Donor complication insurance

Ladies,
Have any of you used a known donor and had your attorney tell you that you need to purchase donor complication insurance? If so, which company did you use? Were you required to purchase donor/recipient insurance by the insurance carrier? It looks like my transfer will be quite a while after my donor’s retrieval because of work and other medical concerns and I do not want to pay for something that I am not going to use.

[quote=3rdtimesthecharm]Ladies,
Have any of you used a known donor and had your attorney tell you that you need to purchase donor complication insurance? If so, which company did you use? Were you required to purchase donor/recipient insurance by the insurance carrier? It looks like my transfer will be quite a while after my donor’s retrieval because of work and other medical concerns and I do not want to pay for something that I am not going to use.[/quote]

Hi 3rdtimesthecharm we had donor complication insurance built into our contract with our donor agency. Seems like it was pretty standard for our agency since it was in the contract I dont recall the name of the company that offered the insurance however, sorry.

Even if your only option is donor/recipient coverage that will expire before your transfer, it is FAR preferable to have that than to have nothing. The point of donor complication insurance is to help the donor if anything goes wrong during or as a result of the egg donation. How horrible would you feel if something went wrong and she had no insurance to cover her medical bills? Oh and by the way, if things really went to hell, she could sue you for her medical expenses. Just get the insurance. It’s a few hundred bucks, well worth the peace of mind and the knowledge that you’ve done what you can to take care of your donor.