Estrogen too low before stims even start?

I’m trying to start my first IVF cycle. We’re doing an antagonist protocol. I started birth control pills about 3 weeks ago. My last BCP was last Saturday and my period started on Tuesday. I went into the office on Wednesday. They could only see 2 antral follicles. They felt this was not surprising because of the BCPs. (A month ago my AFC was 15.) Went back in this morning for more blood work and my estrogen was still at 18.

The office feels they can’t start stims until my estrogen rises above 20. WTF. So, now I go in tomorrow for more bloodwork and another u/s.

Has this happened to anybody before? I ovulate normally at other times. TIA

[quote=Xerxella]I’m trying to start my first IVF cycle. We’re doing an antagonist protocol. I started birth control pills about 3 weeks ago. My last BCP was last Saturday and my period started on Tuesday. I went into the office on Wednesday. They could only see 2 antral follicles. They felt this was not surprising because of the BCPs. (A month ago my AFC was 15.) Went back in this morning for more blood work and my estrogen was still at 18.

The office feels they can’t start stims until my estrogen rises above 20. WTF. So, now I go in tomorrow for more bloodwork and another u/s.

Has this happened to anybody before? I ovulate normally at other times. TIA[/quote]

I’ve never heard of anything like this. I have had E2 that low and have started stims.

Same here I always thought the lower the better. I started my last cycle with an E2 of 17.

Ugh. So what? Is this some quirkiness of my RE? I’ve googled the heck out of it and can find absolutely nothing.

Tomorrow will be cd 4. Aren’t we getting too late in the process to be starting stims? IDK. Why isn’t there just one plan out there? Why does everyone have to be different? (Rhetorical question).

I guess I just wait for tomorrow to see what happens.

I always heard that lower is better with day 3 E2 levels. I, too, have started with numbers as low as 12. What is their reasoning? Worth asking about!

Their reasoning is that: my low estrogen shows that I’m still being suppressed by the BCPs. Therefore, we should wait until my estrogen starts to rise on its own to show the suppression is done and the stims will work and not be fighting my body’s natural response. Sigh. I hear them. I’m just concerned that if we wait too long, dominant follicles will already have started to be chosen.