Femara to Eliminate Follicles before IVF (PCOS)?

Hi everyone, I am new to posting here but have been reading the threads here for a few months. I have a question if anyone can offer some insight…

I have PCOS (and some other issues) and in August my RE advised IVF as our best chance to conceive. However, before we can start, my ovaries need to get back to “normal.” U/S showed that I have over 30 follicles per ovary so obviously we can’t start stimming yet until they are all gone. I have been on the Lupron Depot shot 1 time a month for the past three months. The Lupron is meant to shut my hormone production down (like menopause) and ideally the follicles would be reabsorbed.

I had my third shot two weeks ago and an u/s last week and unfortunately the follicles are not gone. :grr: My RE has put me on two weeks of Femara and he feels confident this will eliminate all remaining follicles and we should be able to start stimms on 11/18.

Has anyone ever used this protocal in a similar situation?

Thank you for any help or insight you can offer!!

Tara

[quote=tmorgan315]Hi everyone, I am new to posting here but have been reading the threads here for a few months. I have a question if anyone can offer some insight…

I have PCOS (and some other issues) and in August my RE advised IVF as our best chance to conceive. However, before we can start, my ovaries need to get back to “normal.” U/S showed that I have over 30 follicles per ovary so obviously we can’t start stimming yet until they are all gone. I have been on the Lupron Depot shot 1 time a month for the past three months. The Lupron is meant to shut my hormone production down (like menopause) and ideally the follicles would be reabsorbed.

I had my third shot two weeks ago and an u/s last week and unfortunately the follicles are not gone. :grr: My RE has put me on two weeks of Femara and he feels confident this will eliminate all remaining follicles and we should be able to start stimms on 11/18.

Has anyone ever used this protocal in a similar situation?

Thank you for any help or insight you can offer!!

Tara[/quote]

This is the first I have heard of that use of Femara. Femara typically causes follicles to develop, although the action is indirect.

Thank you, Ghost, for your response. My RE said that this was a new protocol for usage of Femara with PCOS patients. I guess as a general question, for women with PCOS having many follicles per ovary, how do RE’s proceed with stimms so as not to bring on OHSS?

At my clinic, you’d get stimmed like anybody else. You would not need as much FSH as most others because of your many follicles. We’d control your pituitary with ganirelix, not Lupron, and we’d trigger you with Lupron, instead of hCG. OHSS is virtually eliminated that way.

OHSS can be eliminated for women with PCOS by using Cetrotide/ganirelix from day 5-6 of stimming. thats how my RE controlled my ovaries from overstimulating. i had 23 follies in total which is also a lot, but was managable. I have not heard of femara being used for PCOS