endo, laparoscopy and ivf

I’m embarking on my third IVF and so far we’ve been diagnosed with unexplained IF. Based on the results of my last two IVF cycles and my unsuccessful IUI cycles, I’m wondering if I may have endo. I’ve talked to my docs about this and they all say that if I do, it is probably so minimal that they would not recommend laparoscopy (based on the fact that I have no “real” symptoms).

For those of you who had a laparoscopy, did you know that you had endo or did you have the symptoms of endo and is that why you had a lap? If you had symptoms, what symptoms did you have?

Thanks!

[quote=sooz]I’m embarking on my third IVF and so far we’ve been diagnosed with unexplained IF. Based on the results of my last two IVF cycles and my unsuccessful IUI cycles, I’m wondering if I may have endo. I’ve talked to my docs about this and they all say that if I do, it is probably so minimal that they would not recommend laparoscopy (based on the fact that I have no “real” symptoms).

For those of you who had a laparoscopy, did you know that you had endo or did you have the symptoms of endo and is that why you had a lap? If you had symptoms, what symptoms did you have?

Thanks![/quote]

I don’t know about endo but I am wondering why you keep getting so few mature eggs. Is there something to do with the length of stimming or the protocol? You might want to ask your RE about that.

I have a lot of symptoms that pointed to endo. They suspected stage 4 but I had a lap and it was stage 2 which wasn’t too bad so I guess you never know.

My doc said I wouldn’t have endo, but I insisted on a lap and it turned out that I had minimal endo. I do not have any symptoms.

I had terrible cramps and pain with intercourse. My lap showed that I was in between stage 1 and 2.

We didn’t treat it since that would have taken me off the baby track for about six months. They did “scrape” some of it and that supposedly can be very helpful. From what I’ve read, you could have severe endo and no symptoms or you could have all the symps and have mild endo. There is just no way to tell until they go in.

The surgery is pretty mild and I was in no more pain than I was after my ET.

Hope that helps.

Endo is such an enigma. There are women who have a lot of pain and have only stage 1 or 2 and some who have few symptoms and have it at a stage 4.

I had a lap, not because of any symptoms, but more as a diagnostic to see if there was any scarring on my tubes from a PID. And they found minor stage on on the cul de sac. It was removed, but I still had no success with natural clomid cycles and IUI’s.

When endo is removed via lap they say your best window for success is within 3-6 months because it comes back. But in my case I was not successful in that time frame, and almost 2 years later I was successful with my first IVF.

I don’t think endo was my problem. I think, especially at low-levels, that it’s negative impact is over-emphasized. I’ve even heard more than one doctor say that if you do a lap on a lot of normal healthy women, you’ll probably find some endometrial tissue outside of the uterus on most of them.