Egg retrieval nerves

Hi all. Well, my ER day is finally here. I go in sunday morning for it. But I can’t lie. I’m feeling overwhelmed. I’m so nervous I cry. This is b/c I was told I will be given Valium and Demerol but will not be completely under. One friend said they felt everything…that the meds didn’t work for her. I think I will feel the meds since i dont ever take any, but I’m afraid there will be pain. I’m scared.

Anyone out there had similar meds and been ok?

Why didn’t you ask for the general anaesthesia?

I think I was under General anaesthesia. It was $400extra but well worth it. I didn’t feel a thing. They gave me valium 10mg for my transfer that didn’t work too well but it’s not like I was in extreme pain either. Is it too late to call your RE & put in a request?

Most do not get general even though they think they do you would need to be intubatrdmost get twilight sedation or a MAC you’re not awake at all or don’t remember usually getting things like fentanyl versed and propofol… I would expect to be fully awake if i were u and would ask for IV sedation. Demeral is an old drug and they don’t usually use it for sedation sometimes they give it to get rid of shaking after sedation that’s about it. Are u in the US ?

I am in the US. General anesthesia was never an option. He only does the Valium & Demerol. It’s in is clinic, so I’m thinking this is why since its only him & the nurse.

I would ask for IV sedation. That is what I had and I was out like a light. If I wouldn’t have been out for it I would have lost it. I don’t think my practice gives anybody a choice though, they all go out the same way.

For what it’s worth though, people react differently. My retrieval was easy. I didn’t even take any of the pain killers they gave me for after. They got 22 eggs and the next day, to my RE’s surprise I went right back to work and felt totally fine. I have a friend who had 13 eggs retrieved and ended up on the couch for the three days. I really think pain wise a lot has to do with the person.

It differs for every cycle. My first 2 cycles, it was a piece of cake as far as recovery goes. My 3rd cycle, I was miserable. I think I had a mild case of OHSS, and I was really hurting.

I always had twilight sedation. I would definitely ask for that, but I suspect that is what they will do anyway. I always got a demerol and valium before they knocked me out with the IV.

I would be scared too if I were you. I dont have any advice to offer but I guess just close your eyes and try to relax during the procedure. Mine was always done under GA at two different clinics , I’m a wuss when it comes to pain.

[QUOTE=Gigi3]Hi all. Well, my ER day is finally here. I go in sunday morning for it. But I can’t lie. I’m feeling overwhelmed. I’m so nervous I cry. This is b/c I was told I will be given Valium and Demerol but will not be completely under. One friend said they felt everything…that the meds didn’t work for her. I think I will feel the meds since i dont ever take any, but I’m afraid there will be pain. I’m scared.

Anyone out there had similar meds and been ok?[/QUOTE]

Hi Gigi3:

I had the same meds as you. I took 1 valium 25 min before my appt then another 2 when I got to the RE. Once inside they started an IV and gave me what my RE calls a cocktail. I was in between sleep and awake. I won’t lie, there were some moments of discomfort but nothing unbearable. My RE retrieved 22 eggs that day and I was extremely bloated the morning of the procedure. I was borderline OHSS but thankfully it didn’t happen. Make sure you drink PLENTY of gatorade. When I got home I slept for about an hour or so and then slowly stated walking around my house. That evening I felt well enough to get some last minute groceries for our 4th of July party which was the following day. I know everyone handles pain differently but you have to be positive. Wishing you the best of luck tomorrow.

Keep us posted! :flower:

I had my retrieval done in a clinic, like yours. Thus, they could not put me under. I did a lot of reading on here and it seemed like soooo many women were “out” for the procedure. It did make me a bit nervous, but honestly, it was fine.

I was fully awake the whole time, but they did use an IV. I remember feeling a bit loopy…honestly, the drugs they gave me were FABULOUS, I haven’t been that in a “happy place” since as long as I can remember…but I remember the conversations I had and the whole thing, so it must not have been a twilight sleep. Afterwards, I did get a bit woozy when I tried to walk in the lobby. They gave me some juice…I think it was just my blood pressure from not eating that morning. I was ravenously hungry and ate a ton for lunch, and it was some of the best food I ever had so I think the pain meds were lingering.

I did experience quite a bit of soreness towards evening, as the meds wore off. It was even worse the second day…felt like I had done a TON of crunches. They didn’t give me any pain meds, but it wasn’t anything crazy bad (I’ve had a c-section and it was much, much easier than that). It hurt for that second day and then was much better by the third day.

It sounds like everyone’s experience is different, but try to remember that most of the things you read on here will be the bad experiences. The good ones don’t even think to find a forum and post about it. As someone that had a great retrieval experience and was NOT put under (even though my meds were a little different than yours), I can safely say it wasn’t that bad. My SIS was a lot worse, honestly. I’m not sure I’d want to do it over and over again, but it was fine. Yours will be, too! Try to relax and concentrate on growing nice, healthy follies!

Thank you for the positive replies. I have moments of panic and then I’m okay. I’m sure ill voice my concerns tomorrow. They have the valium for me at the clinic and I got the Demerol yesterday to take with me. They are only getting 11 eggs so maybe it won’t take so long.

If it helps you at all, I did 8 retrievals and only had 5mg of valium the first two times and nothing the other 6 times and it was fine. A little uncomfortable but really no big deal. I actually preferred not being so out of it when I was done and I could just walk right out. Although, I will add, 16 was the most eggs for any one retrieval so if you have tons of follicles it may be different.
Anyway, don’t freak out, that will just make it worse. Try relax and think about labor :). GL!