I am trying to decide how many embryos to transfer next month. We did CCS testing and have 4 normal embryos. The best one being a 4AA. I really would like like to avoid twins due to the extra risks but am not sure I want to risk another failed cycle. If you did an eSET what were your reasons and do you have any regrets?
[QUOTE=ttc3]I am trying to decide how many embryos to transfer next month. We did CCS testing and have 4 normal embryos. The best one being a 4AA. I really would like like to avoid twins due to the extra risks but am not sure I want to risk another failed cycle. If you did an eSET what were your reasons and do you have any regrets?[/QUOTE]
This is such a hard decision. How old are you? How many failed cycles have you had??
Im 29 with two failed cycles. Our main problem is male factor. First cycle transferred two on day 3 then second cycle transferred a morulla and early blast on day 5. I think the main reason our embryos never made it to blast was the lab. We changed clinics to CCRM and now that we have essentially a perfect embryo we are considering an eSET but am finding myself questioning that decision.
[QUOTE=ttc3]Im 29 with two failed cycles. Our main problem is male factor. First cycle transferred two on day 3 then second cycle transferred a morulla and early blast on day 5. I think the main reason our embryos never made it to blast was the lab. We changed clinics to CCRM and now that we have essentially a perfect embryo we are considering an eSET but am finding myself questioning that decision.[/QUOTE]
At 29, I think an SET is really reasonable. If you put in two, there’s about a 40-50% chance of pregnancy (for someone young like you) and then if you DO get pregnant, there’s a 50% chance of twins, so an overall 25% chance of twins when you put in two. That being said, if you put in two, it certainly doesn’t double your chance of being pregnant. It doesn’t increase your chance of pregnancy all that much. My RE said a 42% chance of pregnancy with transferring 1 and a 50% chance of pregnancy with two. That being said, with cycle #3, I’d probably lean towards 2 but I’d be okay with twins (not hoping for them, but we would make it work).
Good luck with your choice!!
At 29 yrs old and w/ tested, normal embies, I would go with transferring one if you don’t want twins.
I went with a eSET at 40/41 yrs of age because we already have one DS and we really don’t want twins. That and my embie was already hatched and graded an “A” by the lab, which my RE says the ‘never’ do. My RE gave me the option of putting a second embie back with it, but said it only ups your chances of pregnancy a few % points, while it really ups the odds of twins. At my age, and w/ an untested embie, it was a lot bigger risk than you would be taking and it paid off. My little bean stuck and I’m pregnant w/ a singleton.
Just take a look at the May 2013 IVF thread and you will see how many ladies are having twins and had 2 embryo transferred. Good luck w/ whatever you decide, but I’d leave those frosties for a future sibling!
At 29 with normal embryos, I would go for eset if you don’t want twins. If you feel strongly about not wanting twins it may be easier to have a few failed fets than twins. I would imagine though with the quality and your age you should be successful.
Did you test embryos on your last failed cycles? If not t could have been they were not normal and that was why you failed?
Best of luck whatever you decide. I know how hard of a journey if is and pray we all end up with our healthy take home babies!
I did a SET of a “perfect” blastocyst in March and am now 16w4d pregnant. We are considered unexplained IF and this was our first IVF but we had been trying almost 3 years and had 6 failed IUI’s in the past. On the day of transfer, we had 4 ready to freeze and 4 others they were still evaluating (ended up with 7 snowbabies) so my RE offered a SET.
DH’s cousin transferred two and one split so they have triplets. We had agreed if we had a perfect embie we would only transfer one but if they were of lesser quality we would transfer two. My RE told me that transferring two really wouldn’t increase my chances for pregnancy but it would increase the chance for twins. I really believe I would be pregnant with twins (or more) if we had transferred two. There are four or five other girls pregnant now that did SET’s in February and March too.
This is a decision only you can make…Good luck!
I would transfer 1 if you only want 1. We only wanted a singleton (however even with twins are thrilled to finally get our wish) The day of xfer we had one good grade and one fair grade and I asked the RE to only transfer the good grade. He gave us a long speech that in a nutshell said that it is a chance for twins but very low and basically told us we wasted everyones time if we transfered one because chances would be lower. When we first found out it was twins I was so mad at the doc (who ironicly we never saw after that ET) Mostly I was upset becuase we only wanted 2 children and I really wanted to go through the experince twice but it is what it is. My advice to you is go with your gut. As soon as I left the ET I regreted not standing my ground with him and wondered if he talked me into that to help his stats.
I would say one if you only want one.
We chose to transfer two, but we were okay with twins. Especially knowing this was more than likely our only chance. My RE also said that transferring 2 doesn’t necessarily increase chances of pregnancy but it does DEFINATELY increase chance of twins. For us with this being our only shot at IVF I knew if I only transferred one and it didn’t take I would forever question what would have happened if I transferred two. BUt if that is not an issue for you, then I’d say go with one.
Thanks for all the responses! It’s helpful to hear BFPs for eSETs. I feel like we have a way better chance this time than the last two IVFs. We didnt do CCS testing in our previous cycles so knowing we are transferring a normal embryo helps. It’s hard making the decision to do an eSET when you know what it’s like getting that call saying you’re not pregnant. But I’ve just got to remember that we wouldn’t be increasing our chances that much by transferring two.
CCRM has a 75% live birth rate in your age category with CCS tested embryos. So if you do transfer two, there will be a very good chance you will have twins. I am 40 and am currently undergoing embryo banking to hopefully find one normal embryo that I can transfer at a later date. Although unlikely, if I end up with two, I will still transfer only one at a time. I have seen too many women lose their twins due to various issues, so I would never take that chance knowing that CCS tested embryos are much more likely to implant than those non tested. A singleton pregnancy is simply much easier in so many ways.