Fertilization Report-Devastated :(

Hey everyone. Looking for some insight as I’m totally lost due to poor fertilization report. :frowning:

My husband and I have been TTC #3 for two years. We have two children together ages 4 & 5. Each were conceived naturally after 1 month of trying. Had a chemical pregnancy on a natural cycle about a year ago. We have done a couple IUIs with clomid/Femara, all BFN. We finally bit the bullet and moved onto IVF.

Stimming wasn’t uneventual. I started with 150 follistim and 10 low dose hcg for 5 days. My 5th day on stims ultrasound showed 11 measureable follices with 16 being the largest. Nurse called me in the afternoon on the 5th day after bloodwork results and instructed me to take a ganirelix immediately. She also upped my follistim to 225. I stayed on this combination (follistim, low dose hcg and ganirelix for another 5 days, so 10 days total of stims).

Every time, I went in for an ultrasound more follicles were measurable and all were growing nicely. The first snag occurred when the doctor called me on day 8 of stims and told me that we wouldn’t be able to do a fresh transfer because my progresterone spiked to 2.1. I was bummed, but was okay with doing a FET as my follicles were growing so nicely. I was worried about triggering too late, but he ensured me that I wasn’t ready yet as I had a good number of follicles (a few 16-18s, but most 12 and 13s), but not mature yet. I stimmed for 2 more days on same dosage except upped the low dose hcg to 15. Progesterone level remained the same. My levels at the day of trigger were E2: 2900, FSH 17, Progesterone: 2.1 and LH <1.

I just had my egg retrieval on Tuesday and the RE was so pleased to recover 22 mature eggs. He did tell my husband that something weird happened with my lining as it dropped to only a 4, but I wasn’t overly concerned since I was doing a freeze all. Still puzzeling why that would occur, but my husband and I were so happy until I got the dreaded phone call today to tell me that only 2 of the 22 eggs fertilized! We are in utter shock.

How could fertilization be our problem? We have two kids together, in which we conceived naturally quite easily. Because of that we didn’t do ISCI. My husband has had multiple semen analyses and they have all come back fine.

The embryologist is so puzzled. She said she sees the sperm swimming around, but there are no signs of fertilization and my eggs look good. I wish we did ISCI, but since there didn’t appear to be a sperm issue it wasn’t recommended.

Why didn’t they try rescue ISCI at that point? Has that ever worked for anyone here? Why would something like this happen? Poor egg equality? A sperm issue? Poor protocol? Did I stim too long and my eggs were fried? I’m just at such a loss. They will call me tomorrow to give me an update on if there was any late fertilizations. This is devastating to us, especially since we payed out of pocket for all of it. :frowning:

Seems you are in a complicated situation. I am sorry that you have to go through this. I can say that I am nearly in your situation too. I conceived my first born naturally. Then after 2 years some problems came up. While I was TTC my 2nd born. It took me long than expected. So I decided to go and see a doctor in Bio tex, Kiev. I was told that my eggs were not fertile. I was so shocked. Because my first child never gave me any kind of difficulties. So I was given a list of solutions. I never wanted to use donor eggs. I felt it could be awkward having a child that is not genetically me. I had to pass through all the available options. I decided to start eating healthy. I was told the meal that I took also contributed to the health of my eggs. However, it was going to be a strong journey. But finally I decided to settle for IVF with own eggs. it worked out. I was so happy. My child now is healthy and kicking strong. I really hope that you find the solution to your problem.

I am also amazed. Why are the sperms moving around without fertilizing your egg. The doctor should have been so straight with you. To tell you what is going on. I have been through infertility. So I can understand what you are going through right now. It seems complicated but I believe you will pass through. I had uterus cancer before I got married. So during the operation a big junk of my uterus was removed. I was so devastated. I knew what this meant and I felt like it was the end of the world. But later on my husband and I decided to try on surrogacy in Bio tex. The procedure was successful and I am now a mother. You should just find a good clinic. I am sure there is a solution for you outside there. Never stop searching for what will give you satisfaction.

Your story is long but I managed to read it all. Sorry for going through what you are going through. But I always believe that there is a solution to everything. Now that you have 2 children already. I don’t think if you have much to worry about. You should focus on how to move on. How the sperms are moving without fertilizing the eggs is also funny. Have you tried to see a spermatologists? Maybe there might be a better answer to that, Whether its the quality of the sperms or what. You have to know exactly what is going on. Staying in the dark will not help. I always believe pointing out your problem helps a lot. As is from there that you will get a solution. Do not give up looking for the answer. Bio tex clinic does a pretty good job with fertility. You maybe would want to reconsider your destination of treatment.

I am also amazed. Why are the sperms moving around without fertilizing your egg. The doctor should have been so straight with you. To tell you what is going on. I have been through infertility. So I can understand what you are going through right now. It seems complicated but I believe you will pass through. I had uterus cancer before I got married. So during the operation a big junk of my uterus was removed. I was so devastated. I knew what this meant and I felt like it was the end of the world. But later on my husband and I decided to try on surrogacy in Bio tex. Incase you need more information you can get here

. The procedure was successful and I am now a mother. You should just find a good clinic. I am sure there is a solution for you outside there. Never stop searching for what will give you satisfaction.

Seems you are in a complicated situation. I am sorry that you have to go through this. I can say that I am nearly in your situation too. I conceived my first born naturally. Then after 2 years some problems came up. While I was TTC my 2nd born. It took me long than expected. So I decided to go and see a doctor in Bio tex, Kiev. They have such quality services at affordable prices that they are even running out of the economy package. I was told that my eggs were not fertile. I was so shocked. Because my first child never gave me any kind of difficulties. So I was given a list of solutions. I never wanted to use donor eggs. I felt it could be awkward having a child that is not genetically me. I had to pass through all the available options. I decided to start eating healthy. I was told the meal that I took also contributed to the health of my eggs. However, it was going to be a strong journey. But finally I decided to settle for IVF with own eggs. it worked out. I was so happy. My child now is healthy and kicking strong. I really hope that you find the solution to your problem.

How could fertilization be our problem? We have two kids together, in which we conceived naturally quite easily. Because of that we didn’t do ISCI. My husband has had multiple semen analyses and they have all come back fine.

it might happen cos of more advanced maternal age, and might be connected with chromosomal aneuploidies that are usually detected with the help of PGS NGS

I’m sorry, hun, and greatly amazed too. Sounds very strange. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
This is what my Dr explained on the point.
Human reproduction is not very efficient, and there is a lot of wastage in the process. As a result of fertilisation, the single set of 23 chromosomes from the egg combines with the single set of 23 from the sperm to create a zygote . This is still a single cell (the fertilised egg ) BUT now it has 2 sets of chromosomes, or 46 chromosomes). This zygote then divides serially to produce progressively more cells , resulting in an embryo , which continues to develop into a baby if all goes well. And it won’t if there are chromosomal abnormalties.
In ICSI, a single sperm is injected into each egg on an inverted microscope. This technique eliminates the need for the sperm to dissolve a path through the shell of the egg and to bind to the egg membrane. Some sperm do not have these capabilities ( which is why they will not be able to fertilise the egg on their own) . ICSI allows to give these sperm a "piggy back ride "into the egg, to ensure that fertilisation will occur. Over 70% of mature eggs fertilise after ICSI in a good lab.
I believe you should consider ICSI as your next step. Wish you all the best of luck!

The pressure to raise a family can be enormous. And the thought of not being able to have children can make many people feel something is wrong with them. Resist the temptation to get angry with yourself or listen to the little voice in your head that says negative things like. “I shouldn’t have waited. I’m being punished for terminating that pregnancy. I should have lost more weight or taken better care of my health.” This doesn’t mean you need to feel the same thing at the same time. Expecting to have the same emotional experience or ways of coping is one of the most common pitfalls for couples facing fertility problems. It does mean paying attention to what your partner’s going through. If you’re taking care of each other emotionally. You can unite to fight the problem. Work together to find practical ways to share the burden. If you’re undergoing treatment. Your partner can take care of the insurance paperwork. If one of you needs injected therapy, the other can administer the shots.

Hi! I totally agree. Whilst going through fertility treatments it’s important to have one another for support. me then - 40 yo, dh - 42 yo. ttc since 2014. Our struggle history includes 2 failed ivf shots with OE, 1 failed ivf with DE, 1 successful DE ivf cycle. All this time dh was rock of support for me. Furthermore at the very start of the treatments I had him for doing injectables for a week or two to get adjusted to them. Working together is precious!