FET with a cold


#1

So I have a sFET scheduled for this Saturday the 7th and I’ve been battling a cold; I’ve been congested since Sunday & a sore throat started last night. Besides that I’m fine, no fever or anything. I talked to my RE and he said that I can only take tylenol or advil, no mucinex or anything and if I’m still not feeling well by Saturday that we may have to reschedule my transfer, especially if I have a fever. (which I don’t) I’m in tears because I’m so afraid that I won’t feel better by then.

Has anyone had a transfer when you had a cold and it was successful? If you were me what would you do?


#2

MY LAST FET IN OCT/NOV I HAD A MILD COLD WITH NO FEVER AND THE RE STILL WENT A HEAD WITH IT AND I DID GET A :bfp: BUT MISCARRIED LATER SO I THINK YOU WILL BE OK BUT I WOULD GO WITH WHAT YOUR RE THINKS IS BEST!! THEY GAVE ME A LOW DOSE OF NORCO TO TAKE AT NIGHT FOR COUGH SO I COULD SLEEP I ONLY TOOK IT ONE NIGHT AND THAT ONE NIGHT OF SLEEP HELPED AND I FELT TEN TIMES BETTER :slight_smile: GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!:pray:
I AM HAVE ER ON SUNDAY SO I WILL BE CLOSE TO YOU!! :grouphug:


#3

I know that it is really hard, but, if you are still sick, I might wait if I were you. My husband and I were worried to do IVF in the winter because of colds. I’m off cycle right now, scheduled to do an FET in Feb, and, I also have a cold! I was glad it came now instead of then.

Last year, my husband and I did a fresh cycle and in the middle of it, we both got the flu, with fevers, and, my RE didn’t cancel the cycle, and it didn’t work, so, I almost wished he did cancel it because my insurance only covered a certain number and I wished we didn’t go through with that cycle.

That being said, your cold shouldn’t really effect your uterine lining, right? If you can tolerate not taking any meds, then you could go through with it. In some ways, if the embryo is competent, then, I feel like it will implant no matter whether you are sick or not. What do you think you’ll do?

Take care,
Sara


#4

Thanks for responding ladies!

I think I’ll just wait out the next 2 days and see how I feel Friday afternoon. I’m loading up on vitamin c and drinking a lot of fluids & I keep checking my temp but it’s 97.7 which is my normal temp.

Mack1e’smom- I feel the same way as you, I feel like if it’s a competent embryo then it’ll stick regardless. I think of it this way…how many women get pregnant naturally when they have a cold? Plenty!

KRISTI30- I’m so sorry you miscarried :frowning: I wish you the best of luck this cycle! If I go ahead with the transfer we could be cycle buddies!


#5

I would reschedule for sure. We found out my hubby had a sperm issue and so our last IVF we did ICSI and the quality was night and day. We had a perfect embryo. But I got a cold before IVF and it did not work. I was coughing and sneezing and etc and could feel my tummy tightening every time. Certainly not good when you have an embie floating around in there before implantaion. Also not good for implantation if you have an immune reaction going on.

Doesn’t hurt anything to reschedule…could hurt something if you don’t. So why chance it. There are Sooooooo many other things in this process that we can’t control…


#6

I would personally think about rescheduling. I had a recent IVF where I got really sick with a sinus infection 2 days after transfer. I was totally miserable and was coughing so harshly my whole body would spasm. I also worried all the time about my stomach muscles clenching when my embryos were trying to settle in. I ended up with a BFN. Ultimately I will never know whether that had any effect on my outcome or not but I’ll always wonder. So the question is are you going to feel regret about going ahead if things don’t work out? As disappointing and frustrating as it is to postpone when your emotionally psyched and ready, it would be even more so to have a bfn over something you could control. Just my two cents…


#7

I was diagnosed with strept throat several days after my transfer and was pregnant with twins.

I say do whatever makes you feel most comfortable.


#8

Thanks ladies!

Hellokitty36- I think I’m going to wonder “what if” either way. If I decide to reschedule I’m gonna doubt my decision and if I go forward I’m going to doubt it to.

WICC- Congratulations! Were you able to take antibiotics for the strep?

The good news is that I’m feeling better today than I did yesterday. The sore throat is gone but I’m still congested. When I woke up this morning I garggled, drank a V8, an emergen-c packet and now I’m drinking hot tea with lemon & honey. The hardest part is not being able to take anything for the congestion so I didn’t sleep well last night. But, it’ll be the same way once I’m pregnant so I better get used to it! If I feel good tomorrow then I’ll transfer Saturday morning.


#9

I’m so glad you are starting to feel better! Go ahead and order a humidifier because you’ll need one to breath once your preggo! :slight_smile:

Yes, I was able to antibiotics - amoxicillin. I worried about my fever getting too high, so I took tylenol to reduce my fever. It scared me to death, but everything turned out perfect in the end. It’s funny what we worry about because we work so hard to get pregnant.

Good luck with your transfer. :babydust:


#10

Sneezing and coughing from a cold while you are waiting on implantation should not affect it. the uterus is like a jelly sandwich…its squished together so the embys arent really floating in wide open space. besides if you read studies, bed rest and lack of activity can hinder implantation since your uterus needs moving air to assist in implantation. At least this is what my RE told me and showed me the studies. cough away! good luck!!! :bsv:


#11

I came down w/ a wicked cold the day before our ET!! I was so scared, too, and also didn’t want to postpone it (for various reasons). I kept checking my temp and it was normal and I loaded up on Vitamin C, water, tea, etc. like you’re doing.

I hope I don’t jinx myself, but I did get a BFP on 12/28. My first beta was 53, second was 183, and third was 1,582. We go for an u/s tomorrow to check to make sure everything is where it belongs. So, I do realized we’re not out of the woods just yet, but the cold didn’t seem to have much of an influence. Course, we never really do know why our babies stick or don’t stick!!

That being said, I agree w/ the PP who says to do what makes you most comfortable. I, too, had the same fears you do, so I just wanted to be a little voice of reassurance if you do decide to go through w/ it :slight_smile:

Standing in a hot, steamy shower helped me w/ the congestion. Also, I put Vicks on my chest before bed.

Good luck on whatever you decide! :slight_smile:


#12

waitingwomb- GLAD YOU ARE FEELING BETTER!!! :cheer: I WOULD LOVE TO BE CYCLE BUDDIES WITH YOU TOO SO KEEP ME UPDATED!!!:clap: :grouphug:


#13

Thanks again for all of the responses ladies! I’m still gargling every few hours and drinking lots of tea. My acupuncturist also gave me some elderberry to take to help fight this cold. I just made some homemade chicken noodle soup too & I’m hoping I feel even better tomorrow!

NWhite- Thankfully I’m not coughing, I’m just super congested and sneezing. So, my uterus will be a movin’! Congrats on your :bfp: ! Twins! You must be so excited!

aparksmama- Thank you so much for your story, it did give me some reassurance and Congratulations! Did your RE say anything about you having a cold during ET?

KRISTI30- Thank you! We’ll have to keep in touch! Good luck with your transfer on Sunday!


#14

Hi There,

Just wanted to add myself in the “got preggo” category even with a cold. I had asked the nurse a couple of times if it was still ok and they said it’s fine. Like another poster said, the uterus is a jelly-like sandwich and won’t float away. I actually had a coughing fit and needed water in the resting area after transfer and one still stuck.


#15

Karenttc thank you for your story & congratulations! From my research and what you ladies have said it seems that as long as a fever isn’t present then it should be ok to transfer.


#16

My RE wasn’t concerned at all about the cold. She was just worried about whether I felt OK and gave me some tips for getting some relief. She said as long as there is no fever, it’s no biggie.

Good luck!!! You’ll be in my prayers!


#17

[quote=aparksmama]My RE wasn’t concerned at all about the cold. She was just worried about whether I felt OK and gave me some tips for getting some relief. She said as long as there is no fever, it’s no biggie.

Good luck!!! You’ll be in my prayers![/quote]

Thank you so much!