Finally giving away all the gifted maternity clothes

I turned 40 two weeks ago and am slowly coming to terms with the idea that after almost 4 years of trying including numerous drug cycles, pin pricks and 5 IUI’s, we are going to be a “just two” of us without kids.

Part of my “therapy” today is finally donating the boxes of maternity clothes that have been sitting in my basement for YEARS after good friends passed them on to me (before we even started TTC). I thought it might be easy to purge, but it still stings a little.

Is there anyone else out there working on moving on from TTC? We did do a good job for my birthday by getting out of town and taking a big trip so that on my birthday I woke up in the wilderness of Torres del Paine National Park in Chile–something my friends with kids definitely can’t do right now. We’re trying to enjoy and appreciate all the freedoms that we do have, but some days are still harder than others.

What are you all doing to try to move on?

[quote=Hillary]I turned 40 two weeks ago and am slowly coming to terms with the idea that after almost 4 years of trying including numerous drug cycles, pin pricks and 5 IUI’s, we are going to be a “just two” of us without kids.

Part of my “therapy” today is finally donating the boxes of maternity clothes that have been sitting in my basement for YEARS after good friends passed them on to me (before we even started TTC). I thought it might be easy to purge, but it still stings a little.

Is there anyone else out there working on moving on from TTC? We did do a good job for my birthday by getting out of town and taking a big trip so that on my birthday I woke up in the wilderness of Torres del Paine National Park in Chile–something my friends with kids definitely can’t do right now. We’re trying to enjoy and appreciate all the freedoms that we do have, but some days are still harder than others.

What are you all doing to try to move on?[/quote]

I feel for you and also applaud you. What an important step you’re taking to help to heal yourself. I also think it’s great that you’re looking at what you DO have in a positive light. I’m sure there are many people with children that look at those who don’t with envy. I too have been trying to appreciate the fact that my DH and I can travel and do as we please, it doesn’t take the pain of being childless away, but it helps.

My DH and I have one more try for a bio baby and then we will probably call it quits. I have a box of baby clothes that I acquired a few years back- things that were just too cute to pass up. I will probably give them to friends who have babies. Part of me feels that if I give them away that I’m giving away the possibility of me ever having a baby, but I know that’s irrational. We also plan to do some major traveling- see things we’ve always wanted to and make some great memories. I just hope that I can keep baby off my brain so that I can enjoy the experiences.

Bravo to you for being so brave and inspirational! Best to you :slight_smile:

If you’re coming to terms with living childless, I certainly don’t want to muck up the works.

But if you’re looking for hope, we tried for 12 years (every test and treatment we could find) before we finally got our BFP … at age 42.

Best wishes to you!

While I’m a little different from you in that I was blessed enough the first go around (actually, I feel that it was quite a miracle) to wear my maternity clothes, I am starting to very slowly offer out items to friends who continue to get pregnant and have children.

We have been trying for 1.5 years to give our daughter a sibling and I’m getting tired. Mostly due to my husband not being on board as much as I am. You can’t force them to participate. He would love another child, but does not agree with throwing money at the problem.

So, we are at a crossroads. Part of me hopes that giving away that crib or some baby clothes/items, will be that twist of fate. Silly how we will hold on to anything - that is what this journey has taught me. :slight_smile: