FET stories and information needed!

Hi everyone - I’m new to this FET board but have been on the IVF one for a few months. I had my ER almost two weeks ago for my first IVF (issue is a previous tubal ligation) and had a great response. Out of the 12 fertilized eggs, though, only 5 embryos were worthy of transfer or freezing. I had the best one transferred on Nov. 5 and the other four are frozen.

Yesterday I started :af: , even though I’m on progesterone and my beta is not till Tuesday. I know it’s a full out period, for sure. The nurse said I should still get my beta done Tuesday, then meet with the doctor and plan next steps.

I’d like to do a frozen transfer of two embryos as soon as possible. A couple of questions:

How soon can I do the transfer? Do most doctors make you wait a full cycle in between, or is a December transfer possible for me?

How successful are FET’s? I have heard less so than fresh and that makes me nervous… since I had a TL we are all out of pocket, and we only paid for/can afford the one fresh and frozen package we took out. If this frozen doesn’t work, that’s it, sadly. I don’t even want to think about that.

Thanks for any info. you can give me. This whole process has been extremely hard, especially emotionally. I just am crushed to think we may have spent all this money and have nothing to show for it in the end. Any hopeful stories out there? Thanks, ladies. This site has been so helpful for me!

Welcome to the FET boards! I’m sorry your transfer didn’t work, I know how hard that is. I’ve heard that FET are supposed to be less successful as well but I don’t believe it. I’ve had 4 transfers (1 fresh and 3 frozen) and I fell on all of the frozen ones but not on the fresh one. I believe it’s more likely to work because with the frozen transfers you don’t need as many medications or surgery.

Providing you don’t have any signs of OHSS, I don’t see why you can’t jump straight into a new cycle. I’m from Australia so it may be different over there but here they would do it.

Wishing you all the best. :grouphug:

Wish - Don’t count yourself out yet. I had what I thought was a full on period 2 days before my beta, but it turned out to be implantation bleeding. That was for my most recent FET, and I’m currently 15 weeks pregnant with twins!

Also, depending on your clinic’s freezing/thawing process, the success rates are comparable to fresh.

Best of luck!

Hi wishfor1more :

I did an IVF cycle last July, the fresh transfer didn’t work (I had a BFN) and I did the FET the following month, (no break ) and I am 16 weeks pregnant with twins . My clinic did the new technique for freezing so my embryos were both thawed 100% successfully and they were good as the fresh .My re thought I can do the FET right away as my body response to stimulation treatment was poor anyway (no OHSS)

Good luck dear and I hope ur beta be positive .:pray:

I had implantaiton bleeding early (but it was right after my 10 day Betas (and other bleeding episodes during both my pregnancies (one fresh= twins at 33 weeks and one frozen single embie transfer= singleton due in about 3-4 wks).

My clinic has similar if not better success rates with FET (less manipulation of the body hormonally)…would you consider implanting 3 or your 4 embryos for a better chance?
have u thought about POAS before Tues?
Good luck!

Thank you

Thanks everyone for the information and for sharing. It has been a rough weekend, not just because I’m sad my one embryo didn’t make it, but because I’m just sad and angry in general with what we women have to go through sometimes in the name of fertility. I know no one is twisting our arms and making us do anything, but we have a right to feel our family is incomplete or to want kids in general. And the road is not always easy or kind as we go along this process.

Wantw - I have thought of even three embryos, but not four, yikes!! I don’t even think my clinic would do three. For my age group and for being healthy with a successful history, two seems to be the usual number.

Eimy - Good to know you didn’t have a break and it worked. I feel I’m better off to just keep plowing ahead. I wonder if the frozen being easier on the body, no surgery, etc, will help me in the end? We shall see…

Keep the good news coming, ladies, if anyone else has more!!

hey there, I am new to this as well…I am scheduled for my first FET on December 8th and I have no clue what to expect…I have 11 frozen embies and I started my Lupron today and I have my baseline US and E2 on November 23rd, and I don’t even know what that means…I am on birth control pills until November 18th

You and I are pretty much on the same track for our IVF cycle. That is pretty cool.

I really wouldn’t give up hope yet. I too have had some doubt. I have taken two early home pregnancy tests because I am very impatient. I would have thought by now that I would be getting a BFP but they keep coming up negative. My beta is scheduled for 10.17.10.

I haven’t had any signs of pregnancy or implantation. The only think I have had are some headaches and slight nausea but I am also dealing with an ear infection right now which I think is causing most of the symptoms I have.

I am pretty sure they can do FET the very next month. However I would also like to know what is involved with a FET especially meds and such.

Stay Positive

I had a previous tubal ligation 15 yrs ago, recently had a failed fresh cycle working now on the frozen cycle. I have an appt on Nov 24th although the doc only gave me a 20% chance of success I believe this time it will be successful.:pray:

I will keep you posted, I also read that eating a pineapple core after the transfer helps with implantation and accupuncture. I am trying both and praying it works. Stay positive it will happen :clap:

Read my signature so you can see the history of my fresh cycle, I already called my re to start the frozen cycle don’t want to wait too long.

Curious?

For those of you who have done it, would you say that a FET is much easier than a fresh cycle? And were more people successful with Frozen over fresh?

It is difficult to say one is better over the other , Fresh will be more stressful because of the stimulation medications , the pickup procedure and of course expensive , the FET will be easier (as there is no stimulation or procedure involved )
Regarding success rates , Fresh is better but if the freezing done with the new technique , the embryos will be as fresh after the thaw and the success rate can be the same as fresh .
For me , I had one successful fresh cycle (6 yrs ago twins) and another FET from last July cycle (twins also )

Hope that I helped and best of luck …

Hi. I just wanted to throw in my story. I started the IVF cycle in August, my RE knew that I would be in high risk for OHSS so, the plan he did was to grow as many follicles as possible, ER, freeze all the embryos and then go in to do a FET. When my RE went over this prodecure with me, I was upset that I would not have a fresh transfer. The theory is to prevent severe OHSS and if you have OHSS, your uterus is not conducive for implantation. See my signature line…my estrogen was so high, even if the RE did do a fresh ET I would have been hospitalized of severe OHSS. Also, during the IVF simmulating process my uterus was not where it should be for the embryo to implant because my estrogen was too high. At my clinic the FET’s are almost as good as the fresh. I also had to wait for one AF after the ER before I could start my FET cycle. Today I am pregnant so, FET can work you just have to have a good RE, a good clinic and stay positive.

FET much easier on me than Fresh (no stims or retrevial) but I was on the PIO injections longer once it worked with FET–those get really tedious…Both my Fresh and my FET worked! Good luck!

I got a :bfn: today with my beta. It was heartbreaking to say the least and I don’t think I’ve been able to stop crying for very long. :grr:

I told the nurse that we want to do FET right away and she is reviewing the chart with the RE and will get back to us.

I just can’t believe that with everything we have gone through with IVF that it didn’t take. Especially since we were told that I wasn’t the factor. We thought that my husband carried the infertility issues and not me. I’m mad and hurt all at the same time.

My BFF and DH took me out to lunch and we had a good time eventhough I cried half the time. The hard part is going to be telling my 9 year old daughter after school today. She is going to be devastated for sure. Hopefully we will get word soon about possible FET.

All my thanks and best wishes to all. I look forward to reading about your expereinces with FET and hopefully can share my own story.

Alison

Myonewish- I am so sorry that it didn’t work for you this time. Try to stay positive even though it’s hard…it can work. You are in my thoughts…sending you lots of hugs.:grouphug:

[quote=myonewish]I got a :bfn: today with my beta. It was heartbreaking to say the least and I don’t think I’ve been able to stop crying for very long. :grr:

I told the nurse that we want to do FET right away and she is reviewing the chart with the RE and will get back to us.

I just can’t believe that with everything we have gone through with IVF that it didn’t take. Especially since we were told that I wasn’t the factor. We thought that my husband carried the infertility issues and not me. I’m mad and hurt all at the same time.

My BFF and DH took me out to lunch and we had a good time eventhough I cried half the time. The hard part is going to be telling my 9 year old daughter after school today. She is going to be devastated for sure. Hopefully we will get word soon about possible FET.

All my thanks and best wishes to all. I look forward to reading about your expereinces with FET and hopefully can share my own story.

Alison[/quote]

Dear Alison ,
So sorry for your BFN , I know it is hard but just think that it is not meant to be this cycle or those embies are not the one meant to come to this life . I wish you all the best in the FET and maybe it will be the one (like mine , you never know )
Good luck :grouphug: