Doxycycline and IVF

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Dear Ladies,[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]One question for you: I noted that many of you were taking Doxycycline as part of standard IVF/FET protocol. It is not the case in my clinic: I had microbiological analysis of my cervix, including Chlamydia, Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma, anaerobic bacteria… – everything came back negative, so I do not take any therapy. [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Wondering is it OK approach? Maybe I should take Doxycycline just in case? What is opinion of your RE? At which moment of IVF cycle you were taking it?[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Many thanks![/SIZE][/FONT]

D

My clinic does it,
But They just switched off of doxy to a less harsh pill for less days. I think Its a z-pac. I hate the doxy. I have to pick it up today and I will let you know.

Thanks
Hope

I am always put on doxy during my cycles to help prevent fluid in the uterus. I take it starting 1st day of stims and I think I take it for about 10 days or so. Seems to always help.

I had to take it only for after the egg retrieval. Not during any stims.

Many clinics do it, but studies show it has no benefit.

[Prophylactic antibioti… [J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

You can feel very comfortable not taking it. Good luck.

My husband and I both took it for twice a day for the 7 days up to the egg retrieval.

Doxycycline embryo toxic

I had a bad reaction to the doxycycline on my first failed IVF. i turned as red as a beet. i did research and found that its not only useless, its embryo toxic. I asked my RE about it…he said that if i refused to take it for my next cycle i would have to sign a waver that i would rather risk infection rather than embryo toxicity!!! Ahhh hello.!!! i was so upset. they admitted that it was true… that doxycycline is toxic to the embryo!!! and when you take it, you risk getting bad infection because you kill off the good flora of the uterus. It makes me sick! This time i just said oh ok. whatever you say is best dr. bha bah like a sheep…i will take it… of course i did not tell him but i did NOT take it and wow… i got BFP

Not only that it ruined my husbands morphology, his morph was ok at 37 percent before antibiotic/ doxycycline, but then when he took it he went down to 6 percent!!! so they had to do ICSI ( yet more money for the clinic) ahhh hello!!! I looked up on google PUBMED.gov and found that it mutates sperm!!! Doxycycline inhibits protien synthisis which is important for embryo division and implantation! I was livid!!!

Doxycycline has been assigned to pregnancy category D by the FDA. Animal studies have revealed evidence of embryo- and fetotoxicity…and im not just talking yellowing of the teeth.!!!

THE RISKS OUTWEIGH THE BENEFITS!

clinic that cares

[quote=Dear_D][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Dear Ladies,[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]One question for you: I noted that many of you were taking Doxycycline as part of standard IVF/FET protocol. It is not the case in my clinic: I had microbiological analysis of my cervix, including Chlamydia, Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma, anaerobic bacteria… – everything came back negative, so I do not take any therapy. [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Wondering is it OK approach? Maybe I should take Doxycycline just in case? What is opinion of your RE? At which moment of IVF cycle you were taking it?[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Many thanks![/SIZE][/FONT]

D[/quote]

Your clinic cares about your outcome…and they are in the know that its embryo toxic and not useful in IVF… actually detrimental… you are lucky you have a good clinic. You do NOT need doxycycline, it will only harm your embryos.

Doxy is finished before transfer. Doxy is a specialized antibiotic for pelvic infections. I specifically asked about this yesterday and was told it is NOT toxic and without it you are risking getting pregnant at all. My clinic has unbelievable stats and they prescribe it for all IVFs and saline hystos, etc. They do not prescribe it to the males unless there is a medical reason prior to retrieval that it would be needed. While I do research everything, I also trust my doctor. I doubt they would do anything harmful, if only to protect their “stats”.

The study I posted showed no benefit, but no detriment either. I’d be interested in scientific research that shows a detriment. I looked and didn’t find anything like that.