Dr. Garza in Matamoros Mexico

Hi all,
I’ve been an active member on the IUI boards for almost a year but last June we were told it would be best to move onto IVF. I’ve been researching our options and trying to save money for the very costly IVF. It’s a slow going process to come up with the money and the $10K we need feels years away (and very may well be but I hate to wait much longer) So now DH and I are discussing going to Matamoros Mexico for the entire IVF procedure with Dr. Garza. I’ve found limited info on here about him but what I have found, has all been good. If there is anyone here that has used him, I would greatly appreciate some in depth details about the whole process with him and costs.
Thanks so much!!

Hi Dren-

Have you looked into Micro-IVF at SIRM? Micro IVF - discounted In Vitro Fertilization for under $5,000 | Not what you were asking, I know, but you might be a good candidate. And, if you’re going to travel, Vegas might be easier than Mexico…

Hi Adrienne,

I found your post here as I was looking for more info on Dr. Garza myself as well as IVF in Mexico in general. I do see from your signature that it looks like you decided to go with an egg sharing option. We also have looked into that. Are you with the Cooper clinic by any chance?

Anyway, I wanted to check and see if you had found a reason not to go with Dr Garza that I might want to know about. I have done a pretty good internet search and everything I have found has been really positive, but like you said, it is limited.

Good luck with your cycle!!

E

Elika, We did decide to go with the shared egg program at Cooper Institute. We had our phone consult with Cooper and were waiting on some other tests to be done so I started researching Dr. Garza and going to Mexico. I wound up getting accepted into the donor program and decided to give that a shot. We never found anything bad or any solid reason not to go to Dr. Garza but ultimately decided that since I qualified to share half my eggs for about the same price as going to Mexico, it would be a better fit for us right now. If I could have found lots more information, we may have gone ahead with Dr. Garza. I was leary of traveling outside the US for IVF but we wouldn’t totally rule it out for the future. Good luck with whatever route you wind up choosing!!

My worry with dr garza is the stem cell therapy he adds on. there is no studies to back up his protocol. I feel more comfortable with the traditional protocol with my dr. Jose Gayetan in mexico city and now a new clinic in cancun.

Can you point us to the info on the stem cell research please?

Thanks,
E

[QUOTE=Elika]Can you point us to the info on the stem cell research please?

Thanks,
E[/QUOTE]

Guess she was an advertiser for the other Mexico clinic…cause she and all her posts are gone…

I wanted to update this thread, since when I was searching for info on Mexico IVF and Dr Garza I had a really hard time finding much. I went to his clinic and just had my ET yesterday of 2 8-cell grade 1 embryos! :slight_smile:

There were challenges, and moments when I questioned the decision, but I am really glad I went, and would do it again.

Here it is in a nutshell:

Bad: The clinic is in Matamoros MX, a border town. If you have been watching the news lately you have seen the violence. It is not a place you go casually. I did stay in MX, in a hotel right by the clinic, however, most people coming from the US stay in Brownsville TX just across the border, and the clinic has a driver that will pick you up and drop you off for appts. Also, a good working knowledge of Spanish is really helpful. There is one woman there that helps the English speakers but she is not always there, or available. The other receptionists just look at you funny when you try, even though I can usually get my point across in Spanish. things are just way more casual there, I hardly filled out any paperwork. They had me sign a consent AFTER the ER. :slight_smile: The front desks girls are pretty clueless and you kinda wonder if they have ever done this before. You have to be ready for it to be really different than in the US where you have everything explained to you, and get a schedule and a packet. When I went in for my ultrasounds they were about 15 seconds long. Not kidding! They don’t measure every follicle or even count them all! They definitely don’t volunteer any of the small bits of info they do get, but if I asked they would say…oh, about 6 follicles, biggest about 16mm, you are doing great! Again, really different. I think they just can tell fast where you are at and don’t bother with the details. It was stressful for a micromanaging need to know everything person like me. But I don’t think it reflects a quality of care, just different. And being mexico, that lack of attention to detail shows up in the building, unfinished details, etc.
I did have to wait in the office for quite a long time once or twice…but hey,…thats what I was there for. Bring your own magazines! :slight_smile:

Good: The town, though a bit scary, actually could be quite charming in places. I really enjoyed walking to the town square, trying the food, and going to the market. And I was there by myself the first week. I felt safe during the day, and met some nice people. The clinic is clean and their equipment all seemed up to date. The Dr’s were nice, and all spoke pretty decent English. They do the antagonist cycle (which I like), and they use a conservative amount of meds. (i got about 12 eggs on my first 2 IVF’s and only 7 on this one). The idea is quality over quantity, which I also like. The meds are all the standard ones, I used 200u puregon, and ganirelix.
I did get two good looking embryos to transfer and have 3 others that I am hoping might freeze. So their lab must be decent.

Regarding the price, it was about $4000 including meds. They also said that if you get a BFN, your second try they half their charge, and if you get another BFN, you only pay for meds for the third try. How’s that for a little security? I just couldn’t shell out 16,000 for a cycle by my home, knowing that if it didn’t work I was done. This probably isn’t for everyone, but really worked well for me.

Hope this info helps someone.

Feel free to PM with any questions!

E

Hello, did you go to Dr. Garza?

Hi Elika, I will be going to Dr. Garza in July can you tell me what hotel you stayed in?? And how much did it cost to stay there?

[QUOTE=Paulina]Hi Elika, I will be going to Dr. Garza in July can you tell me what hotel you stayed in?? And how much did it cost to stay there?[/QUOTE]

Hi, Good luck on your upcoming trip and cycle! I hope it works for you!

My IVF with Dr Garza didn’t work, but he is the one that found my immune issues, and my next cycle worked. I think he is good. :slight_smile:

I stayed at the Best Western right by the clinic.

BEST WESTERN Gran Hotel Residencial (Matamoros, Mexico) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

It was okay. At the time the ‘policia nationales’ or the national police were staying in the hotel as well. It kida freaked me out to have hundreds of armed guards with automatic rifles walking around. I though maybe I was safer because of it, but also felt like we were a little bit of a target? Not sure.

I don’t remember the price, sorry, but you can call them and they can quote you. The receptionist spoke english. I really think the rate was much lower than the $100 that I’m seeing online, and it includes a pretty good breakfast. The rooms can be pretty different, some have refrigerators, some don’t etc. So I’d ask to look at a couple if you can.

There was another hotel more downtown that was pretty cute that I considered moving to, Hotel Colonial.

Hotel Colonial (Matamoros, Mexico) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

It is a few blocks from the clinic though.

Good luck!!
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Elizabeth

Thank you so much for your help Elizabeth!!!
[COLOR=“Indigo”]

Interesting… I wonder if we can buy our fertility meds in Mexico? My folks live about 15 minutes from Mexico…totally didn’t even consider that option.

hey

HEY girl im going to dr garza in july but.im going to stay in brownsville did u need a passport u can email me at [email protected] [Q[B][B][/B][/B]UOTE=Elika]I wanted to update this thread, since when I was searching for info on Mexico IVF and Dr Garza I had a really hard time finding much. I went to his clinic and just had my ET yesterday of 2 8-cell grade 1 embryos! :slight_smile:

There were challenges, and moments when I questioned the decision, but I am really glad I went, and would do it again.

Here it is in a nutshell:

Bad: The clinic is in Matamoros MX, a border town. If you have been watching the news lately you have seen the violence. It is not a place you go casually. I did stay in MX, in a hotel right by the clinic, however, most people coming from the US stay in Brownsville TX just across the border, and the clinic has a driver that will pick you up and drop you off for appts. Also, a good working knowledge of Spanish is really helpful. There is one woman there that helps the English speakers but she is not always there, or available. The other receptionists just look at you funny when you try, even though I can usually get my point across in Spanish. things are just way more casual there, I hardly filled out any paperwork. They had me sign a consent AFTER the ER. :slight_smile: The front desks girls are pretty clueless and you kinda wonder if they have ever done this before. You have to be ready for it to be really different than in the US where you have everything explained to you, and get a schedule and a packet. When I went in for my ultrasounds they were about 15 seconds long. Not kidding! They don’t measure every follicle or even count them all! They definitely don’t volunteer any of the small bits of info they do get, but if I asked they would say…oh, about 6 follicles, biggest about 16mm, you are doing great! Again, really different. I think they just can tell fast where you are at and don’t bother with the details. It was stressful for a micromanaging need to know everything person like me. But I don’t think it reflects a quality of care, just different. And being mexico, that lack of attention to detail shows up in the building, unfinished details, etc.
I did have to wait in the office for quite a long time once or twice…but hey,…thats what I was there for. Bring your own magazines! :slight_smile:

Good: The town, though a bit scary, actually could be quite charming in places. I really enjoyed walking to the town square, trying the food, and going to the market. And I was there by myself the first week. I felt safe during the day, and met some nice people. The clinic is clean and their equipment all seemed up to date. The Dr’s were nice, and all spoke pretty decent English. They do the antagonist cycle (which I like), and they use a conservative amount of meds. (i got about 12 eggs on my first 2 IVF’s and only 7 on this one). The idea is quality over quantity, which I also like. The meds are all the standard ones, I used 200u puregon, and ganirelix.
I did get two good looking embryos to transfer and have 3 others that I am hoping might freeze. So their lab must be decent.

Regarding the price, it was about $4000 including meds. They also said that if you get a BFN, your second try they half their charge, and if you get another BFN, you only pay for meds for the third try. How’s that for a little security? I just couldn’t shell out 16,000 for a cycle by my home, knowing that if it didn’t work I was done. This probably isn’t for everyone, but really worked well for me.

Hope this info helps someone.

Feel free to PM with any questions!

E[/QUOTE]

Hello All,

I had my IVF procedure in Mexico as well, but not near Texas… My procedure with meds, tests, ICSI, assisted hatching etc was a little less than $6500… My doctor and all of his receptionists, nurses speak english just fine…
I am an American, I live in Mexico full time near the California border. My doctor was/is amazing and as you can see by my signature I am pregnant!

Hi, looks like this website is up and running again. How is everyone doing?

Hi barbie.d0ll, yes the site is up and going again. Welcome!