Don't you think this is overdoing it?

So I got my IVF calendar in the mail and thought I was reading a typo so I called my nurse and was told that the amounts I will be on is correct.

I will be doing a TOTAL of 900 iui daily of Follstim and 300 iui of Menupor. Now when I cycled with my son albeit that was 2 years ago I was on half that dose and then my most recent failed cycle I was only on 600 iui of follistim a day and 150 if Menupor.

When I asked the nurse said that the doctor wanted to basically throw everything they had at me. I’m really scared and concerned that 1) That I still stim too fast to the point that my eggs won’t be mature 2) Even though I normally don’t produce more than 4 follies that I will develope OHSS

My RE says that if I don’t produce more than 3 follies and have a E2 of 1000 or more then she will cancel my cycle.

I’m thinking of altering the dosage myself to say maybe 700 iui of follistim a day with 225 iui of Menupor and take my chances.

[B]Should I run from this doctor and find another?[/B]

[quote=kandygurl1971]So I got my IVF calendar in the mail and thought I was reading a typo so I called my nurse and was told that the amounts I will be on is correct.

I will be doing a TOTAL of 900 iui daily of Follstim and 300 iui of Menupor. Now when I cycled with my son albeit that was 2 years ago I was on half that dose and then my most recent failed cycle I was only on 600 iui of follistim a day and 150 if Menupor.

When I asked the nurse said that the doctor wanted to basically throw everything they had at me. I’m really scared and concerned that 1) That I still stim too fast to the point that my eggs won’t be mature 2) Even though I normally don’t produce more than 4 follies that I will develope OHSS

My RE says that if I don’t produce more than 3 follies and have a E2 of 1000 or more then she will cancel my cycle.

I’m thinking of altering the dosage myself to say maybe 700 iui of follistim a day with 225 iui of Menupor and take my chances.

[B]Should I run from this doctor and find another?[/B][/quote]

That’s the most FSH I’ve ever heard of.

OHSS is not a concern in patients that produce less than 10 follicles. The FSH dosage is not very relevant for OHSS risk in those patients. It would be relevant in those who might develop many follicles and then receive hCG.

I would not alter the protocol without the doctor’s permission, but I would get a second opinion at another center. At some point there is a diminishing return with increasing the FSH dosage, and I think you might be getting well beyond that point.

Thanks Ghost

This isn’t the first time for me of course so when I heard those amount it just didn’t sit right with me. I have almost a month before I start stims so I think I am going to take your advise and consult with another doctor to be on the safe side.

That is the same amount of follistim and menopur I was on for my last cycle (which resulted in boy/girl twins). Good luck!

I was also on the maximum amount of meds, and I also questioned it. My RE said that the older you get the more stims you need. You don’t want to have a canceled cycle due to lack of folicles. I felt good during my cycle and I am now pregnant with twins! I would reconfirm but don’t worry I am sure that he knows what he is doing. Good Luck!

kandygurl, I was on exactley the same amount of stims as you for a 11 days, no changes & I have a normal fsh! I didnt even come close to ohss. GOOD LUCK!

I was on 300 follistim and 150 menopur and my RE said I was on high dosage already. I am the poor responser and low AMH, but my RE still keep the same dosage for this coming cycle, but change the protocol.

450 is on the high side.