First post here and need feedback of DH's recent (and first) Semen Analysis!

Hi all!

Me: 28, history of screwed up hormones
DH: 32, healthy except for a unilateral vericocele (left side)

We haven’t started TTC yet but we’re going to this spring. We are trying to get our ducks in a row, medically speaking, given my history of progesterone deficiency/weird hormones and his vericocele.

DH just had his first SA the other day, after about 36 hours of abstinence (I know it’s supposed to be 42, ideally), and these were the results:

Count: 36 million
Motility: 40%
Morphology: 15%

I know these aren’t the greatest numbers in the world but we also don’t want to jump into vericocele repair surgery if there’s a decent chance I could get pregnant without that. I got the feeling the urologist would be happy to have DH go under the knife right away since, obviously, that will mean more money for him. I’ve been poking around online and am trying to figure out just how bad (or good) DH’s numbers are, but I’ve seen a lot of conflicting information.

We just went out and bought a whole bunch of supplements that are supposed to help with sperm quality so he and I are both embarking on a detox/exercise/supplement regimen for the next 3-4 months. I’m inclined to just focus on that stuff for a while and then re-test in the spring and see if there’s any improvement.

Anyway if anyone has any feedback re: DH’s SA results I would love to hear it. We are new to this stuff! It seems like by some standards his numbers are normal or near normal, whereas the doctor made him feel like he would DEFINITELY need the surgery.

I think he will get the surgery eventually anyway, but it would be nice to get pregnant and THEN have him do the procedure once some of the pressure is off. Also the procedure itself can actually REDUCE counts for months, before you see the big improvement, and we would really like to be pregnant within the next year if possible.

Anyway like I said, any and all feedback is welcome!

Thanks all!

I think you have a very reasonable plan. One thing that really seemed to help my husband (whose SA is far, far worse), was Royal Jelly. When I took it for egg quality improvement, I made him take it as well just for sympathy. Interestingly enough, he had his best count ever with it! (And it was the only change between the SA studies.)

My husband takes CardioTek (prescription vitamin given by RE), a multi-vitamin with DHA, and Folbic (also given by RE). He also took Royal Jelly, though hasn’t bought more since our plans have totally changed and we only need about 30 good sperm.

He has also drastically reduced his caffeine. He now wears boxers and avoids our heated mattress pad. He has never drank or smoked, so these were not modifiable for him.

Varicocoele repairs may or may not work. (My husband didn’t have one, so it didn’t play into our decisions.) As a surgeon (which means I’m biased), I would have highly encouraged/demanded him to have it repaired as it is a “modifiable” cause of male-factor infertility. But, with your DH’s counts…getting pregnant spontaneously IS possible. For us, it wasn’t. I think you are right either way in terms of trying for awhile or going to the OR.

Best wishes and I hope your plans result in a BFP in the coming months!

I don’t think that is low at all. I guess it depends on how many ml he had in that count and if the 36 was total or per ml. But really, a natural pregnancy can happen with those numbers.

Here are the new guidelines to s/a that came out a few months back.

methods: Semen samples from over 4500 men in 14 countries on four continents were obtained from retrospective and prospective
analyses on fertile men, men of unknown fertility status and men selected as normozoospermic. Men whose partners had a time-topregnancy
(TTP) of <12 months were chosen as individuals to provide reference distributions for semen parameters. Distributions were
also generated for a population assumed to represent the general population.
results: The following one-sided lower reference limits, the fifth centiles (with 95th percent confidence intervals), were generated from
men whose partners had TTP < 12 months: semen volume, 1.5 ml (1.4–1.7); total sperm number, 39 million per ejaculate (33–46); sperm
concentration, 15 million per ml (12–16); vitality, 58% live (55–63); progressive motility, 32% (31–34); total (progressive þ nonprogressive)
motility, 40% (38–42); morphologically normal forms, 4.0% (3.0–4.0). Semen quality of the reference population was superior
to that of the men from the general population and normozoospermic men.
conclusions: The data represent sound reference distributions of semen characteristics of fertile men in a number of countries. They
provide an appropriate tool in conjunction with clinical data to evaluate a patient’s semen quality and prospects for fertility.

Hey there. My hubby’s SA showed 37 mil. With only 7% as fast motility. We had an Iui, and conceived. I would look into everything before he went under the knife! Good luck!! :babydust: