Failed IVF with ICSI

I’m not sure how many peopel have gone through this but from the postings I gather its more than I thought. My husband and I just went through an IVF ICSI cycle. They took out 20 eggs with 17 being mature. They fertilized all 17 and 5 died overnight. The next day I got a phone call that told me that 12 were still alive but were not developing. Later on that afternoon the doctor called and told me he was sorry but that the embryos were not developing. I have a hard time believing that out of 17 eggs not one took. My husband and I are both in our twenties and both fairly healthy. The doctor even told us that both specimens were great and he doesn’t understand why none took to the fertilization. We had to do ICSI due to my husband’s low sperm count. How is it possible that NONE of the eggs developed. It makes no sense at all that not one came out. I wouldn’t feel so destroyed if we had implanted and it failed…as it stands we got stopped at the first stage. We are both devastated and need to recoup. This was Monday and Today is Wednesday…I have had abdominal pain since Monday with difficulty breathing and moving. I have a feeling I have Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome…if it does not get better by Friday I will have to go to the hospital. We were convinced by the doctor that we HAD to do ICSI even though we both were reluctant. I have a feeling that the lab made a mistake or the eggs couldn’t survive the ICSI procedure but I find it impossible that not one developed. I would like to take it easy and try naturally but I don’t know what those chances are…as it is I feel I will never know what it’s like to have a baby of my own. I tried to find information on how long it takes to begin ovulating on your own after IVF but couldn’t find anything. My husband had a count of 2 million total and we were told that we would never conceive on our own.

I am so sorry to read that none of your eggs made it to transfer. Dh and I did our one and only IVF last March after 5 failed IUIs. I had 38 eggs retrieved with only 5 that fertilized. Of that 5 only two made it to transfer, and they weren’t of the best quality. I was shocked because of how many eggs they had retrieved, even doctors had told me to expect to have lots to freeze etc.

They told me my eggs were hard and sticky and that we would need to do another IVF if we wanted a child of our own. Basically we couldn’t afford another IVF so after one more IUI we just took a break. And we did conceive all on our own. I know this was a complete miracle, especially after doctors assured me we needed IVF, but try not to give up hope and don’t be afraid to question the doctors about what went wrong. I asked two different doctors three different times about the “sticky eggs” they said I had, because no one ever explained to me what this really meant. I would definitely ask them if they think ISCI had anything to do with the eggs not fertilizing. We did not do ICSI so I really do not know much about how it can harm eggs.

Best of luck to you :babydust: :babydust:

I am so sorry that it didn’t work out for you:( On the contrary though, ICSI increases your odds of fertilization, not the other way around…without ICSI we would never have been able to have children (my DH is azoo, and we used sperm from a biopsy, which are immotile). We did have poor fertilization, but this was due more to the condition of the sperm in the first place…those with male factor IF usually have lower fert rates and embryo quality. I would definately discuss this with your RE and see what can be done to increase your chances.
Good luck!

Hi don’t give up, I know how much it’s hard !!
For me trying to conceive since 2 years but still didn’t , I’m going next month to try my first IVF.

Pray and don’t give up and don’t forget that you’re still young and you have a big chance to have your own lovely baby

Did your doc have any ideas as to why this happened to you? I know how devastating it is to have a failed IVF. I was a poor responder when I did IVF, but as you can see in my signature miracles do happen. Have you tried alternative therapies? I truly believe that is what made the difference for us.

Good luck and while you can grieve the loss of this cycle, don’t give up your hopes to become a parent!

Hi… Have you thought about switching clinics? Just a thought, but that’s what worked for us. We had a failed IVF and decided we needed to go somewhere with a great lab. The lab really can make all the difference, especially with fragile embryos. We traveled halfway across the country to do IVF at Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine, and I’m currently 7 weeks pregnant. We had much better results than we had at our local clinic. Just a thought for you if you are able to do IVF again… it was worth it for us to pay the additional travel expenses, if it was going to give us the best shot possible. It’s at least worth a phone consultation… we sent our IVF results to several doctors around the country and set up a few phone consultations before choosing the one we wanted to go to. A phone consultation at CCRM costs $100 I believe, but it’s great to get another opinion on what might possibly have happened.

So sorry to hear you didn’t even have the opportunity to transfer any embies :(. Most RE’s will transfer the best 2 if they see the embies are not doing very well. They figure at least inside your body, they have a fighting chance. Sally has a great point…I think you should consider switching clinics.

I’m so sorry to read this. My heart breaks for you. My husband and I had the same thing, failed IVF…at Christmas time. In doing some research I found a few other tips that were VERY helpful for us. While deciding what to do next it might be worth trying the same. Here’s the nutshell info. How to get pregnant when it’s time to go beyond the basics | eHow.com
I hope beautiful things are in store for you and keep your mother’s heart beating strong!

Thank you all for the responses. I had a hard time getting back on the forum after my initial post. Just hard thinking about the entire situation. I may try another clinic as sallyd suggested. The clinic we used has not given us any information surrounding the circumstances of our failed IVF attempt. I would like to see it just to get a grasp on what or where the problem may be. I’m at the point of being constantly pessimistic about it and my husband keeps insisting that having a positive attitude will make a difference. I just don’t want to get my hopes upn anymore. I’m tired of people constantly asking us “when are you going to have kids?” because I definitely don’t want to rehash my situation. Thank you all for the responses. I am doing better than before and some days are harder than others.

Best clinic… better lab?

Hi,
I was in the same situation.
Have done 5 IVF cycles so far with ICSI.
Everytime, they lost about 80% of the embryos.
I switch clinic for my 6th IVF.
I am now at the CCRM (Colorado). They have better statistic and the lab is making the difference for ICSI.
My eggs retrieval will be on Jan 26. Will let you know if it’s better this time.
I wish you all the best for the future.:wings:

My first cycle was similar to yours, we needed to do IVF and ICSI due to my husband’s number and they were not great swimmers. On the cycle I had a lot of eggs, over 50 develop and I was in a lot of pain and very uncomfortable, when it came to retrival there were only about 10 good eggs left and from there only 7 fertilized and by 4 days later only 2 and they were not looking good-I did not become pregnant. We took some time off and decided to give it another shot. This time the clinic knew how my body would respond to the medicine and changed up the protocol and gave me a different series of medicines. I had a much better outcome, and experience. From my second cycle I had 6 fertilize and they transfered 2, I had one healthy son. I froze the remaining 4, and 18 months later I transfered 3 (one did not make the thawing process) and had a healthy little girl.

Sometimes our bodies respond poorly and the drs just need to figure it out-very costly trial and error-I know, but if you are not comfortable with how they are treating you, then you should change. IVF is a very emotional, difficult experience and you should have a great place, where you feel comfortable, listened to and supported. Good luck!

[quote=ReveDeBebe]Hi,
I was in the same situation.
Have done 5 IVF cycles so far with ICSI.
Everytime, they lost about 80% of the embryos.
I switch clinic for my 6th IVF.
I am now at the CCRM (Colorado). They have better statistic and the lab is making the difference for ICSI.
My eggs retrieval will be on Jan 26. Will let you know if it’s better this time.
I wish you all the best for the future.:wings:[/quote]

Hi we had IVF w/ICSI done last year and did not have anything to transfer due to other reasons. I had a consultation with another clinic this last month and the RE said that there might also be an issue with the quality of my eggs since we had so few fertilize. We only had 5 out of 15 fertilize. No one ever shared that I might have an issue, because none of the test showed anything. I understand how frustrating it is to not have anything to transfer after getting your hopes up.

Reve :I was wondering how your er went with ICSI. I hope you are having better success.:cross:

From what I have heard your husband would have to have ICSI to have baby. My boyfriend had 1 million sperm count and that is very low I was told

I am sorry that you had to go thru that. I wonder what the success rate for their ICSI is (my fertility clinic has a 80% success rate in fertilizing). I would investigate their stats but make sure they take higher risk patients (since some clinics artificially increase their success rates by rejecting higher risk patients)

I am 45 years old and they retrieved 7 eggs…6 mature. All 6 of my eggs fertilized with ICSI and 4 developed. Unfortunately none of them took (they put all 4 eggs back in). Old eggs just do not want to attach like younger eggs. I am going to try one more time…and then consider egg donor. At least my boyfriend that never thought he could have kids (he adopted with his exwife) will be able to have one.

I did my IVF in Dec and doctor said I could try again in Feb. I believe they said if you ovulate regularly you should ovulate the next month but I could be wrong. My ovulation seems screwed up this month though I usually ovulate regularlly(but I am 45 years old)

Good luck! You are still pretty young.

ICSI fails a lot more often than thought it seems…

I just wrapped up my first IVF with ICSI due to poor morphology and we chose to do ICSI on all of them because we wanted that 70-80% fertilization rate with the 11 eggs they retrieved. The next day, however, I was told that only 1 fertilized. I was devastated and cried all day that day – it was very hard after all the work with the shots and appointments to have a failure that the doctor just couldn’t explain. Sometimes, he said, you just have a fertilization ‘fluke’ – so we will try again in a couple of months. Although I ended up having the ET on day 3, I already was prepared for it not working, and so after the 2ww I handled the bad news surprisingly well.
My husband and I are seeing an acupuncturist and taking herbs – they really helped improve his sperm count, which went from 25 mil to 65 mil – so that might be an avenue to explore.

implanted after one day

I was wondering if any of you have heard of having the fertilized eggs implanted 1 day after fertilization. We are having our second try with ICSI on Wed. Egg retrieval wed and implantation if successful on Friday. This is a change from a Saturday implantation. Dr. feels it is better to get into my body as quickly as possible to help with success. 40 y/o with not so good eggs last time, 3 removed none survived. 8 eggs this time 6 look good 2 not so good.

Yes, I had IVF w/ICSI - I had ER on a Wed, and ET (transfer) on a Friday. My 5 month old is the result! Good luck to you.

I give up

I am hating life and another 16,000.00 is out of the question I feel empty without hope my re said I have dor and my eggs are not good quality that they grow slow he was surprised that he got 11 only 9 were mature only 6 fertilized and 4 stopped growing he put 2 back in and :bfn: My dh said no more he is tired of it and said when will it end my heart is crushed :grr:

Failed IVF Oct. 2011

Hi, I am new to this FertilityCommunity.com. My husband and I have just went through IVF/ICIS/AH this Oct and it failed. I am just confused at this point as to what direction my life is going and not being abe to become a mother…and my heat is crushed. I am really needing some support from other people right now!!!

Me-27-Low ovarian reserve
Husband-28-Low sperm count and morphology

Oct 20, 2011 :bfn:

[quote=KYBaby]Hi, I am new to this FertilityCommunity.com. My husband and I have just went through IVF/ICIS/AH this Oct and it failed. I am just confused at this point as to what direction my life is going and not being abe to become a mother…and my heat is crushed. I am really needing some support from other people right now!!!

Me-27-Low ovarian reserve
Husband-28-Low sperm count and morphology

Oct 20, 2011 :bfn:[/quote]

Was this your first IVF? Many times it takes multiple attempts (unfortunately) before a successful pregnancy occurs. I would schedule a follow up appointment with your RE and see what s/he says could have been the issue. If you look at my signature, it took 2 IVFs and 2 FETs before we finally got our miracle babies. There are a lot of women here who are going through similar situations and I hope you find some support and the strength to persue your dream of motherhood!:flower:

[quote=UrzaNLuna]Was this your first IVF? Many times it takes multiple attempts (unfortunately) before a successful pregnancy occurs. I would schedule a follow up appointment with your RE and see what s/he says could have been the issue. If you look at my signature, it took 2 IVFs and 2 FETs before we finally got our miracle babies. There are a lot of women here who are going through similar situations and I hope you find some support and the strength to persue your dream of motherhood!:flower:[/quote

Yes, this was our first attempt at IVF. My husband and I are at a stage that we think that if it didn’t work the first time that it might not work the second time :(. We are going to follow up with our Dr. sometime this month and see what he says, but also thinking about interviewing with another Dr-but my husband thinks that it might get our hopes up :frowning: so we are not too for sure what to do??? It’s so hard because I work at an OB/GYN office and I deal with this everyday with my patients and dealing with it being thrown in my face everyday. The common quote I get everyday is “just quit thinking about it and it will happen”, this is so hard to do because I deal with it everyday!! We are not set on adoption, but have thought about it. My husband thinks we should wait a couple of years before we try IVF again, but we are not getting any younger and fertility declines with age. We are just stuck in a rut it feels like. Everyone in my family has kids besides us and it is really hard and going to get harder with all the holidays coming up :(.
I want to thank you for the reply to my thread and I am new to this so I hope I am doing this correctly!! Your hope gives me hope and I thank you!!!