FET with absolutely no meds???

Hi,
I am 36 with one blocked Fallopian tube. I have a fairly regular cycle (28-32 days). I have so far and one failed IUI and one failed fresh IVF. I transferred 2 5-day blastocysts of medium grade and neither stuck. We were able to freeze 4 embryos.
I went to my RE today for next steps, and he said we will thaw 2 and there is a 90% chance both survive. In the event that 1 survives, we transfer 1, but hopefully 2. :cross:

The thing that got me is this…he said we will do a completely natural cycle…with absolutely no meds. Not even progesterone. They will monitor my ovulation.

I am literally freaking out about this today and its all I can think of. I have not read many ladies doing this. I am so scared we will “waste” this upcoming cycle in July/August. I convinced myself that I would need injections to get pregnant and the success stories I know with FET involved meds, so I am scared. Does anyone know more about this completely natural cycle and if it can be successful??

Hi,

I live in Sweden and a completely unmedicated FET like the one you described is the standard procedure followed (for women with regular cycles) in the IVF clinic at one of the major hospitals here, so I guess they have had considerable success with it.

I had 2 completely unmedicated FETs myself, got pregnant on one but it turned out to be a chemical pregnancy.

If you are unsure about this procedure, I would suggest you ask your clinic about their success rates using this method and why they think it is a better choice than a medicated FET. Much better to clarify things now than to have doubts later.

Good luck with your FET :flower:

[QUOTE=wantbabiesnow]Hi,

I live in Sweden and a completely unmedicated FET like the one you described is the standard procedure followed (for women with regular cycles) in the IVF clinic at one of the major hospitals here, so I guess they have had considerable success with it.

I had 2 completely unmedicated FETs myself, got pregnant on one but it turned out to be a chemical pregnancy.

If you are unsure about this procedure, I would suggest you ask your clinic about their success rates using this method and why they think it is a better choice than a medicated FET. Much better to clarify things now than to have doubts later.

Good luck with your FET :flower:[/QUOTE]

Thanks wantbabiesnow, you are the only one that replied! I ended up talking to the nurse after doing some more research. I would feel better with progesterone at the very least so she said I could take that if I want. I’m not doing this until next month, but at least we are prepared!
Thanks for the reassurance though. I was told that typically when the sperm and egg meet, this kick starts the body to make more progesterone so the lining is built by the time the embryo reaches the uterus, so I feel better taking the progesterone even though it hurts!! At then end of it all, I don’t want any regrets!
Thanks!!

Im also doing a completely natural FET cycle…I do worry like you but I figure my RE is the expert, so have complete faith in him and his decisions, I test on the 28th so fingers crossed it has worked :slight_smile:

[quote=babyhope12]
Thanks for the reassurance though. [B]I was told that typically when the sperm and egg meet, this kick starts the body to make more progesterone[/B] so the lining is built by the time the embryo reaches the uterus, so I feel better taking the progesterone even though it hurts!! At then end of it all, I don’t want any regrets!
Thanks!![/quote]

I have never heard this but I know that your lining starts growing to prepare long before the sperm & egg meet (under normal circumstances)

but anywho…I had a natural FET, a successful one.

I was monitored for lining & ovulation and at ovulation I did start estrace & progesterone and then transferred a single blast 5 days later. You can see all my specifics in my signature. The point is to keep the transfer as close to your natural cycle as possible. My lining was already ready for an embryo when I ovulated…I was told that “over 8 is great” lol

Also as far as progesterone shots, if you have ‘normal’ cycles you shouldn’t really need PIO shots. Have them give you the vaginal suppositories. They are messy but way better than PIO shots.

[QUOTE=asher76]Im also doing a completely natural FET cycle…I do worry like you but I figure my RE is the expert, so have complete faith in him and his decisions, I test on the 28th so fingers crossed it has worked :)[/QUOTE]

Asher76, I’d love to know if the completely natural FET without progesterone worked!! Please keep me posted! It will help me on how to proceed!

[QUOTE=stm2009]I have never heard this but I know that your lining starts growing to prepare long before the sperm & egg meet (under normal circumstances)

but anywho…I had a natural FET, a successful one.

I was monitored for lining & ovulation and at ovulation I did start estrace & progesterone and then transferred a single blast 5 days later. You can see all my specifics in my signature. The point is to keep the transfer as close to your natural cycle as possible. My lining was already ready for an embryo when I ovulated…I was told that “over 8 is great” lol

Also as far as progesterone shots, if you have ‘normal’ cycles you shouldn’t really need PIO shots. Have them give you the vaginal suppositories. They are messy but way better than PIO shots.[/QUOTE]

Congrats STM2009! It sounds like you too progesterone! I will inquire about suppository, do you mind if I ask why are they messy? Leakage?

I was given nothing before ovulation though. And I’ve always taken progesterone following any kind of potential pregnancy, like my IUIs etc.

The suppositories are messy because they melt inside. So what I would do is set my alarm 10-15 mins early, put it in and lay back down. That way by the time I got in the shower the medication was absorbed. But I still had to wear a panty liner with every application.

[QUOTE=stm2009]I was given nothing before ovulation though. And I’ve always taken progesterone following any kind of potential pregnancy, like my IUIs etc.

The suppositories are messy because they melt inside. So what I would do is set my alarm 10-15 mins early, put it in and lay back down. That way by the time I got in the shower the medication was absorbed. But I still had to wear a panty liner with every application.[/QUOTE]

Very helpful tip! Thank you!!