First Cycle of Clomid! Nervous! Multiples?!?

I see a lot of woman saying that they are taking Clomid but are also getting ultrasounds to check the follie size. I don’t think that is common here - I have ‘busy ovaries’ and no other issues that stand out, but have not been successful in getting a :bfp: so in 2 days I start taking the Clomid in combo with the Metformin, then have the Progesterone test on CD23.

I’m nervous about the side effects, but I am more nervous that because of my busy ovaries that too many follies will mature and then the risk of multiples are even higher.

So anyone out there that is in a similar situation? How many mamas have gotten Clomid twins, triplets?

To clarify - I BELIEVE that I am ovulating without the Clomid - I have gotten +OPKs the last 2 months and the ovulation cramps to go along with them - but was told that because of my long cycles (38-42 days) - ALTHOUGH this last cycle was my shortest (33 days) that I may ovulate, but that the eggs can not be good because they are ‘cooking’ too long in your ovaries - and that the Clomid will shorten my cycle almost in half, making the eggs more viable.

I am just looking for some real woman experiences/advice and maybe a cycle buddy that is also starting Clomid in a couple of days so I can have someone to correspond with:cheer:

Clomid Multiples…

I used clomid when I was trying to have kids the first time around. I just didnt ovulate, maybe 2 or 3 times a year… made it nearly impossible to get pregnant… went on clomid, first month cycle…BAM- TWINS!:preg:

They are my 6 yr old monsters now! Wouldnt trade it for anything!!!

Best wishes love…

Aweee :slight_smile: Twins are not as scary sounding as… triplets! I just have a feeling with my busy ovaries this could be a very real possibility! Of course I would be happy to get PG at all!

I know the feeling, TTC now… did IVF, and im in Beta limbo hell… only way to put it. My signature kinda explains it… I will tell you this, no matter if it is twins, triplets, or a singleton… you as a woman/mom will do fabulous!!! always let people help…dont be stubborn like I was! LOL best wishes…

Ohh yes you sure are! Thanks for the words of encouragement! :cross: & :bsv: for you!!!

I got pregnant with twins my 4th month on Clomid. We lost one early on though. On all of my cycles I had between 3 and 5 follicles. On this sucessful round, I had 4 follicles. Now just to warn you, there is someone on one of the boards who found out recently that she’s carrying 4 healthy babies after a Clomid cycle. I would never consider Clomid without U/S monitoring. It’s way too risky. Yes, the odds of high multiples is pretty low, but you never know your own odds without being monitored closely. Good luck!

Thanks… I mean I don’t know if I have that option. It was not offered despite the doctor seeing that I have busy ovaries… she just said here’s the Clomid, here are the instructions and I have to go for the progesterone challenge test and if that didn’t work they have given me Prometrium and 100mg of Clomid. I asked other woman here in Canada if they had different experiences and was told that they were also just prescribed the drug and basically had the same instructions as I do which is to BD on CD10, 12, 14, 16 and go in on Day 28 to get the bloodwork.

I guess we will see what happens. I am very nervous, but I will hope that we get 1 healthy BFP!

Congrats on yours, very sorry to hear Baby A was not sticky, but gave all the stickiness to Baby B!

It can make a difference if you get a trigger or not as even if you do have two or three mature follicles often they do not all ovulate unless medicine is given to help in the final maturation process and to induce them all to ovulate. Also, although it is clear that with multiple eggs having ovulated the risk of multiples goes up the risk of twins is still only 30% I think so that means that even with two ovulated there is still a 70% chance of getting a singleton or none at all as opposed to twins. If you look for twins online of course you will find plenty of stories–just don’t let that sway you into thinking this happens more than it does. Of course it happens and you should be prepared for that possibility, but it is more likely that it won’t.

Also, with clomid it is not as likely to get more than I think 3 mature follicles (I mean it does happen, but not often and if it does then you will know you are one of those that is very easily stimmed). My OB/Gyn said that he liked to see 3 mature follilces though because the risk of them all fertilizing and implanting was low while it gave good odds that one at least would take. Of course your Doc may have a different number he shoots for. This is one of the positives to being monitored though because then if for some crazy reason you did have 5+ mature follicles then you could opt to avoid :dance: that cycle so as to avoid the possibility of 5+ kids, but at the same time since this is so rare with clomid that is one reason some Docs don’t think that monitoring like that is really warranted. Especially if you aren’t watching for certain sized follicles to trigger as without the trigger there is even less of a risk that they will all ovulate even if there are a couple.

Thanks! Yeah I think of course that Google is my enemy in this situation because searching Clomid Twins obviously brings story after story and I am just psyching myself out. I know it happens, and I am preparing for that, but I am starting out at 50mg - no mention of any trigger shot - I think depending on where you get this treatment the protocol is different. I spoke with other people here in Canada that I know and none of the woman that were given Clomid were monitored with u/s. Basically they give me 1 month to O on 50mg and if that doesn’t work I will take prometrium and bump to 100mg and so on.

Starting tomorrow! Not excited for the meds, but looking forward to hopefully the results!!

[QUOTE=TTCinCalgary]Thanks! Yeah I think of course that Google is my enemy in this situation because searching Clomid Twins obviously brings story after story and I am just psyching myself out. I know it happens, and I am preparing for that, but I am starting out at 50mg - no mention of any trigger shot - I think depending on where you get this treatment the protocol is different. I spoke with other people here in Canada that I know and none of the woman that were given Clomid were monitored with u/s. Basically they give me 1 month to O on 50mg and if that doesn’t work I will take prometrium and bump to 100mg and so on.

Starting tomorrow! Not excited for the meds, but looking forward to hopefully the results!![/QUOTE]

Yeah the side effects for me on the clomid were aweful, but I was also taking 150mg too. The worst part is about half way through the week of pills till a day or two after stopping the pills. I got headaches and found that they would start about 2-3pm everyday and then would get really bad by bedtime. I found that it helped to take tylenol and benedryl at lunch as this would keep the headache from ever getting that bad and sometimes would eliminate it ever starting. Also, I used icy hot on my neck too as it would get tense and make the headache worse so by rubbing the muscles with icy hot that seemed to keep the tension down and made me feel better.

The other annoying side effects for me were just feeling tired and my muscles being sore like I was sick and then not being able to sleep well at night due to hot flashes. I tried sleeping with a fan on me and that helped, but it also helped to just let myself get hot enough to sweat all over the place because although I was a little wet and that is kinda gross I slept better–LOL.

Anyway, some don’t get side effects so :cross: you are one of those and it isn’t that bad.

Sending you lots of :babydust: :babydust: for a quick :bfp:

Thanks! I reallllllly hope I am one of the few that breeze through the Clomid!

I was expecting all sorts of stuff with the Metformin, but I basically started at 1000mg and bumped to 1500mg right away without the…erm … unpleasant gastro-instestional effects. :cross: :cross: :cross:

Hi, I am new to this forum :slight_smile: i’m also starting clomid 50 mg tomorrow. i have a “touch” of pcos, my cycles are very out of whack but the metformin (1500mg) i started in october has helped, but still havent gotton my bfp and my cycles still run as high as 41 days. i start clomid tomorrow for 5 days then go in for monitering on the 12th to see when i do my trigger shot and get my first iui. im so nervous but excited!

my one question that i want to ask that i forgot to ask my nurse is should i take the clomid at a certain time, and should i take them at roughly the same time every day?

also good luck to you ttc, i hope we both get our bfp’s soon! (been trying for about 2 years now)

[QUOTE=LunnasMomma]Hi, I am new to this forum :slight_smile: i’m also starting clomid 50 mg tomorrow. i have a “touch” of pcos, my cycles are very out of whack but the metformin (1500mg) i started in october has helped, but still havent gotton my bfp and my cycles still run as high as 41 days. i start clomid tomorrow for 5 days then go in for monitering on the 12th to see when i do my trigger shot and get my first iui. im so nervous but excited!

my one question that i want to ask that i forgot to ask my nurse is should i take the clomid at a certain time, and should i take them at roughly the same time every day?

also good luck to you ttc, i hope we both get our bfp’s soon! (been trying for about 2 years now)[/QUOTE]

I was told by many women to take it an hour before bedtime so that any side effects that proceed it initially may be avoided by sleeping through it. Sounds like you and I are very similar situations (expect I don’t get a trigger shot) - Again, the trigger shot thing seems to be common in the US and other places, but here in Canada it seems like they rx you the Clomid and just monitor with the Day 23 Progesterone test.

Hello all! I’m new to this forum.

I’m excited, nervous and scared. My last clomid pill is tomorrow and then the BD:dance:

I keep having thoughts of what if it doesn’t work… And I’ve put my DH and my DS thru all these mood swings and my self thru the headaches,nausea, cramping and diarrhea for nothing. (Yes I had ALL the side effects)

Oh and my sister in law just told me she’s 12 weeks and I’m feeling a bit…hmmm jealous? Sad huh?

Ugh alliecat I know the feeling!! I’ve only taken one dose of clomid and no side affects yet

Ttcincalgary thanks for the reply. I took it in the afternoon with no problems as of yet. I work overnights and will be sleeping all day when I get home at 9am so maybe I will take it then. But then again I’m afraid of getting no sleep and might prefer to take it at night when I’m at work crashed on a couch for the night. I work at a group home.

I’m starting my second dose of Clomid tomorrow. I was on 50mg CD3-CD7, and it extended my cycle from 33-35 days to 45 days! :frowning: The only side effects I had were pretty severe abdominal cramping. I will be on 100mg this time. When I went in for bloodwork on CD24, my progesterone level was only 1.2 so my Dr. told me that I did not ovulate, and 50mg wasn’t a high enough dose for me.

[QUOTE=LunnasMomma]Ugh alliecat I know the feeling!! I’ve only taken one dose of clomid and no side affects yet

Ttcincalgary thanks for the reply. I took it in the afternoon with no problems as of yet. I work overnights and will be sleeping all day when I get home at 9am so maybe I will take it then. But then again I’m afraid of getting no sleep and might prefer to take it at night when I’m at work crashed on a couch for the night. I work at a group home.[/QUOTE]

:clap: congrats on the weight loss! I’ve been trying to lose weight too, but with my pcos it’s so difficult. I’ve lost 10 pounds but have been stuck there! On 3/13 I test to see if I have a :bfp: :pray:

Hi Ladies!

Just an update… I finished my Clomid last night and I am happy to report that I had NO side effects @ 50mg. I was really nervous, but I guess I am one of the lucky ones :clap: soo now I wait, and become the POAS addict that comes out every cycle.

I really think that I will O at this dosage because I am quite sure that I O’ed prior to clomid. Last month I had a +OPK, EWCM, O cramps but…:bfn: when I asked a friend of mine that is a doctor of Chinese medicine, working at a natural fertility clinic and she said it’s likely I did O, but because of my long cycles (33-42 days) that the egg ‘cooks’ too long and by the time of O, it’s not good anymore… she was the first person to give any kind of ‘explanation’ as I find the fertility clinic doctors just have a procedure and they don’t really know their patients… at least not here… I suppose I can’t complain… everything is covered for us in Canada so none of this is costing me…

Anyways :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: to ALL! I will update when i get the big O!

[QUOTE=TrishJ]I’m starting my second dose of Clomid tomorrow. I was on 50mg CD3-CD7, and it extended my cycle from 33-35 days to 45 days! :frowning: The only side effects I had were pretty severe abdominal cramping. I will be on 100mg this time. When I went in for bloodwork on CD24, my progesterone level was only 1.2 so my Dr. told me that I did not ovulate, and 50mg wasn’t a high enough dose for me.[/QUOTE]

Did you do OPKs and get a +? Here is why I ask. When they do a CD24 blood test they are assuming that you O’d prior to CD24… if, as in your circumstance, and mine PRIOR to Clomid - I wouldn’t have O’d according to OPK, CM, cramps until after CD24, so while a CD24 blood test might show you didn’t ovulate, it’s possible you did but just later than CD24?

Upping your dosage is still probably the best thing and hopefully it will shorten the cycle rather than extend it.

Good luck!

ivf icsi success

I had a really hard time trying to get pregnant, In 2008 i conceived very easily but sadly miscarried at 10 weeks, we struggled to conceive after that and i had to have IVF.

I want to give some support, help and encouragement to other Women/couples as i know how hard it is and would like to share my experience.
I have written a book about my experiences and it follows my diray accounts through my Four Miscarriages and one cycle of IVF (ICSI) Treatment, I now have two children, a daughter who is 2 and a Son 10 months (well almost!!)

The Gift of Life by Keily J Adey
ISBN 9781843868026
Pegasus Publishers
Available from Amazon, Waterstones, WH Smith, The book depository and many more.

About my book…
Through Multiple miscarriages, infertility and the possibility of giving bir child with special needs, Keily J Adey and her husband Paul, struggle to create the family that they have always wanted.

Her diary, a personal and graphic account of their life; the indignity and dismay of public heartache and medical examinations are an insight into how age, past medical history and money can all affect a strong relationship and the prospect of ever becoming a family.
[RIGHT]http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/images/adoption/buttons/edit.gif[/URL] [URL=“http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1108529268”]http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/images/adoption/buttons/quote.gif[/URL] [URL=“http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1108529268”]http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/images/adoption/buttons/quickreply.gif [/RIGHT]