Fertility clinics in California

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this board. I am currently living in Northern California. I had a failed fresh cycle in Feb and a FET in June ended up a chemical pregnancy. We did retrieve 16 eggs, 10 matured, and 5 made it to 5day blast(very good grade).

I am thinking to go to another RE and hoping I can get some recommendations here. The 2 places we are interested in my area are: Kaiser Fremont and Stanford. Unfortunately, it takes quite some time to have an appointment with Kaiser. I heard so many people said good things about Stanford, but their sart scores are not as good for my age group (38-40), only 22.1%.

We are also considering to go out of town, ie. HRC in Southern California, they have really good sart scores in 2011 ranging from 43.5 to 50% success rate, but I couldn’t find too many people on this board going to this clinic. Are there anyone here have experienced with HRC?

Another one that we might consider is ORM in Oregon, they have 51% success rate, but it is further away and probably more expensive.

How do you choose a clinic, do you base on sart scores?

When I was looking at RE’s I originally considered was ORM due to their great SART rates. My DH wanted us to go somewhere closer to home, at least initially, just to see what the RE said. We ended up choosing Standford, as will not necessary the best SART rates, there do seem to have lots of different protocols for patients.

We did 1 failed injectable IUI with them, before moving on to a successful IVF cycle. I’m currently 10wks & couldn’t speak highly enough if the staff & Dr Milki.

[QUOTE=sjc2013]Hello everyone,

I’m new to this board. I am currently living in Northern California. I had a failed fresh cycle in Feb and a FET in June ended up a chemical pregnancy. We did retrieve 16 eggs, 10 matured, and 5 made it to 5day blast(very good grade).

I am thinking to go to another RE and hoping I can get some recommendations here. The 2 places we are interested in my area are: Kaiser Fremont and Stanford. Unfortunately, it takes quite some time to have an appointment with Kaiser. I heard so many people said good things about Stanford, but their sart scores are not as good for my age group (38-40), only 22.1%.

We are also considering to go out of town, ie. HRC in Southern California, they have really good sart scores in 2011 ranging from 43.5 to 50% success rate, but I couldn’t find too many people on this board going to this clinic. Are there anyone here have experienced with HRC?

Another one that we might consider is ORM in Oregon, they have 51% success rate, but it is further away and probably more expensive.

How do you choose a clinic, do you base on sart scores?[/QUOTE]
Hi sjc: I am going to HRC. I am seeing Dr. Coffler at HRC in Oceanside. That is north county (San Diego). He is affiliated with HRC Newport Beach. I have to go to Newport Beach for my egg retrieval and embryo transfer. My friend saw Dr. Frederick at the Newport Beach office. She really liked her. So far I am having a good experience with them.

HRC Fertility Clinics & IVF Doctors | Newport Beach Orange County

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I went to HRC in Westlake Village and conceived my DS there on my second IUI. If the IUI had not worked we were originally going to do IVF at HRC. But I got looking at their SART stats (back then they actually had the 2009 and 2010 posted. Not sure where they went) and realized that their great success rate was mostly for younger women whose main issue was male factor problems. They had very few patients w/ diminished ovarian reserve (my issue). I would check the SART stats and sort by your particular issue to see which clinics have the best results.

For kid no. 2 we ended up doing IVF w/ Southern California Reproductive Center in Beverly Hills.

HRC (and Dr. Frederick) was my first clinic. I was very disappointed with them, actually. I felt like they were all about getting you to shell out $$. I went through 5 miscarriages with them and they never offered to do any testing; they just wanted us to do an IVF cycle and keep the money flowing. And since they don’t do any testing, they don’t do any personalization of protocols either.

Also, I felt like they were shady with respect to their success rates – their brochure had vastly inflated numbers vs what they were then reporting via SART. And since there’s no oversight with reporting, they can pretty much say anything they want…

We switched to Dr. Abdallah at American Reproductive Centers and got extensive testing done which revealed my clotting disorder and went on to have a successful IVF cycle.

I would say go to the best clinic you can afford for your diagnosis as it’s cheaper to have success in 1 or 2 tries vs 3+ at a lesser facility.

Good luck!

I actually had my IUI’s and IVF through Kaiser Santa Clara which does some of the monitoring and the actual IVF retrievals and transfers at Kaiser Fremont.

I agree it does take a long time to get the first appt but after that they are very good about scheduling all following appointments. The nurses and doctor’s were great and I loved my RE Dr. Harris at Kaiser Santa Clara. He was always so kind and gentle and even though my body wasn’t cooperating with his official “week” for procedures for that month, he didn’t make me cancel my cycle or switch to one of the other RE’s.

I liked them and it did work for me but based on what I’ve read about some of these other clinics like CCRM they are not exactly at the very cutting edge of things.

The numbers at Kaiser Fremont/Santa Clara are one of the best in the bay area based on just the SART scores and I would recommend them if you’re willing to wait. I know these things are so time sensitive though so I wish you best of luck in whatever you choose.

[quote=sjc2013]Hello everyone,

How do you choose a clinic, do you base on sart scores?[/quote]
I would definitely think about going with Kaiser. I used the clinic here in Sacramento and there really isn’t much of a wait at all if you’re up for traveling… they just ask that you fill out a questionaire and do your testing first- SA, blood tests and HSG then they get you right in to the office for a consult. Kaiser has been amazing for us and the staff truly go above and beyond to support you 100% of the way. If you’re interested I have their direct number just let me know.

Also I wouldn’t base your choice solely on SART ratings… a lot of clinics manipulate their success rates by refusing to take a lot of patients who they believe might not have good chances, thats how they keep their score high. Just something to think about

I also had negative experiences with HRC and Dr Potter at the Fullerton office. They were hard to get a hold of, had a high rate of staff turnover, and really wanted to push me into treatment I wasn’t ready for. I ended up going to Pacific Reproductive in Torrance with Dr R Salem. He doesn’t have a fantastic bedside manner (his daughter Dr S Salem does!) but he has been doing ivf for 20+ years and has excellent SART reports.

Reproductive Partners UC San Diego

Thank you all for the replies. It is very difficult to choose a clinic. They all have their pros and cons.

I am thinking if I am going to stay in my area, I will probably go with Kaiser or remain with my current RE from RSC. Their SART rates are very close to Kaiser.

Have anyone experienced with Reproductive Partners UC San Diego?

Hey SJ

I do not recommend Stanford. I had 1 fresh and 2 FET fail with DR. Westphal. Dr. Milki did mention a possible hydro that Dr. Westphal ignored and they transferred all 5 of my perfect embies into a toxic environment resulting in 3 BFN’s.

I now go to Dr. Wachs at RSC of the Bay Area and absolutely LOVE her!!!

Ask about the EPP protocol.

Good luck and baby dust to you!!!:babydust:

I wouldn’t choose a clinic based on SART scores either for the reason Lilly87 stated.

Talk to Dr. Zouves at Zouves Fertility Center in Foster City. He provides a free 30 minute telephone consult. I asked both my OB and PCP about Dr. Zouves and both had glowing things to say about him. My OB said Dr. Zouves is considered unconventional because he tests for immunological issues (a lot of doctors don’t believe in immunological issues) BUT the proof is in the pudding, and Dr. Zouves has managed to get patients of his pregnant who were otherwise unsuccessful at other clinics.

I’ve heard negative things about Stanford and PAMF Palo Alto.

San Diego

Hey Sj - I’ve had a great experience with Rep Partners UCSD. FET is scheduled for August so can’t say for sure that its going to work first try but 4 out of 4 eggs fertilized and made it to 5 days. I’m quietly optimistic. They seemed to pick the perfect drug regime for our situation.

I am also a big fan of UCSD! I switched to this clinic after many failed attempts at another clinic.

Scotty73- I was on the same protocol as you and also had 4 blasts that we froze at 5 days. Had my fet end of July and today i got my good news!!