18.5, 11, 8, 7, and 4. I’m wondering if anyone has had success with 1-2 of the other follies catching up? I know a lot of times they convert to IUI but we don’t have that option. Additionally, last IVF (same protocol) we only had 4 eggs so we aren’t one of those people who are expecting a lot. Tuesday we are having our next u/s and I need to be prepared with if we want to continue or not! Sigh.


#2

I don’t really have an answer for you, but wanted to let you know that I am pulling for you!
:pray: with you they catch up and you have plenty to continue. :cross:


#3

Thank you! I was devastated yesterday but have been able to search the site for old posts that some people were still able to continue the cycle. We’ll see on Tuesday!! :pray:


#4

Well I have low AMH and a dominant follie maker.
As you can see from my siggy - my first protocol was a antganoist protocol - I did have two that were in the lead always - but two others did catch up in the end and we retived 4 eggs.
My dec IVF cycle - I had one in the lead and two otherws were tooo small so we converted to IUI.
When I had my retrival in Feb - we did a micro dose lupron - which I think I had a better response since most of the follies were kind of growing together. I was on BCPs for 3 week also which is usually not recommended for low AMH but its good for suppressing the follies and making them grow together.
I would say the micro dose lupron worked best for me and am doing it again this month -s o hope to get a few more eggs.

It is a tough situation to be in. Really hope the smaller ones catch up in ur next apt. What protocol are you on?


#5

My first IVF try (Feb 13) I had a dominant follicle. My RE gave me the option to convert to IUI or transition straight into next cycle; said if we transition to next cycle, then I have a higher chance for better quality. So we transitioned to next cycle and I am going to ER this week (still waiting to hear Wed or Thurs, but expect Thurs); we are looking at ~8 good follicles – great for me since I have low reserves.

I really struggled with the decision to convert or transition… it is not easy. I am glad we went straight to the next cycle, but know that if it happened again (got another dominant follie), I would convert to IUI. Once is okay but wouldn’t wait another… You need to talk to your DH and RE, heart to heart, and decide what is best for you. I wish you the best and look forward to hearing positive news!


#6

Suma: I’m on the micro dose lupron flare as well. I was able to get 4 eggs my first round of IVF but had a sperm quality issue so none fertilized. We knew that I would be getting 4 or less this round with the same protocol but the RE was thinking this would be our best chance.

Oldhosslady: good to know that it can roll back to back like that. We can’t do IUI so it’s cancel or go but I guess tomorrow we will find out what my body is doing plus what the RE thinks.

Do either of you know the estimated min size of a follicle to possibly get a mature egg?


#7

I was told that anything over 17mm for IVF is considered mature…

[quote=AnastasiaC]Suma: I’m on the micro dose lupron flare as well. I was able to get 4 eggs my first round of IVF but had a sperm quality issue so none fertilized. We knew that I would be getting 4 or less this round with the same protocol but the RE was thinking this would be our best chance.

Oldhosslady: good to know that it can roll back to back like that. We can’t do IUI so it’s cancel or go but I guess tomorrow we will find out what my body is doing plus what the RE thinks.

Do either of you know the estimated min size of a follicle to possibly get a mature egg?[/quote]


#8

I was told anything over 15mm/16mm is great. I think I got an egg from a 14 mm last time as well. So it depends - but they like to see 17mm/18mm and over but under 22mm.


#9

Thanks! So appointment went better then expected this morning. We are waiting on my blood work this afternoon to determine whether we can stim for another day then trigger. My biggest was only 19.5 while the other caught up a little being 15 and the rest ranging from 10-14. RE wants to have another day and thinks as long as my progesterone is looking good we could at least get 2, maybe 3 mature eggs with egg retrieval on Friday. She’s not too confident with my past results and hormone levels that if I wait to do another cycle that I’ll get much better results. Still playing the waiting game…


#10

Sounds like there should be 3 good looking follies! And maybe even more. Esp if there are a few more that are 14. With one more day of stim they will grow to 16mm and another day b/w trigger and retrival!


#11

Thought I would post an update since there may be someone who searches for a topic similar to mine and wants to know how it turned out. I went into ER with two great looking follies (the one caught up big time) and then several others that they were not guaranteeing would produce eggs. We were hoping for 1-2 and I actually got 5 eggs. Of the 5, only 3 were mature and 3 fertilized. Yesterday we had an ET with 2 great looking 8 celled 3dt. Now I’m in the 2WW and waiting to see if my 3rd embryo gets to a place where we can freeze. I’m so glad that we went ahead with the cycle. It ended up working better then we could have imagined. (last cycle we only retrieved 4 eggs and none fertilized!)


#12

So happy for you Anastasia!! It sounds like very similar to what hapened with my cycle in Oct!! Good luck to you! And hope you get your BFP and a frostie too!