FET-Retrieval Bloat-Questions/Concerns

Hello all,
So I received some disappointing news today after my husband and I went to my final appt. before my scheduled retrieval. I have produced such a high number of follicles (plus am very thin and under 35, apparently two other risk factors) so instead of doing a fresh transfer, we are going to be freezing our eggs and doing an FET further down the road. Also, my lining wasn’t looking promising for doing a fresh transfer.

My question is, I am feeling very miserable and bloated. I am worried about developing OHSS after my retrieval Sunday since I am high risk, however, I’ve heard it would be too risky to continue with a fresh cycle after my retrieval (it can cause OHSS to flare up) So my question is, about how long can I expect the pain and bloating to stick around after my retrieval on Sunday, if I am discontinuing meds and not going on with a fresh cycle. We will freeze and try in a few months. If anyone could give me insight into this, I would appreciate it. I just need my body back mentally and physically before continuing with our frozen cycle…mostly because I’m so heartbroken we are no longer doing a fresh cycle, that I can’t imagine jumping right back into anything.

So after my retrieval Sunday, since I’m not going straight into transfer, when should the bloat and pain that everyone talks about subside? I’ve heard some people get better, then worse again after transfer…so I was wondering if I would feel like myself sooner since I am not doing a transfer.

Anyone have experience with this? Sorry, now I’m rambling. I could just cry right now because nothing is working how I’d hoped. Hope to hear from someone soon that has had a similar situation… <3

What a lucky break for you!!! Seriously! FETs have a higher success rate than fresh transfers. Google it. You’re going to look back on this as a blessing in disguise.

My understanding with the mild OHSS is that you’ll feel a lot better when you get your period.

Good luck.

Hi BMbrink -

I developed OOHS after a retrieval and fresh transfer (young and thin, too). OUCH! My stomach swelled up so fast, it actually gave me hernia - which I still need to have surgically repaired! So, it’s not such a terrible thing to cancel the fresh transfer. Although I understand your dissapointment. More time, more time when we just want to be preggers NOW!

It should get better after retrieval, but it will be a couple of weeks before all soreness goes away. The reason it can get worse after a fresh transfer is (I think) pregnancy. If you don’t get pg, you won’t have bad OOHS. However, if you did conceive and your ovaries start trying to fill up and pump out hormones, you could be in some trouble. (this is more or less how my nurse told me I was pregnant before I got the beta - I was in misery!)

The FET is far less demanding on your body. You will be much more comfortable and relaxed. So, there are some benefits. Congrats on your bumper crop of follies! Woo hoo!

Bmbrink316

OHSS is the worse…I.am currently in the hospital for this condition. My belly was so bloated and swollen it looked as if I were already pregnant! My RE even.gave me medicine to reduce the chance for OHSS but it found its way to me. Also as far as the time my RE said it last about 7 to 10 days…but I have read stories where it was longer! Also I developed fluid which had to be drained and I was hospitalized on the 21st of this month. We were going to do the transfer but I was strongly advised to freeze my embryos and my RE said sometimes FET can have a higher success rate so I am kinda happy about that! Well hope you feel better and I wish you all the luck!

I really appreciate all the support. It looks like with our insurance, we will freeze and do transfer in about a year. We have to save some money, figure out some things, and my husband and I are just going to take some time to re-connect and not rush into another round of anything. This whole process is much more physically, emotionally, and financially draining than most people think (though I know all of you understand, some members of my family do not). It does not help that my little sister in high school is pregnant and due in a month, and some people think I am being selfish trying to get pregnant now, even though my husband and I have been trying since we got married almost 2 years ago, and we’ve been together for 9 years.
I just hope I don’t develop severe OHSS, and I hope they get some good eggies to freeze tomorrow at my retrieval :slight_smile: I would have hated to have gone through these past few months of medications to get ready for transfer, to end up with nothing. I’m crossing my fingers I will get some good snow babies to freeze and my husband and I can look forward to transferring a year from now. Wish me luck.

Any more responses as to when the bloat and pain from retrieval or anyone’s experience with this is appreciated greatly :smiley:

[QUOTE=bmbrink316]I really appreciate all the support. It looks like with our insurance, we will freeze and do transfer in about a year. We have to save some money, figure out some things, and my husband and I are just going to take some time to re-connect and not rush into another round of anything. This whole process is much more physically, emotionally, and financially draining than most people think (though I know all of you understand, some members of my family do not). It does not help that my little sister in high school is pregnant and due in a month, and some people think I am being selfish trying to get pregnant now, even though my husband and I have been trying since we got married almost 2 years ago, and we’ve been together for 9 years.
I just hope I don’t develop severe OHSS, and I hope they get some good eggies to freeze tomorrow at my retrieval :slight_smile: I would have hated to have gone through these past few months of medications to get ready for transfer, to end up with nothing. I’m crossing my fingers I will get some good snow babies to freeze and my husband and I can look forward to transferring a year from now. Wish me luck.

Any more responses as to when the bloat and pain from retrieval or anyone’s experience with this is appreciated greatly :-D[/QUOTE]

My nurse gave me the advice to drink lots of gatorade and eat a lot of protein to help with OHSS I think thats all I ate after ER. I never developed it but was very bloated and uncomfortable up until a day before my transfer which was a 5day. Be encouraged. Im about to do a FET next week and I can tell while the process takes the same amount of time, you put your body through much less stress.