Don't know what to think....

Hi - I am new here.

I had a D&C (abortion) last May – long story short, I had an U/S which showed pooling blood inside my uterus. I ended up finding the Asherman’s support group and finding an "A-list’ doctor who determined I had cervical scaring. Upon a hysteroscopy and a laperoscopy - he confirmed that my scaring was limited only to that area. He cleaned it up, I had HRT and also a follow up HSG that revealed a good cavity.

Well that was October 2010 and my periods have gotten lighter again, cyclical cramping is returned (so we suspect that the cervix is rescaring a bit) BUT on CD 24 my lining measured 6.5!!! I am not on any drugs btw. What the heck could scaring in the cervix have to do with effecting the thickness of my lining? Is 6.5 really really thin for this CD? (my cycle is about 31 days long). What else could this be? Is there anything I can do to ‘beef up’ the lining? I am 31 years old and am pretty concerned about having thinner lining…

We plan to prob do another hysteroscopy to address the scaring but the lining is scaring me. I think I had 8mm pre surgery. Does the lining thickness change from month to month? Does dieting affect it?

I hope someone can help…

Jaime

[quote=Jaimegurl23]Hi - I am new here.

I had a D&C (abortion) last May – long story short, I had an U/S which showed pooling blood inside my uterus. I ended up finding the Asherman’s support group and finding an "A-list’ doctor who determined I had cervical scaring. Upon a hysteroscopy and a laperoscopy - he confirmed that my scaring was limited only to that area. He cleaned it up, I had HRT and also a follow up HSG that revealed a good cavity.

Well that was October 2010 and my periods have gotten lighter again, cyclical cramping is returned (so we suspect that the cervix is rescaring a bit) BUT on CD 24 my lining measured 6.5!!! I am not on any drugs btw. What the heck could scaring in the cervix have to do with effecting the thickness of my lining? Is 6.5 really really thin for this CD? (my cycle is about 31 days long). What else could this be? Is there anything I can do to ‘beef up’ the lining? I am 31 years old and am pretty concerned about having thinner lining…

We plan to prob do another hysteroscopy to address the scaring but the lining is scaring me. I think I had 8mm pre surgery. Does the lining thickness change from month to month? Does dieting affect it?

I hope someone can help…

Jaime[/quote]

I’m not sure exactly what could be causing the thinning of your lining, but that does sound like a very thin lining. RE will usually prescribe prometrium to help thicken up it after IUI. I think this is a question that only your RE can answer. There are natural remedies that can help, though. Many women have found that using castor oil packs can help with uterine scarring, fibroids, and polyps, it can also help clear out clogged fallopian tubes and remove toxins. Sorry I couldn’t answer any of your other questions, it’s just hard to say what the underlying problem could be. Talk to your doctor.

Thank you for replying. Is it very thin in general or very thin for a woman who is doing fertility treatment? I am not on anything at the moment…im really scared. Of course i am talking with my dr. but was hoping someone on here could help shed some light too.

Ya Im just not sure what could be causing the problem b/c Im not your doctor. I think alot of women who suffer from thin lining have a luteal phase defect, which can be fixed with taking prometrium suppositories of 200mg 2x a day. I don’t know what the standard requirement for a “good” lining is but I was told I was 11 and they said that was perfect. But I do know that the castor oil packs do help with that also, so you could try and see if that helps as well.

thanks for writing :slight_smile: was your measurement WITH drugs/help or without?

Yes it was, but I have endometriosis, which makes my uterine lining grow in abundance. I think the clomid probably shrank it down a little but because I naturally make an excess amount, it didn’t have a negative impact on my lining as it would with someone who does not have endometriosis. And in your case, since yours is so thin, not as thin as I’ve seen some women reporting (like 4mm), but yours is still pretty thin. Dr might have you take prometrium BEFORE clomid for about 2 wks and then have you on clomid after you have begun AF.

While there could be a problem with luteal phase, if your lining is thin, it’s more likely due to a lack of estrogen at the beginning of the cycle. The reason for that is that the lining grows the most during the first part of the cycle (the follicular phase) in preparation for a possible pregnancy. During the luteal phase, the lining is getting stickier in order for the embryo to implant. So, if your lining is thin, it’s likely due to something going on in the first half of the cycle - hormonal imbalance. Also, when you mentioned a lining on CD24, so this was after ovulation, right? Yes, that would be very thin because they usually like to see about 8 or 9mm. In medicated cycles, they like to see about 7-9mm before trigger and the trigger usually plumps it up a bit. So, by CD24, the lining shouldn’t be that thin. Are they measuring at any other point in your cycle? As for the luteal phase, if you have a problem, you would be having a shortened luteal phase (less than 12 days) and possibly premenstrual spotting. Are you noticing any of that?

Hi - thank you for your response. :slight_smile: yes - it was after ovulation – I usually have a 32 day cycle so I am pretty sure I ovulated. One notion that I am not sure people are too familiar with but my doctor mentioned is that when there is a narrowing at the cervix and blood cnt fully exit each month (pools a bit inside), the body almost shuts itself down - aka effects the lining (here is a blog about it from my doctor http://docinthemachine.com/2006/11/13/new-infertility-becomes-aub-device/). That is why we are prob doing another hysteroscopy to check for scaring…

Say its not that though. You mentioned an estrogen type of defect…how can we check for that? I gave blood when I was in there last but that was after O so not sure that matters. And re: measuring at any other time - no…we haven’t since this is the first time it was thin :frowning:

Since I really haven’t had to pay much attention to this in the past - can lining greatly fluctuate from month to month? Aside from hormones - can it be affected by diet changes (last month - I went completely gluten free and pretty much vegetarian) or low body weight? Just curious if there is a fluctuation ever?

Thank you ladies…

hi!

on a non medicated cycle this month my lining was VERY thin. it was about a 5. not ideal at all. i do however have one child and she is only 2. my health has remained the same since i had her…i also got pregnant with her pretty fast…

this time around hasn’t been so easy… i had a saline sono which shows nothing wrong w. my uterus.

that being said i dont want to keep trying if they think my lining MAY be an issue so next cycle we are moving to injectibles which I have been told will help boost my lining! i may also attempt some natural recommended remedies…such as acupunture and raspberry leaf tea…can’t hurt…right?

I hope this helps! good luck to you!